It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's revisit Biden's 2013 "Buy a shotgun" recommendation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Biden's "buy a shotgun" statement became a meme. It even inspired songs. When I watch it, I conclude two things immediately. First, he wanted to sound like he was knowledgeable about weapons. Second, that he was cool. He was macho. Was it good or bad advice? A man in Washington State who was arrested for discharging a shotgun within city limits tried to use the "Biden defense." The argument was "I just did what the vice president said to do." Classic!
It didn't work, though.

The Biden interview:

Biden stated in the interview that he and his wife lived in a "wooded area that's somewhat secluded". People accused him of lying, and asked "Doesn't the V.P. and their family live on The White House grounds?" Biden's defenders, even some law enforcement people said that a shotgun IS good for home defense. No argument there! But what about "firing two blasts into the air"? Who in the world would consider that a sensible thing to do?

The one comment that became famous was made by a sheriff in rural Texas. The comment is still being used. In fact, I see it on YT and I've seen it on blog posts. I'll paste it here. A local news reporter asked the sheriff to listen to the Biden statement. Upon hearing Biden's advice, he didn't hesitate one second. He replied:
"The vice president just advised people to recklessly and illegally discharge a shotgun into the air. Both barrels. Now they're totally defenseless." Ya gotta admit, that's hilarious.
Many LEOs then back-peddled, saying things like "Er, um...What I meant was...a shotgun is good for protection, but DON'T do what Biden said."

Some of Biden's stuff just keeps living on. There's even a Wiki Page about it.
I think there was a punk band that titled an album "Just Buy a Shotgun".

The song:

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Oh my! Was that really 2013? Time flies!

I remember some funny videos of people firing rifles with no problems whatsoever and then some shooting shotguns and flying backwards on their bums!

Jolly good they were.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:44 PM
link   

The first thing I noticed was how badly his mental state deteriorated in 6 short years. And I only say 6 because we didn't hear much from him after 2016, until 2019.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
Biden's "buy a shotgun" statement became a meme. It even inspired songs. When I watch it, I conclude two things immediately. First, he wanted to sound like he was knowledgeable about weapons. Second, that he was cool. He was macho. Was it good or bad advice? A man in Washington State who was arrested for discharging a shotgun within city limits tried to use the "Biden defense." The argument was "I just did what the vice president said to do." Classic!
It didn't work, though.

The Biden interview:

Biden stated in the interview that he and his wife lived in a "wooded area that's somewhat secluded". People accused him of lying, and asked "Doesn't the V.P. and their family live on The White House grounds?" Biden's defenders, even some law enforcement people said that a shotgun IS good for home defense. No argument there! But what about "firing two blasts into the air"? Who in the world would consider that a sensible thing to do?

The one comment that became famous was made by a sheriff in rural Texas. The comment is still being used. In fact, I see it on YT and I've seen it on blog posts. I'll paste it here. A local news reporter asked the sheriff to listen to the Biden statement. Upon hearing Biden's advice, he didn't hesitate one second. He replied:
"The vice president just advised people to recklessly and illegally discharge a shotgun into the air. Both barrels. Now they're totally defenseless." Ya gotta admit, that's hilarious.
Many LEOs then back-peddled, saying things like "Er, um...What I meant was...a shotgun is good for protection, but DON'T do what Biden said."

Some of Biden's stuff just keeps living on. There's even a Wiki Page about it.
I think there was a punk band that titled an album "Just Buy a Shotgun".

The song:

Lol, I bet he doesn't even have a double barreled shotgun.

But, while shotguns are good for defense to my understanding, it's illegal to discharge one's weapon as a warning.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Last year, Biden said an offender should be shot in the leg. Are there shotguns that accurate and small bored?

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Im currently nuke shopping Biden said we needed one. and apparently i need to start building a runway for my f15 in my backyard.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
Im currently nuke shopping Biden said we needed one. and apparently i need to start building a runway for my f15 in my backyard.

