It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metroid Dread Announce Trailer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 04:07 PM
link   
If you're a fan of metroid, you've likely heard of the fabled Metroid Dread that was supposed to be the next installment of the series. It was rumoured to be in development in the mid-2000's and a hidden message in Metroid Prime 3 alluded to a soon to be coming Metroid Dread. Over the years though it seemed like it would never come out.

Well Nintendo pulled a Duke Nukem Forever on everybody and finally after almost 15 years. Metroid 5 will be released on October 8. It will be the first brand new 2d Metroid game since Metroid Fusion.

It looks pretty damn good. The metroid 2 remake was somewhat disappointing, especially compared to AM2R, so you never know, but it does look pretty impressive. This is something I'd probably buy a switch for this to be honest.
edit on 21/6/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Damn, I miss side-scrollers. This looks great!

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The first game i received for my SNES was Super Metroid from my grandma and grandpa. It pulled me in as a young boy and I would pour over the manual for hours because back then games came with full colo manuals that usually has high detail drawings of the world or enemies. It undoubtedly is what sparked my lust for video games especially ones of this nature. Like Castlevania,Ori, hyperlight drifter, hollow knight ect.

I changed my title to the The Last Metroid to celebrate the release when I heard the news very exciting!

a reply to: dug88

edit on 21-6-2021 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Years ago I walked into store called Brendle's and in the electronics section there was a SNES hooked up to small TV on a pole.

Super Metroid was on the screen so I tinkered with it but could not figure out what to do. There was Samus and a hovering ship and a blue door like thing...I gave up.

Few years later I start hanging with a new friend and was at his house chilling and he's playing Super Metroid. I was blown away. By then I owned a SNES and went out and bought it.

This game played just like Super Mario Bros., you had to keep it moving, and I did see him beat it under 3:00 minutes but he never beat the other times, for the super secret special endings.

I got good at it. Couldn't find all the missiles and bombs but I did beat it and see the regular ending.

Nintendo fell off with me because they never made a Metroid 64.

As far as I'm concerned that's the dumbest move any company has ever made.

There was such a huge success with Ocarina of Time, Zelda, DK, Metroid, and Mario were the blood of Nintendo. Mario 64 and Zelda OoT were great games - I never played any Mario titles past Super Mario Bros.

Metroid Prime was freaking awesome. I loved the dark tone and solace. The story was great.

This one's 2D...Well whatever.
I don't get Nintendo's strategy sometimes.

It does look interesting, I give it that. I guess nostalgia is a good thing from time to time.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: EdisonintheFM

This one's 2D...Well whatever.
I don't get Nintendo's strategy sometimes.

As it should be. The mainline series has always been 2d. Other M was a travesty. The prime games were awesome, well the first two, but the heart of the series has always been the 2d mainline games. Honestly, I'm not expecting another super metroid, prime 1 was the closest I think we'll ever get to that.

Prime 4 is apparently in development though, who knows, maybe it'll take less time than Dread.

Hollow Knight comes really close to a spiritual successor to Super Metroid though, it's the first game I played in a long time that gave me the same feeling as my cousin and I sitting around a small screen in the dark some time in 1995 or so playing super metroid lost in Maridia while the strange ocean monsters hunted us.

Dark Souls 1 is another pretty great 3d game that captures the joy of exploring an interconnected gated semi-open world.

a reply to: Athetos

Metroidvania games are by far my favourite genre of game. All because of Super Metroid. Me and my cousin played through it together the first time on his SNES. Heh...somehow...i ended up with the copy after all these years
. Needs a battery change though. SRAM hasn't worked for like 15 years.
edit on 22/6/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 01:30 AM
link   

If you haven’t played the bloodstained games, I thoroughly recommend them

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I have, they were decent, more Symphony of the Night is always good

I've gone through most of the metroidvania games out there these days, even though it's gotten more popular, it's still a bit underrepresented. Been waiting on Silksong for a while now.

If we're making recommendations, check out Axiom Verge or Salt and Sanctuary if you've never played them. Axiom Verge is straight Metroid inspired, Salt and Sanctuary is a 2d Dark souls/Castlevania hybrid.

Both are great in different ways.
edit on 22/6/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Well the game drops in few hours I’ll dig in and post a review.

new topics

top topics

join