It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychiatry Pseudoscience?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 09:24 AM
link   
There's a great speach by Physicist Richard Feynman on why the social sciences aren't real science here:

I think a law has been found for schizophrenia as the condition is caused by alterations to the brain structure which are detectable by MRI, but that may be more neurology which is a true science.

I see neurologists regularly due to epillepsy, brain injury and an incredibly rare birth defect.they're incredibly open about how complex the human brain is. They regularly state they're only just scraping the surface of how they brain works and that cause, prognosis and treatment are impossible to precribe as there's billions of variables involved.

While a lot of people do get huge benefits from pshychiatry and psychology they're not true sciences yet. I think it will become one very soon due to more advanced technology and methodology but should be taken with a pinch of salt for now.

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Nice coincidence. Just got a near perfect Folio Society copy of Feynmans Easy & Not-So-Easy Pieces this morning while scavenging around charity shops. Looking forward to that one.

Vilayanur Ramachandran is also an interesting guy. I enjoyed The Emerging Mind. Great book. Also available as a series of Reith lectures which were broadcast on radio 4.
I get the impression he wouldn't be in favour of simply drugging patients for the profits.

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

There's a great speech by Physicist Richard Feynman on why the social sciences aren't real science here:

Thanks for posting that Feynman vid mate - couldn't agree more with the chap but would probably go a step further and say that psychiatry (and 'social sciences') have no scientific foundation whatsoever and are basically 'fabricated'.

Suppose claims about deductive reasoning are all well and good but when you factor in the massive corruption from big pharma then there are 84 billion other reasons (per year) why it shouldn't masquerade as 'science'.

She doesn't mention the financial kickbacks but thought there was a pretty honest appraisal from a psychiatrist here - the film below is also worth a watch if you're interested.

Medicating Normal is the untold story of what can happen when profit-driven medicine intersects with human beings in distress.

Video

The MRI data does sound intriguing and suppose if proven then this would be the first piece of objective evidence (ever) - do you know of any links?

posted on Jun, 26 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   
At one time, diabetes was treated as a psychiatric disorder.(1950s)

Not that long ago (less than 10 years ago)fibromyalgia was treated as a psychiatric disorder.

Now they have found many people with fibromyalgia really have small fiber polyneuropathy.

I was DXed with fibromyalgia in 2004 and treated with anti depressants for pain that did nothing.
At the same time I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis

A few years ago I found the research done showing about 50% of those DXed with fibromyalgia had small fiber polyneuropathy.
Since I have done my own research and found that one of the autoimmune disorders can cause small fiber polyneuropathy in about 80% of those with this autoimmune disorder(sarcoidosis) I now know that I have"sarcoidosis associated small fiber polyneuropathy".

I still have problems with some doctors that see the diagnosis of fibromyalgia on my medical records.
A very few doctors understand and have added small fiber neuropathy to my records.
edit on 26-6-2021 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Psychiatry is dangerous pseudoscience.

The psychiatric drugs they want to use cause new symptoms when withdrawn which then intepreted as a sign of illness instead of withdrawal reaction from the drugs that are used. For some patients the withdrawal symptoms may last for several months after drug has disappeared from the body meaning psychiatric hospitalisation and more drugs.

Psychiatry has no time solve patients problems. For example, good socal network can mean others can say if patients behaviour becomes psychotic to the patient so (s)he can change his/her behaviour and don't need drugs. Additionally, just resting in a psychiatric hospital may be enough to reduce psychiatric symtoms so that hospital or drug treatment is not needed but instead they use force to drug patient's against their will meaning often life long treatment.

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Psychiatry is dangerous pseudoscience.

The psychiatric drugs they want to use cause new symptoms when withdrawn which is then intepreted as a sign of illness instead of withdrawal reaction from the drugs that are used. For some patients the withdrawal symptoms may last for several months after drug has disappeared from the body meaning psychiatric hospitalisation and more drugs.

