It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you say God exists?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2021 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

I live on a fixed income. When my Mother's nephew died, she wanted to go to his funeral. She was very fond of him, but I couldn't send her alone. She needs assistance so I had to go with her. Money was tight. I was researching everywhere on the internet, for discount tickets. I tried talking to the airlines. After about four hours of searching all over the internet, I gave up.

I was using my phone calendar. I was tired. I was frustrated. I said, "God, if you want us to go to the funeral, you are going to have to pull off a miracle, fast". I put my phone down on the table. At first, I thought I had been a little heavy handed with it, because it dinged.

I snatched up the phone to make sure I had not broken the screen, and saw a notice that a direct deposit had been made to my bank account. Now that didn't make sense.

I checked the account, and sure enough it said, several thousand dollars had been added to my account. I was highly suspicious. I called the bank to make sure it was real. They said it was. It took me a while to track down where the money had come from. It turned out that it was related to a complaint and request for investigation on a payroll discrepancy, I had filed back in 2013. On investigation they found that they had been shorting me in my pay, and had returned the money.

It showed up, right at that time. At the very second that I had laid down my phone. Of course, there are those that will say it was just a coincidence, and I am sure in their minds they will be right. In my mind, I asked for help and it was given.

That is just how I see it. I am not pushing what I believe on anyone else.

posted on Jun, 19 2021 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: EdisonintheFM

If only he sold as much as the Bible...

I'd be happy to admit that science isn't going to explain everything, and there are holes in the much more technical stuff, but it does provide alot more framework then what religions have attempted to do.

Plus there not much groveling with science.

Ancients priests from older pagan believes might as well be the equivalent to doctors today, an had more political influences then nobles or kings. An ancient Egyptian Cult of Hathor, might had light bulbs an probably worshipped the bulb. Heck, one of the Popes split South America in half to calm a squabble.

Only good thing that came out the N.T bible was getting rid of human an animal blood sacrifices, an they even screwed that one up later.The get out of jail card been over played imo.

edit on 19-6-2021 by Proto88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2021 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=25941765]Proto88[/post

To me all science does is discover how God did this and that.

And sometimes they get that wrong.

What's the new "hypothesis", there might not be any dark matter?

The Bible was written by men so don't believe it's God's words. But believe men in white smocks that get paid via funding and it's ok that they constantly change their minds.

Illogical.

posted on Jun, 19 2021 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

He does give us God winks. But some people can't see the forest for the hate they have in the idea that one day they'll be held accountable for deeds done.

Beautiful picture. I still don't know how to upload pics from my phone. I'll finger it out one day.

posted on Jun, 19 2021 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Hey, I ain't too good with the math ether, but if I wanted to be figurative, I could say that science explain Gods mind better.

The irony isn't lost, I will say that much. Or nothing new under the Sun narrative speaking.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: EdisonintheFM
a reply to: TzarChasm

Satan goes humbly before God and asks for permission to screw with one of God's children.

And God allows it because He has faith in His child.

Faith....is a two way street.

So you interpreted a story about murder, torture and sadism as a spiritually inspiring anecdote that confirms gods love and benevolent leadership? Curious. I don't see it but maybe you left out the part where god is a hero who saved a man's family instead of throwing them under the proverbial bus to win a bet.

Ever thought about a career in politics? You spin well.

The 'to win a bet'-interpretation is quite the spin though, a bit far out there, quite a bit removed from the actual account.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 01:39 PM
link   

God's love is unconditional.

God's love is NOT unconditional. That is a common attitude of the new culture of today and it is wrong.
Why does Jesus preach hell and overcoming evil? If God is all love then He has no hate and if He has no hate then the lake of fire is a sham. Think about what you believe and what you say.

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 01:48 PM
link   

edit on 21-6-2021 by Seede because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Seede

posted on Jun, 21 2021 @ 08:42 PM
link   

We're made in His likeness.

God has the same emotions we have.

You can hate, without sinning.

I hate brussel sprouts. That's no sin.

People don't know God and won't take the time to get to know who He is. Because they don't really understand God and what He's done and doing and why, there's misconceptions.

And Jesus didn't walk around preaching hell. Did He mention it, yes He did. His message was one of love and how to live with common sense.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: EdisonintheFM
People don't know God and won't take the time to get to know who He is. Because they don't really understand God and what He's done and doing and why, there's misconceptions.

Can You Know God by Name?

