It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy Detonates 40,000 Pound Bomb To Test Ship War Readiness; Triggers 3.9 Earthquake

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Our battleship's harder then your battleship ... ner ner na ner ner !

In a display meant for external consumption as well as domestic the great US military detonated a 40,000 Pound Bomb in proximity of the USS Gerald R. Ford as part of its "Full Ship Shock Trials" , so as long as a bomb doesn't actually hit the ship we're all good ...very impressive.

Shame about the wildlife obliterated though , how long will it be before we do the same to ourselves , tic tic tic.

Of note is the resounding negativity toward this "test" in the comments section of the youtube video although it is John Geenewald's channel so I guess a more thinking type of community.

edit on 22-6-2021 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   
All well and good if the enemy is aiming a hundred yards off the starboard side with a 40,000lb shell.

Nowadays they have missiles that don't miss. Maybe they are hoping to get into a second world war launching shells type of conflict.

A pretty show though.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Pretty cool video... I wonder if there's ever any risk of creating an artificial tsunami by doing something like this? Do they pick a really deep part of the ocean?

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm sure that have supercomputers that could perform an extremely accurate simulation of this. What a waste of resources and the environment.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Did anyone go out and pick up the stunned fish? Man, missed a good ole fish fry...

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Shame about the wildlife obliterated though , how long will it be before we do the same to ourselves

I'm sick of seeing dead whales and dolphins on beaches, dead birds concentrated in various areas around the world.

Demonstrations such as this, that cause earthquakes would surely also cause issues with wildlife - this is not even debatable yet when we see these dead animals we are "oh, I wonder what caused that".

Stupid humans.

Impressive, not impressive.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:04 PM
link   
It's a shock test. It gives the ship a jolt to check out how well things are mounted, wires connected, etc., etc. I was on the Forrestal for one in 1985. No big deal.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   

As far as sea life hopefully they were smart enough to choose an area with none. Large areas of the ocean have nothing but plankton depending on the time of year etc. I'm just not sure what this was supposed to prove my guess is some admirals sitting around going hey let's blow something up. We cant well then we could just make a huge explosion that would be cool. Yeah, it would but how are we going to get this funded? Well, we could call it a test. Yeah, that's good we will test the hell out of these explosives.

Though I admit it is cool I see little value in this

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
Pretty cool video... I wonder if there's ever any risk of creating an artificial tsunami by doing something like this? Do they pick a really deep part of the ocean?

0% chance, it doesn't displace anywhere near the amount of water you would need.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
It's a shock test. It gives the ship a jolt to check out how well things are mounted, wires connected, etc., etc. I was on the Forrestal for one in 1985. No big deal.

So you set off explosives to see if stuff falls? Wouldnt it be cheaper to just send someone on an inspection of the ship making sure stuff is secured?

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

The test was conducted 100 miles from Florida's Daytona Beach.
www.dnaindia.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Did the bomb really trigger an earthquake?
Or did the shockwave register 3.9 on a seismic monitor nearby?

The latter is my guess

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   

This showed up on the USGS EQ tracker that day as an "experimental Explosion" I think.
I was wondering what it was.

Now I know.

Cool video too!

Thanks for sharing!

edit on 22-6-2021 by Darkblade71 because: added pic

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The latter is my guess

Me too.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I think they blew up one of them USO/UAP thingamajigs down there.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
I'm sure that have supercomputers that could perform an extremely accurate simulation of this. What a waste of resources and the environment.

I agree with your statement in full. A waste of our taxpayer dollars to detonate a 40,000lb bomb when I'm sure we conducted similar tests in the 60's and 70's. As you said we can run highly advanced computer simulation testing. Maybe they are testing resilience of a new D dot D metal alloy made in zero gravity with an electrical.charge...oops oh well I'm sure that info is well known.

And what about the sea life, is it just the usual "to hell with it it'll grow back at some point" attitude we have usually taken? The natives consider things like this crimes against nature (from my understanding anyway). SMFH... We have such advanced stuff that this crap isn't necessary anymore. As cool as it looks it makes no sense.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

All missiles miss at some point. There's no such thing as 100% effective. They have a significantly higher hit percentage, but everything misses at some point.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

The test was conducted 100 miles from Florida's Daytona Beach.

Just where that USO base is.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:58 PM
link   

They donate smaller charges prior to the test. Those are designed to chase wildlife away before they donate the primary charge.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

They didn't cause an earthquake. The explosion showed as a 3.9 on seismographs, but there was no earthquake. They also run as much wildlife away as possible before the test.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join