Psychiatry has no time solve patients problems. For example, good socal network can mean others can say if patients behaviour becomes psychotic to the patient so (s)he can change his/her behaviour and don't need drugs. Additionally, just resting in a psychiatric hospital may be enough to reduce psychiatric symtoms so that hospital or drug treatment is not needed but instead they use force to drug patients against their will meaning often life long treatment.
edit on 28-6-2021 by redshift80 because: corrected few typing errors

posted on Jun, 28 2021 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

Haven't seen these yet but there's a full length documentary by CCHR called The marketing of madness available on dvd.

I've got it and would recommend finding it if possible. Did a brief search on YouTube but couldn't see it although I only had a quick look.

Am about an hour in mate - fascinating stuff.

The Marketing of Madness - Full Documentary

This is a Documentary and will provide the facts about psychotropic drugs and the huge profits they create for the pharmaceutical industry.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Having been abused by psychiatry. One conspiracy i have is that there are some psychiatrists at every mental health base that involves checking for psychic individuals.

During the MK ultra era was also the psychic war race with Russia and China. Over the years the psychiatrists catalogued all of these abilities of the people claiming different things.

I also believe, my own opinion, that the gangstalkers people hear about now. Have ties with the psychiatrists to "force" people with psychic or exceptional abilities to seek medical help. Allowing the psychiatrist to neutralize the xman in question with harmful drugs. Theyve been combing the country for awhile now with GATE programs and the like.

These are just a few thoughts i had over the years.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wirecrash

Having been abused by psychiatry. One conspiracy i have is that there are some psychiatrists at every mental health base that involves checking for psychic individuals.

Sorry to hear about that mate and think it's fair to say you are not alone there.

Despite all the (very) disturbing experiments described in the government documents many FOIA researchers suspect they were just the tip of the iceberg as Richard Helms ordered the destruction of all related files.

Some pretty crazy speculation here and some revealing CIA memos shown at this page although guess we'll never know the true extent of it.

Index To Entire FOIA Archive of CIA Mind Control Documents

Also yet another interesting document below following comments made by Colonel J R Rees at 0:40 in this vid.

Document written by Colonel J R Rees October 1940 Strategic Planning for Mental Health.

Document - PDF File

Key quotes in the text cover....."Infiltration of social organisations, Our attack on the professions, Long term plan of propaganda, Personality tests for Members of Parliament, Keep [this] Council and our true work hidden.....don't mention Mental Hygiene but do use Mental Health and commonsense....Experiment with films...the right propaganda.....the Oxford Group....Go to it."

This document formulates a hidden and subversive plan to implement Mental Hygiene on British people and society. By Mental Hygiene they mean to re-educate, re-frame, force people into their new way of thinking. Those achieving the new mind-set are deemed hygienic or in a clean state of mental health. [The inference from other documents on this subject and period is that those who do not submit to the new society and hive thought process will be eradicated under the eugenics programmes.]

Rees was involved with the Tavistock Institute and in 1948 was President of the World Federation of Mental Health. Tavistock is a key root of mind control and psychiatric subversion as developed by the Frankfurt School which researched ways of destroying western christian cultures by means of psychological attack on families and society..

link

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Psychiatry was a reflection of the times it was created. Freud likened the human mind to that of a steam engine where pressure builds up that needs to be released or in some other way addressed to avoid overloads or distortions in thinking. These days we think of it as a computer, and that it is a bunch of wires and switches that interact with some kind of memory storage system.

Both of these are quite wrong. These days, I've been leaning towards the idea that there really isn't anything that could be called a "mind," and that pretty much all of our thoughts and behaviors are a result of simple basic neural responses to stimuli. Nothing much more than that, although there are certainly many things that could go wrong with that process. Our thoughts and memories are a result of familiar stimuli interacting with our visual cortex, flowing through well-worn neural pathways. We like to kid ourselves that it is something profound, but it's mostly junk, rehashing old symbols, looking for patterns that might help us eat and sleep and procreate.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

It's worth the time.
Lots to digest so I need to watch it again soon.