I hope you've converted it to an eco friendly F-15. You dodged a bullet, no pun intended, since you don't have to shoot the nuke out of a barrel.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 04:21 PM
link   

The instant a politician tells We the People we "don't need" something, that's a great indication that it is exactly what each of us need and should have in abundance.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I know a dude in Arkansas that actually does have an F-15.
He's a millionaire and bought $7,000,000 dollars worth of Pepsi bucks.
It was supposed to be a Harrier.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Yes, you could shoot someone in the leg at probably 20 yards or less but they will bleed out quickly. Picture a box as wide as a persons shounders and from the top of their head to their knees. A reasonable hit at close range within that box, like inside a house, will do so much dammage they will expire in only a couple of minutes. This includes bird shot at under 10 yards.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

I have a gun enthusiast buddy that has some wicked shotgun loads. One type of round is nicknamed "The Trocars". Plural. Trocar(s). It's a spinning brass saw. The rounds are $10.00 apiece. These things are scary.

He also has these:

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I’m going to write a song called if the dumpsters on fire let it burn. Lol watching that buy a shotgun coming from baby Huey always makes me sarcastically laugh inside.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Madviking

But, while shotguns are good for defense to my understanding, it's illegal to discharge one's weapon as a warning.

It's not illegal to fire a warning shot.
What is illegal is to admit firing a warning shot.

You will have a lot better defense by tell the cops that you were firing to take out a threat and were unlucky and missed.

edit on 25-6-2021 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED

It's not illegal to fire a warning shot.
What is illegal is to admit firing a warning shot.

You will have a lot better defense by tell the cops that you were firing to take out a threat and were unlucky and missed.

That's incorrect...

It's explicitly illegal to shoot warning shot up in the air, whether or not you get caught or can play it off.

It's also illegal to brandish a weapon to warn people, i.e. pulling the gun and pointing it at them and telling them to stop whatever they are doing.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 08:07 AM
link   

It's also illegal to brandish a weapon to warn people, i.e. pulling the gun and pointing it at them and telling them to stop whatever they are doing.

This all depends on what State you are in and where you physically are when you do this. It isn't so cut and dry.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

This all depends on what State you are in and where you physically are when you do this. It isn't so cut and dry.
In my original post, that the person responded to, I said in most locations in the US, as a qualifier.

Generally speaking, however, even with a concealed carry permit one cannot "brandish" their firearm, nor fire a warning shot. Or, at the least with pulling the gun, one may be in trouble depending on location and situation. You are right that the law varies across states.

www.usconcealedcarry.com...

blog.gunassociation.org...

Here's the thing, I actually disagree with these laws. I'm sure you have seen these stats get thrown around that a majority of such encounters end just by someone showing a gun, and not having to fire it. Since when do we we want people to go from zero to shooting someone with no recourse in between in potentially life threatening situations? I personally think there is a place for a warning. Many criminals or attackers will stop after seeing the warning.

It could even be argued that IF someone gets into legal trouble pulling a gun, firing a warning shot, etc, and the situation ends with nobody getting killed or shot, then they may actually suffer less over a lifetime (both parties).
edit on 25-6-2021 by Madviking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Madviking

Where I live I can walk out of my house with any firearm I choose to carry. I have a shooting range on my property, and it was approved by the local police.

My wife noticed a guy fishing in our pond a few years back. She came out onto the deck with a cell phone and an M-1 carbine. Asked him to leave. He claimed that my backyard (6 acres with a 1 acre pond) was a public park. Cops got called. Guy taken away in a cop car. Wife was told that she did the right thing to come out armed in our rural area by the police. End of story.

My wife is an Army vet, and thinks the M-1 is just the cat's meow for home defense. It is her rifle, and I think it is a fine little shooter for her.

When my gal comes out of the back door and tells you to leave, you should leave. Nothing about brandishing a firearm involved. It is her backyard, and get the hell off her lawn.

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Havamal

You are in a location that is more self-defense/castle doctrine friendly I presume. Remember, in St. Louis and Wisconsin, home owners were charged for brandishing their firearms during the 2020 riots..

new topics

top topics

join