It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing Corn, I Hope.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Don’t feel bad, where I live there are generations of corn growers and this year all the crops look so sad.
Some aren’t even a foot high yet.

I bought some hull-less Japanese corn to plant and not a single one came up. We’ve had very abnormal weather though.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Starcrossd

Cheers for the input Starcrossd pritty much thats what i got last year small ears about 10-15cm and underdeveloped.

Ile get some of that kelp mix from Blueplanet and see if it helps.

So far i have been using fish blood/bone mix which i thought was adequate, but maybe not. LoL

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Indeed JAGStorm, our Summer thus far has been a bit of a mixed bag also with temperature hardly breaking 60c on most days.

You could try germinating the Japanese seeds inside, let them sprout a few inches before planting outside and see if that works.

That's what im forced to do here in bonny freezing cold Scotland, canny complain today nether its 65c out right now with not a cloud in the sky.
edit on 22-6-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Just wondering if i can pick your brains a little bit longer troops.

Above are pics of my control plant and its root system.

How come if the reason my corn planed outside leaves turning yellow is a nitrogen deficiency, when the control plant, which was grown inside, and received no fertiliser other than the compost it was grown in, is green as can be and twice as large as the ones outside?

Its the weather at a guess, fecking Scotland, we better never have to feed ourselves, that all im suggesting. LoL

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 06:42 AM
link   

If you grew corn in the same place last year, it could be that the soil is so nutrient starved that it needed even more fertilizer, or mulched with compost?

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I rotate through, plus add a few bags of fertilizer to the plot every spring.

Corn was up top tear last year as opposed to the bottom one this year.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 06:44 AM
link   

I know it was not directed at me...

If you have nutrient lock out due to over feeding or because of PH range being off, the plant can not absorb the nutrients and shows nutrient deficiencies even though there are plenty of nutrients in the soil, another thing to consider is the more light hits the plant the more photosynthesis happens, and more nutrients are needed.

Has your control plant the exact same earth?

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

You fire away all advice is welcome.

Ive only added/top loaded fertiliser to these plants once, about 2 days back.

Yes same earth/soil in the big'yin, only difference is a sheet double glazing between it and those outdoors.

My guess is I'm going to have to test the PH of the soil thus establish what i do next?

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Just another hobby gardener chiming in.

For next year.
Can you make the dirt a little deeper, with a couple bags of store bought black dirt or compost? Also, do you know anyone with chickens? If so, you can throw some chicken poop, maybe 1) 5 gal bucket on an area that size, in the fall, so it breaks down over the winter.

That's all I do. Oh, and you can actually put 6-8 plants in those rows. It will be fine.
As far as watering, once it gets knee high, I only water about ever 3 days, a good soaking with a sprinkler.

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Cheers for the advice.

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I grew corn once before when I had my allotment, some were great but others not so.
Didn't really have a clue what I was doing if I'm being honest.
It didn't help that it pissed down all summer that year.

Never tried again, I don't particularly like sweetcorn and my grandson thinks it's the devil's own food.
The wife loves it....so I've told her to grow some for herself!

For the first time ever I've tried growing some flowers, mainly in containers and hanging baskets and also in a border.
Most are coming on great.
Got some potatoes, cabbages, and sprouts growing as well as tomatoes in grow bags.
Also got 10 chilli plants on the go.

Most seem to be going ok but I have to admit, I'm sort of winging it - the story of my life if the truth be told.

I'll try to post some photo's if I remember.

Anyway, good luck with the sweetcorn mate, just wish I could offer some constructive advice.
edit on 23/6/21 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

That's ok mate, my Tomato plants are coming along just fine, so there's that.

Summer has been even worse than normal this year, not terrible but just not on par with the previous 3.

Corn needs it to be on the cobb, with a lot of butter, and some asparagus and I'm a happy bunny rabbit.

Love sprouts and cabbages also.

I built about 10 square feet of decking out the back for some flowers pots and containers, because the garden is nigh on at at 45 degree angle.

Love chilli as well, what kind?

edit on 23-6-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 02:38 PM
link   

We've had a half decent summer so far.

All my lawns were absolutely covered in weeds, dandelions etc and had a right chew on getting rid of them.
Its going to take a few years to get them anywhere near decent.
I've tried several times to sow some grass seeds but the ground is bone dry. I try to water the lawns but it just seems to soak it up and its dry again in minutes.
We need a good downpour.

That's one of the beauty's of container growing, its a lot easier to control watering and feeding etc.

Most of the chilli plants are Prairie Fire but I also have a couple each of Razzamatazz and Habanero.

First time I've tried to grow chillies so I'm not really sure what to expect.
I've grown them all from seed, its probably more rewarding but next year I think I might just get some more established plants from a chilli dealer online.
We'll see.

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I canny do grass myself Freeborn, then again that land has more angles to it than a protractor.

Cant use a lawnmower have to use a strimmer.

With weeds and crab grass all over the place.

Could play golf on the guy next doors lawn as well.

It needs levelled and new turf laid if im honest.
edit on 24-6-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2021 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Looks like your doing a decent job mate.

Levelling that off and re-turfing won't be cheap....unless of course you 'know someone'.

We're just having the first decent rainfall in weeks.
I'll be out with the grass seeds first thing in the morning and then probably spend half the day scaring pigeons, blackbirds and other bloody birds off.

Our lass laughs like # at me and says I only have myself to blame as I feed the birds too well and that's why they are always hanging around our house.

posted on Jul, 20 2021 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Some pics of where my corn is at.

Mixed results again(so far). LoL

edit on 20-7-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join