It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trans woman to compete in Olympic weight lifting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:40 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

A New Zealand weightlifter—who has competed in men’s events in the past-- will become the first transgender competitor to qualify to be on the country’s women’s weightlifting team for Tokyo 2020.

"I am grateful and humbled by the kindness and support that has been given to me by so many New Zealanders," Laurel Hubbard, 43, said in a statement, according to the BBC.

The report pointed out that in 2015, the International Olympic Committee changed its rules to allow transgender athletes to compete as long as their testosterone level is below a certain level and maintained for a year. The determining criteria — a maximum reading of 10 nanomoles per liter of testosterone — is as least five times more than a biological woman.

So this person used to be a dude, used to lift competitively as a dude, then became a woman, and now will be competing against other women at the Olympics. Those are the facts, and they are undisputed.

So we are left with the question of fairness. Do all the female weight lifters who trained all their lives have any right to be angry over this? Does being angry that some will miss the opportunity to realize their dreams make them homophobic, or transphobic, or some horrible social disorder?

Personally, having the system conform to the needs of a tiny subset of the population for the goal of inclusiveness and being truly "woke" seems like a weak move. Standing up for the rights of the majority seem like a stand worth taking.

When this person made the choice to become a woman, (or at least believe he is a woman) is going to have repercussions. One of them should be the inability to compete against women in competitive weight lifting. (IMHO)

+18 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:48 AM
link   
And new Zealand takes the gold in women's weightlifting...

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I still get confused by all this transgender stuff.
first, I was confused when someone referred to a 'transgender woman'. Is this a woman turned into a man? Or a man turned into a woman?
Now, I don't know if a man that turns into a woman has to be fully transitioned to compete in Olympics/NCAA/High School sporting events.... or if just a man saying that he identifies as a woman is good enough to compete as a woman.

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Are things getting silly enough for everyone yet or is it just me?

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Dude wins.

Surprise.

+21 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It's never the other way round with this transgender stuff. I don't see transgender men, that is, women who have changed gender from female to male competing and winning in male sports competitions. I wonder why?

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I didn't think the Olympics messed with any of that snip. Interesting to see how it turns out. Let "him" win then ban "him" for high testosterone levels and take away the medal?

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Seems like they should make new categories: transgender men and transgender women. Let them compete with each other instead of distorting the records of born-female athletes.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I’m guessing New Zealand is trophy hunting. Gold for sure, but how long before other places decide they want to do the same?
I’m guessing in a decade there won’t be any women’s division. It will be men’s division and a tranny division. Sad for all the women wanting to compete. Being oppressed now by the very group that supposedly stands up against misogyny.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Men are so much better than women that men are ever better at being a woman than a woman.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   

2016: Craig Telfer is ranked 200th
2017: Craig Telfer is ranked 390th
2018: Craig Telfer transitions to female'
2019: CeCe Telfer is National Champion

But biological men have no unfair advantage in women's sports, right?

twitter.com...

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I won't ever understand how a man, who was able to live his life as a man with all the natural testosterone, muscle building, bone-strengthening, and endurance training, can ever compete against natural-born women.

It's not right, or fair. I don't care what decisions are made about transgender people. Live your life.
But to think that this is somehow a fair competition is the definition of insanity.

It will be interesting to watch.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I still get confused by all this transgender stuff.
first, I was confused when someone referred to a 'transgender woman'. Is this a woman turned into a man? Or a man turned into a woman?
Now, I don't know if a man that turns into a woman has to be fully transitioned to compete in Olympics/NCAA/High School sporting events.... or if just a man saying that he identifies as a woman is good enough to compete as a woman.

The report pointed out that in 2015, the International Olympic Committee changed its rules to allow transgender athletes to compete as long as their testosterone level is below a certain level and maintained for a year. The determining criteria — a maximum reading of 10 nanomoles per liter of testosterone — is as least five times more than a biological woman.

FWIW

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 09:29 AM
link   
If you wanna be a professional sportsman and cannot beat they guys you will be told the transform into a trans woman.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
www.foxnews.com...

So we are left with the question of fairness. Do all the female weight lifters who trained all their lives have any right to be angry over this? Does being angry that some will miss the opportunity to realize their dreams make them homophobic, or transphobic, or some horrible social disorder?

Any female that doesn't support this...will be called a bigot...or worse, "NOT Woke".

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I fully support trans in their rights to be who and what they want and to have equal rights as a human.

But this is just wrong, it's unfair. I too think there should be separate events.

The article itself states that the men to women trans still have 5 times the normal level of testosterone as a natural woman.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Its just bizarre that the trans lobby demand that (i dont know the right terminology) Ex?Men must be allowed to compete against women in the name of fairness towards trans people..
yet that means that they must be unfair towards the "born" females.

If your demand to be treated fairly infringes upon others being treated fairly,then you just ain't being fair if you see what I mean.

It reminds me of the "tolerant" types who tolerate absolutley everything-as long as its something they agree with.
Otherwise watch out!!

Both are broken methods of thinking which go nowhere and can rarely be fixed once a person is afflicted.
IMO

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Phantom weights don't compete with heavy weights. That's a crime.

They have categories. That's just so sexist.

Let the neo women have their spotlight and let us destroy this racism once and for all !!!11

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Welcome to the Stupid Olympics™ Team New Zealand!

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I'm still waiting for a half decent (top 500-1000) male tennis player to pretend to be a woman and completely smash the shallow women's game. If nothing else it would be hilarious to listen to the commentators skirt around the issue.

There was a 'battle of the sexes' exhibition match in the 70s between a top female player and a top but old male player, and they still had to have several handicap rules it was ridiculous.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join