Being invited to greet and address an important person by name is an honor. Dignitaries are often addressed by titles, such as “Mr. President,” “Your Majesty,” or “Your Honor.” So if someone in high station told you, “Please, just call me by my name,” you would no doubt feel privileged.

THE true God tells us in his written Word, the Bible: “I am Jehovah. That is my name.” (Isaiah 42:8) Although he also has many titles, such as “Creator,” “Almighty,” and “Sovereign Lord,” he has always honored his loyal servants by letting them address him by his personal name.

For example, the prophet Moses once began to implore God by saying: “Excuse me, Jehovah.” (Exodus 4:10) At the dedication of the temple in Jerusalem, King Solomon opened his prayer with the words: “O Jehovah.” (1 Kings 8:22, 23) And when the prophet Isaiah addressed God on behalf of the people of Israel, he said: “You, O Jehovah, are our Father.” (Isaiah 63:16) Clearly, our heavenly Father invites us to address him by name.

While addressing Jehovah by name is important, truly knowing him by name involves more. Regarding an individual who loves him and trusts in him, Jehovah promises: “I shall protect him because he has come to know my name.” (Psalm 91:14) Clearly, knowing God’s name must embrace a wealth of meaning, since it is a key factor in receiving God’s protection. What, then, would be required for you to know Jehovah by name?

What Knowing God’s Name Involves
The Challenge of Knowing God by Name

Coming back to the following you mentioned:

Because they don't really understand God and what He's done and doing and why, there's misconceptions.

How Can You Know God Personally? (Bible Questions Answered)

The Bible’s answer

You can get to know God personally by learning about him and taking steps to please him. God will then “draw close to you.” (James 4:8) The Bible assures us that “he is not far off from each one of us.”—Acts 17:27.

Steps to knowing God

Misconceptions about knowing God

Steps to knowing God

Read the Bible

Observe creation

Use God’s name

What the Bible says: “I will protect him because he knows my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him.”—Psalm 91:14, 15.

Meaning: God, whose name is Jehovah, gives special attention to those who know his name and use it respectfully. * (Psalm 83:18; Malachi 3:16) By telling us his personal name, God has introduced himself to us. “I am Jehovah. That is my name,” he says.—Isaiah 42:8. [*: The name Jehovah is understood by many to mean “He Causes to Become.” By revealing his name to us, God is saying, in effect: ‘I will cause my will and purpose to be realized. I always fulfill my word.’]

What you can do: Use Jehovah’s name when referring to him.

Talk to Jehovah in prayer

Build faith in God

Do what pleases God

Experience God’s care by applying his advice

Misconceptions about knowing God

Misconception: God is too powerful and important to want to be close to us.

Fact: Even though God is the most powerful and important Being in all existence, he invites us to draw close to him. The Bible contains many examples of men and women who became his close friends.—Acts 13:22; James 2:23.

Misconception: We cannot know God because he is a mystery.

Fact: Some things about God are difficult to comprehend, such as his being an invisible Spirit. Still, we can get to know God. In fact, the Bible says that we need to know him in order to gain everlasting life. (John 17:3) In terms we can understand, the Bible tells us about our Creator, revealing his personality, his purpose for mankind and for the earth, and his standards. (Isaiah 45:18, 19; 1 Timothy 2:4) And as mentioned, the Bible also reveals God’s name. (Psalm 83:18) We can thus not only know God but also draw close to him.—James 4:8.

edit on 22-6-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   

The Bible is not just a book of do's and don't's. It's history,

You know this and yet left the one most important reason to
know God exists out? And that the Bible is his living word.

The resurrection of Jesus Christ is by far all you really need.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Insults instead of answers. Typical.

Chaz why do you do this to an obvious novice? Do you find pleasure
in tearing someone down who hasn't yet understood the argument
that blows you out of the water.

I swear I think you sometimes just enjoy being like this.

If so I kind of get that.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 12:48 PM
link   

We're made in His likeness. God has the same emotions we have. You can hate, without sinning. I hate brussel sprouts. That's no sin.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: -------But God did not make anyone else in His image or after His likeness. Your mother and father procreated you with their own passion and desire and you are procreated in their image and likeness. Adam was the only created human to ever have existed before he was cursed with the death sentence. You are not in the likeness of the Father as you are today but in the resurrection you will be as the angels in heaven.

God does not have the same emotions as we have today and never ever had the same emotions as His creation. God's ways are not our ways.

Isaiah_55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

You may dislike brussel sprouts but if you are a Christian you cannot hate what the Lord God has made for you. It seems that the word hate is not clearly defined in most vocabularies. Hate is the opposite of love. God gives judgments to all creatures and if you are in hell then that is not love.

