It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Fossil discovery just revealed the biggest land mammal ever to walk the Earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 03:25 AM
link   
The title should be "New Fossil discovery just revealed the biggest KNOWN OR FOUND land mammal ever to walk the Earth." No matter this was one big beast ! You have to wonder what else that is currently unknown was walking around during that time period ? If I ever get a time machine armor and weapons might be a good idea although against something this big and if mad at you "Time machine away" has to be the best policy IMO.

The giant rhino would have weighed approximately 24 tons, the scientist said. Its shoulders would have been more than 16 feet off the ground, with the head rising to 23 feet. Its body was 26 feet long, which is about the same size as six elephants. For comparison, adult male giraffes might top 18 feet, with females reaching 14 feet.

bgr.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

That could be related to the biblical Behemoth. Maybe same species.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Feed a Gigantosaurus for a day.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Imagine the food something that size would require to survive?

Thats a load of trees, bushes and leaves for those big lips to pluck.

Must have been a lot more oxygen in out atmosphere back then for that thing to have been such a size.
edit on 21-6-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 05:49 AM
link   
"The biggest land mammal ever to walk the Earth"

They've obviously never visited Walmart.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 06:01 AM
link   

What the eff!!!! How did it even walk around, being so gigantic?! Jeez! Seriously, gravity had to have been less when it lived 😂

I also agree with you wholeheartedly on the title. Scientists are so damn arrogant.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

How fast could that thing have moved, though? Seems like it might have been easy to outrun as long as one didn’t get too close? My brain is having trouble imagining that it could move very fast.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 06:32 AM
link   

That thing was Yuuuge!

I can't imagine being next to one of those things, or even spotting one at a distance, simply mind-blowing

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga

Shame on you .
But it was funny.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

How fast could that thing have moved, though? Seems like it might have been easy to outrun as long as one didn’t get too close? My brain is having trouble imagining that it could move very fast.

At that size , and with the stride it would have , it could cover a lot of ground in no time.
edit on 6/21/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Cool find

Was hoping the article would have an artist's rendition or some scale comparison.

16' at the shoulder, head rising to 23'!

o_O

How about seeing a rhino peeking in your second story window.

Rhinos are not very docile plant eaters either, known for a pretty testy disposition.

ETA

Found artist's rendition
edit on 21-6-2021 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Imagine the size of the droppings!

I'd hate to be the caveman who had the job to clean up after that.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Go back with a time machine, ammo and armor??

*poof* we're all chipmunks eating nuts and liking posts on tweeter. I've seen rick and morty, I know how it goes.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 07:09 AM
link   
A "great siege beast" that Sauron's army used.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Five meters (16 feet ) to shoulders, with the head potentially able to rise up to seven meters ( 23 feet ).

Large indeed.

Source

Also, this makes no sense : "Its body was 26 feet long, which is about the same size as six elephants"

26 feet is around 7.9 meters. That would imply that the six elephants they mention were only about 1.31 meters ( 4.3 feet ) long each. A bit of a squeeze even for elephant calves.
edit on 21-6-2021 by Kreeate because: info added

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

In Jewish Literature Behemoth is described like a cattle/ox giant creature. Job described it like tall as cedar trees and capable to stand, which would make it more impressive.

The cattle/ox characteristics made me think that there were more than one elusive beast. So if people saw it in distant locations could mean there were more than one.

There is also a mention about Behemoth's mighty roar heard on summer season that scared all other animals of earth. A mating call probably.
edit on 21-6-2021 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kreeate
Five meters (16 feet ) to shoulders, with the head potentially able to rise up to seven meters ( 23 feet ).

Large indeed.

Source

Also, this makes no sense : "Its body was 26 feet long, which is about the same size as six elephants"

26 feet is around 7.9 meters. That would imply that the six elephants they mention were only about 1.31 meters ( 4.3 feet ) long each. A bit of a squeeze even for elephant calves.

Imagine it though, primitive man, out hunting, find one of these beasts. The entire clan would be fed and clothed for ages. Makes you wonder why in only recent history we've become so sufficient on insufficient, fleeting things.

As we eradicated the mammoth beasts, we've had to rely on smaller prey. We've gone from barbarian status with bounties taking down giants, to having to think about where our next meal comes from.

In some way's it explains a lot.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Wow ! Just wow!! … sadly, the Chinese probably ate him , and made him into a sweet and sour rhino .

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga

Land whale on a scooter.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I can only imagine the shear size of dumps those beasts must have taken.... hahaha

It reminds me of the seen from Jurassic Park where Jeff Goldblum characters walks up and goes "That is one big pile of sh*t"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join