It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Fossil discovery just revealed the biggest land mammal ever to walk the Earth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 11:01 AM
link   
That must have been some sight! I imagine mating season created land tremors. Gives the saying, "the earth moved", a whole new perspective!

edit on 21-6-2021 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

The rate at which we are finding new species is truly fascinating. It's as if they are just magically appearing in the dirt now. Wonder when we're going to find that frozen egg that sparks the building of Jurassic Park.

Some video:

edit on 21-6-2021 by NightVision because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
Imagine the size of the droppings!

I'd hate to be the caveman who had the job to clean up after that.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: NightVision

This magnificent creature justifies why I like animals more than people. I imagine myself scratching a gentle giant head.

One day, years ago, I small circus visited the town, there was a cage with an elephant and I went there in the night and brought crackers for him.

When he ate all the crackers and I was about to leave he hugged me with his trunk. All I felt was love and made me cry. I still get emotional every time I remember it.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Yes, I agree. The tenderest thing I witnessed with animals happened during a school nature outing.

I managed to get away from the group and found a mare and foal in a nearby field. I'd already had my packed lunch, but still had an apple left.

I gave the apple to the mare who gently divided in two with her teeth, leaving the other half for the foal. Needless to say, I spent the most part of that school trip hanging out with those horses. The teacher knew where I was and just let me be.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 01:40 PM
link   
50,000 pounds and a rhino too...lol

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

As we eradicated the mammoth beasts, we've had to rely on smaller prey. We've gone from barbarian status with bounties taking down giants, to having to think about where our next meal comes from.

In some way's it explains a lot.

Uhhhh...please tell us you don't actually believe that "Man" was responsible for the disappearance of all these prehistoric creatures, do you????? I mean, because, that would be flat-out STOOPID, right? Yeah, didn't think so!

OR...is it that Climate Change has always been a thing, since the dawn of creation, and "Man" has nothing to do with it??

Yeah, that might be the ticket!

edit on 6/21/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
a reply to: NightVision

When he ate all the crackers and I was about to leave he hugged me with his trunk. All I felt was love and made me cry. I still get emotional every time I remember it.

Damn, dude. Now yer making my eyeballs sweat too.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Nah, he just wanted to make sure you didn't have no more crackers on ya'!!

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 11:14 PM
link   
A little more info on the beast. youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

i really gotta question the snippet in your OP... this part

...Its body was 26 feet long, which is about the same size as six elephants.

six elephants ?? all under:: 26-feet -divided by-6 --->> or

6 baby elephants @ 4 feet 4 inches each

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 09:27 AM
link   

This magnificent creature justifies why I like animals more than people. I imagine myself scratching a gentle giant head.

And here's me wondering what it would be like to ride one into battle

...One day, years ago, I small circus visited the town, there was a cage with an elephant and I went there in the night and brought crackers for him. When he ate all the crackers and I was about to leave he hugged me with his trunk. All I felt was love and made me cry.

I had a very similar experience with a mother Orangutang and her young baby.

I used to help out my kids primary school as a parent helper on school trips, one of the places we used to visit was Durrel Zoo (it's actually a conservation centre, they do excellent work).

As I tailed the group of young kids and staff through the orangutang enclosure, I noticed a baby orangutan perched up high, so I stopped and waited for the kids and chaos to pass before squatting down next to the glass to watch it playing.

At this point I noticed an adult orangutang watching me, watching the baby, before it climbed up, picked up the baby, and started towards me.

Now, I've seen Gorillas in the Mist, so I'm somewhat of an expert on primate behaviour (/sarc, for those who might not get it, lol), so as she approached me carrying the baby I just looked down, but at the same time I made a fist and placed it on the glass,

After a moment, I looked up at her and no word of a lie, she was sat right opposite me proudly presenting her baby in one arm and making a fist with the other, which she'd placed on the glass directly opposite mine.

Turns out she didn't really mind a little eye-contact,

I figure that as I was the only adult male in our group, and there were a few adult females and a whole bunch of youngens, she maybe thought that it was my troop and I was their alpha, just a theory on my part.

Part of me thinks it's a terrible shame that the glass was between us, part of me thinks that the glass was the only reason she was comfortable bringing her baby over to me to show off, and another part of me is kind of happy that I still have a face and arms, lol

I too can get quite emotional when I think about that moment, it was small and fleeting in the grand scheme of things, but as much as I've done in life, it's right up there with things I'll never forget, I still often wonder how they're getting on.

(Sorry for thread drift!)

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity
You made me feel that it's ok to talk to animals. They are my people.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:38 PM
link   
New Fossil discovery just revealed the biggest land mammal ever to walk the Earth

With the long neck and lack of horns looks like a relative of the giraffe to me.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

With the long neck and lack of horns looks like a relative of the giraffe to me.

Yep it does not fit the image I had when I first saw the article either. Evidently it is all about the teeth as Rhinos have a particular set of back teeth like no other known animals, therefore, it is supposedly of Rhino linage.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Yeah more oxygen, and probably more carbon dioxide too, to feed all the needed plants for giant rhino food.
edit on 22-6-2021 by Fowlerstoad because: added a couple words

posted on Jun, 25 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   
At least they found a few bones to support their conclusions. I remember taking some Archeology options in university and these people would find a quarter mandible (jaw bone) and half a finger, and based on that alone, fill in the remaining blanks to determine all the characteristics of a "new" species.
edit on 25-6-2021 by jwlaffer because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2021 by jwlaffer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join