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seede

We're made in His likeness. God has the same emotions we have. You can hate, without sinning. I hate brussel sprouts. That's no sin.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: -------But God did not make anyone else in His image or after His likeness. Your mother and father procreated you with their own passion and desire and you are procreated in their image and likeness. Adam was the only created human to ever have existed before he was cursed with the death sentence. You are not in the likeness of the Father as you are today but in the resurrection you will be as the angels in heaven.

God does not have the same emotions as we have today and never ever had the same emotions as His creation. God's ways are not our ways.

Isaiah_55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

You may dislike brussel sprouts but if you are a Christian you cannot hate what the Lord God has made for you. It seems that the word hate is not clearly defined in most vocabularies. Hate is the opposite of love. God gives judgments to all creatures and if you are in hell then that is not love.

We are made in God's likeness in that we have qualities such as his: the ability to show profound love, to display wisdom, we have an inborn sense of justice. I have never met a single person who does not have this inborn sense of right and wrong. And you will know if a person feels like they have been wronged. There are many other qualities that we have that are in God's image. This separates us from the animals. An animal does not contemplate eternity. Animals do not have qualities such as mercy, kindness, tender affection, love, etc.

We don't think like God because we are humans with basically no life experience. While God is a spirit who has lived eternally. Just because God's thoughts are not our thoughts does not mean we are not made in God's image.

Hate is not necessarily the opposite of love. Hate can just mean to like something less. And there are certainly things that God hates that are abhorrent. For example the Bible says:

"Jehovah examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one;
He hates anyone who loves violence."-Psalm 11:5.

Jehovah God hates, that is he detests, he loathes, violence! And he examines a human's mind and heart, and those humans who love violence Jehovah hates! And we are told to not only love what is good but to hate what is bad:

"O you who love Jehovah, hate what is bad."-Psalm 97:10.

"Abhor what is wicked; cling to what is good."-Romans 12:9.

Jesus both loves righteousness and hates lawlessness that is why he was exulted to God's right hand:

"You loved righteousness, and you hated lawlessness. That is why God, your God, anointed you with the oil of exultation more than your companions.”-Hebrews 1:9.

There is no place for a lover of violence, and a lover of what is wicked and bad in God's presence. They cannot have a relation with God. And they will not be remembered in God's memory, nor will they receive the free gift of everlasting life. Only by turning back from their evil, wicked, and violent ways, by repenting, and turning to do good can they receive God's favor.

edit on 22-6-2021 by MidnightHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 08:00 PM
link   

This is a reply to the OP. Firstly thank you for taking the time for sharing your story and your faith in God. I appreciate it.

Like you I have seen the good hand of God in my life. And I could go into many personal experiences where he has answered personal prayers and given help and relief when they were needed. And I have no doubt he helps others as he does me in these ways. But I think there is something of far more importance. And that is spiritual help and truth he is giving people.

There are many spiritual and religious-minded individuals who are sincere and have a real love of God. Many may not have been told the truth about God or are unsure of who he is but they are sincere. In the Bible there are examples of people who had a love of God, but as it says "not according to accurate knowledge:"

"For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to accurate knowledge."-Romans 10:2.

Now Paul was the one that bore witness about this fact, that those Jews had a zeal for God, but they were nevertheless wrong. Paul knew because he was one of them:

"I am grateful to Christ Jesus our Lord, who imparted power to me, because he considered me faithful by assigning me to a ministry, although formerly I was a blasphemer and a persecutor and an insolent man. Nevertheless, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and with a lack of faith."-1 Timothy 1:12-13.

Notice that Paul recognized that his former course of conduct, although with zeal and in earnest sincerity was wrong. God could read his heart, and although displeased with his conduct saw it came from the right place. That is why he was able to convert Paul to Christianity to direct his misguided zeal to a zeal that was not diminished, but now for what was right and true.

You get my point?

Many so-called Christian religions are not Christian at all. In fact they teach many God-dishonoring doctrines, and condone traditions and conduct that Jehovah detests.

One way in which God proves he is real and loves us, especially those like you and I who have faith in him, is by giving us the truth.

For example false religion teaches there is a Hellfire. But God shows us in the Bible that death is a like a deep sleep. And those resting in it, both good and bad people will soon be resurrected back to life on a restored paradise earth in the new world. See how this Biblical truth undoes much damage that Satan has done by smearing God's good name and impugning bad motives and actions on God that he would never do. Many so-called Christians teach that God is a bad and evil person who causes bad and evil and will burn people for eternity. How disgusting!

