It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hyundai Buys Boston Dynamics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The world's fifth largest car maker is making plans in robotics advancement. What better company to grab than Boston Dynamics?

Korea Herald

"Hyundai Motor Group said Monday its three affiliates and its chief have acquired a controlling stake in US-based robotics firm Boston Dynamics for US$880 million."

Obviously it will aid in their robotic car manufacturing systems but they have other ideas as well. Seems they'll be looking into finally allowing us to have those flying cars we've been waiting on for so long:

"...half of the group’s business will be related to car manufacturing, followed by urban air mobility with 30 percent and robotics with 20 percent."

It's the "urban air mobility" part that really grabs my attention.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Lest us not forget Boston Dynamics work on military exo skeletons… maybe they will have mechs in the east after all?

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Good point. I'm way in favor of seeing mech troopers in action. Go Gundam!

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

World leading US firm sold to foreign interests, the future....

Bad, bad move, all for very short-term gains, and for a pittance, $880 million.

By comparison, a single ordinary chip fab plant runs into the billions to build.
Shame...

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

A little late to be concerned about that as Google sold BD to a Japanese firm awhile back.

"Boston Dynamics whose value is estimated at $1.1 billion, from Japanese investment firm SoftBank Group Capital"

From the article.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex

originally posted by: M5xaz

A little late to be concerned about that as Google sold BD to a Japanese firm awhile back.

"Boston Dynamics whose value is estimated at $1.1 billion, from Japanese investment firm SoftBank Group Capital"

From the article.

I am aware.

Regardless, it is peculiar that no American firm was willing to buy it.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Interesting! On all fronts (who purchased, who passed, and the question of “why”??)

There is “swarm” tech that is other aerospace/robotics area where “the real deal” will be. But the possibility of “robot cats/dogs” is awesome (or fearful depending on how you see it)! And what a car company will do with this tech will be fun to follow (while we can… could all go dark” again). Lockheed doing distributed as well.

Maybe that “lone wolf” robots are not what they are cracked up to be!

5G is coming!! 6G is already here! And now we have predator robots made by an assembly line factory to keep us Pleebs in our place!!

Long live The Revolution!!!

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

BTW, I know a great movie you might like. It's called "terminator". Check it out.

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 11:12 AM
link   

The Hyundai Elantra was the best car I ever owned.

Can't wait to see their version of the Honda Asimo.

top topics

join