Sent a PM, too.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
There's a great speach by Physicist Richard Feynman on why the social sciences aren't real science here:

And here is this guy thinking his imaginary bits of energy popping in and out of reality is somehow more "hard science" and not just stacking angels on top of angels on top of pinheads.

posted on Jul, 15 2021 @ 04:19 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2021 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The real hardcore "soft" science is Sociology, of which I happen to hold a degree. It's Sociology that studies and controls the propaganda, the rumors, the advertising, the wild stories, the myths and political philosophies that have resulted in the deaths of scores millions more people on the planet over the last couple of centuries than any silly little atomic light bomb.

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Very interesting post there mate.

Thought this vid was also relevant as it shows how big pharma is solely driven by profit (as if we didn't know that already).

Also thought this was a good one showing the insane corruption of 'regulatory agencies' like the FDA and how they receive huge bribes from the same companies they are meant to regulate.

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I've been in the system for several decades.

I'm doing better, but mostly through cognitive behavioural therapy and my own coping skills.

MKULTRA is a big part of it, but I won't get into it.

I finally quit going to my provider when they started upping my intakes (which I can't afford that many frequent visits) because I told them I was having mild hallucinations again.

I did not say they were causing me distress or anything, but the doctors immediate response was to try and get me on a new medicine. For a while I wanted to make a shirt that said LAB RAT. FItting, I thought. My therapist thought it was funny.

I recently found out the antipsychotic I've been on causes permanant brain damage, so I quit taking them despite my doctors insistance I needed to "take them everyday".

I am no longer experiencing psychosis and I've been off them for several months.

I still hear voices on occassion, but I've heard them my whole life and they are back to being kind, conversational and nonintrusive.

I am currently dealing with a hefty bout of depression and cyclic reinforcement of prior traumas, which reinforce a sense of futility and helplessness.

It's a herculean effort to get dressed, but I have to get up and fight through it or else I just lie in bed and suffer through the PTSD again.

I wish it would stop, I've been trying everything in my arsenal to combat this, but I'm just tired of fighting.

I miss the kind voices, but they seem to have lost interest and have abandoned me.

Thankfully, my husband and my loving family keep me from giving up.

Ony the strong survive, and I'm not giving up.

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I love psychology, I love to think about how people are and why they're doing what they're doing.
There are actually useful things. Controlled coping. But inbetween you need to breathe too.
The actual difference between the normal and those deviating from the norm is the same as sensitive and smart enough to notice.
Everybody and I mean everybody has those 'knocks' some just never think about what they think. Or burry it. Or deny it applies to them. Justify it as their superhero secret. Or just never talk about it.
Possibilities are endless. But who'd like to be known for 'psychotic is normal'? People are psychotic. By default.
And I would assume there once was a cultural technology to guide us through, but it got lost in time.
And now it's a gateway to a lifelong drug addiction.

Hang in there. In comparison to the whole population: you're doing great.
It's fine.

posted on Dec, 29 2021 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Awww thanks Peeple.

It's hard going some days but I'm doing better so I can't complain much.

Still working certain things out.

Slow and steady.

posted on Feb, 16 2022 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Pseudoscience at best,run by emotionless no good doing so called doctors.No interest in health, just money from very dangerous drugs.They claim to know psyche, but all they talk is brain.So,it is drug incuded neurology or what?I would agree that is connected with some experiments, as in past they were operating on brains and killing people.Now,they are respected part of society, looked upon as some kind of idols, like they know how to help.But,they don't.They still doing experiments, with their drugs, claiming they healed, but they didn't.Neither,their theories are lacking.It full od bs, they are just bs sellers.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 06:35 PM
link   
New non surprising article:

There is no clear evidence that depression is caused by low serotonin levels, research suggests.

The new review, which analysed existing studies, suggests the condition is not likely caused by a chemical imbalance, and calls into question what antidepressants do.

Researchers say their findings are important as studies show that as many as 85-90% of the public believes that depression is caused by low serotonin or a chemical imbalance.

link

No # they do - it's because they believed 'professionals' financially sponsored by 'corporations'.

As stated in the first post there's no good scientific reason why 'psychiatry' should exist (other than profit).

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join