This is one example of how God reveals himself to the world. How does he do it? Of course by means of the Bible, but let me share with you a very important prophecy and a challenge!:

“You are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah,
“Yes, my servant whom I have chosen,
So that you may know and have faith in me
And understand that I am the same One.
Before me no God was formed,
And after me there has been none."
-Isaiah 43:10

Jehovah declared that he would raise up for himself witnesses for his name. Not only this but he challenges all other false gods to do the same:

“Produce evidence and tell us the things that will happen.
Do tell us about the former things,
So that we may reflect on them and know their outcome.
Or declare to us the things that are coming.
 Tell us what will happen in the future,
So that we may know that you are gods.
Yes, do something, good or bad,
So that we may be amazed when we see it."
-Isaiah 41:22, 23.

See this challenge? Jehovah challenges all other gods to both raise up witnesses for their names and through them to foretell what is going to happen in the future. But not one god has ever answered the challenge and Jehovah tells us why:

"Look! You are something nonexistent,
And your achievement is nothing.
Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
-Isaiah 41:24.

They do not exist.

Jehovah God on the other hand foretold from long ago that in the last days he would raise up witnesses for his name and that people in all the earth would be witnessed to concerning Jehovah's name and told what he promises for the earth, both for good, righteous people, and bad wicked and evil people. That Jehovah's witnesses exist and are in all the earth doing the very thing the Bible foretells is a very powerful proof of God's godship and his love for humankind. They teach the truth about the Bible and help everyone honest-hearted, whether they do not believe in him, or they do but not according to accurate knowledge the truth:

There are two very important prophecies here in Malachi 3:

vs 16: "At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion, and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening. And a book of remembrance was written before him for those fearing Jehovah and for those meditating on his name."

This tells us that in the last days, our time, Jehovah is paying attention from heaven to those who talk about his name Jehovah and are in fear of his name. He has a book that he is writing their names down in. Yes Jehovah God notices when you mention his name and talk about it to your fellowman.

vs 17 “And they will be mine,” says Jehovah of armies, “in the day when I produce a special property. I will show them compassion, just as a man shows compassion to his son who serves him. 18 And you will again see the distinction between a righteous person and a wicked person, between one serving God and one not serving him.”

Jehovah would make this group of people his own. And everyone would be able to tell between those who are serving Jehovah God as a united people worldwide and those who are false.

That is why this prophecy says concerning God's people:

"So that the men who remain may earnestly seek Jehovah, together with people of all the nations, people who are called by my name, says Jehovah, who is doing these things,  known from of old.’"-Acts 15:17-18.

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MidnightHawk

Thank you for your post!

I do believe God has been misrepresented by those claiming to know him.

And in doing so, people have either turned away from God or chose to stay away.

Word of mouth reviews can sometimes be wrong.
Sometimes you have to investigate to see on your own.

In the case of God, the Bible, and Christianity, there's those trying to bring people to God and those trying to keep people away from God with all the disinformation out there.

The disinfo campaign is nothing new. It started in the Garden of Eden.

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   

So you do not think God hates?

I think He does.

So Adam looked different from his offspring? In what ways? And why doesn't the Bible reference a difference, it states the serpent was cursed to slither on its belly, wouldn't it mention a change in man? It said he'd have to till the ground for food, and birth would hurt, but nothing about the change of Adam or his offspring.

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Randyvine2

I didn't leave it out, I just never said it.

There is only one way into heaven. And that's not good enough for most people.

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MidnightHawk

For example false religion teaches there is a Hellfire. But God shows us in the Bible that death is a like a deep sleep. And those resting in it, both good and bad people will soon be resurrected back to life on a restored paradise earth in the new world. See how this Biblical truth undoes much damage that Satan has done by smearing God's goo

False religion? Sounds exactly what you are trying to sell.
Do not understand your theology or what bible you are using but you need a lot of schooling. Hell is preached by Jesus and was taught to Matthew , Mark, Luke, John, James [the brother of Jesus], and Peter in the King James Bible. Not to say that hundreds of Jesus' disciples were also taught that Hell does c exist. If it were a false religion then the KJ bible is not true and the thousands of Greek MSS are phony.

You have the covenants of Moses and Jesus all mixed up. They are two distinct religions. Judaism and Christianity are not the same. Christians do not die twice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join