It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone here turned a chest freezer into a garage fridge?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Ah, I misunderstood. Why not just buy an upright fridge that lacks a freezer? Uprights are better for space anyway, especially if you're not using it as a freezer.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

Ah, I misunderstood. Why not just buy an upright fridge that lacks a freezer? Uprights are better for space anyway, especially if you're not using it as a freezer.

Read the damn thread mate!

He has already covered that!

Why does life have to be so difficult.

P

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

Cost.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 09:29 PM
link   
"but for some weird reason chest fridges don't seem to exist. "

You sure about that part...because they are available from Wallmart to even the small electro hardwarestore in the #hole under the rock I live under.
I bet you can buy a new chest freezer in a day or two delivered at your doorstep.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daalder
"but for some weird reason chest fridges don't seem to exist. "

You sure about that part...because they are available from Wallmart to even the small electro hardwarestore in the #hole under the rock I live under.
I bet you can buy a new chest freezer in a day or two delivered at your doorstep.

I say chest fridges don't exist and you tell me Walmart has chest freezers.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: rickymouse

You can change the internal thermostat, or you can use a plug like the one I linked which has it's own thermostat and overrides the stock one.

Problem with the standing fridges (other than higher power requirements) is they cost about 3-4x as much. I can get a garage ready 7cuft chest freezer and conversion thermostat for $300. A garage ready fridge is going to be bigger and cost $900+.

I had an old fifties refrigerator in a warehouse I used to own. I gave the garage back to my stepfather after owning it for five years and making the bank payments and paying the taxes for all that time because he bought the house next door to it and moved there. I had the fridge on and he never unplugged it for seven years, thinking it was off. When he unplugged it the electric bill went down a buck....the fridge had frosted to almost all frost during that time. Those old fridges didn't take much juice at all, but you had to defrost them on a regular basis. New fridges are constantly defrosting which requires a heating element for the defrost cycle, the cost of the electricity for the defrost mode is subtracted from the efficiency of the unit on most freezers, so the cost is much higher than what they are quoting.

Most of the chest freezers do not have a defrost cycle so they are much cheaper to run. I buy the freezers that need to be defrosted, so there is no defrost energy used. They used to be cheaper but now they are considered premium freezers because stuff lasts longer in them without getting freezer burn.

What are you going to keep in that fridge in the garage? Beer and soda?

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Chestfridges ...like Brass monkey makes?
Or maybe if you change the word chest into counter...and look for a counterfridge.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Regular fridge stuff, eggs, leftovers, milk.

posted on Jun, 17 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Regular fridge stuff, eggs, leftovers, milk.

Could use one for the eggs, we get ten dozen every two week from some people we know, the eggs are great. I divide them up for the two daughters and their families, one granddaughter and her family, and my brother and his wife who some times gives a dozen to his son and his girlfriend. The chickens are well taken care of, lots of time outside eating everything out there. one of the chickens is over seven years old and still laying an egg a day, the chickens get a pension after they are done laying, they feed them and take care of them till they die of old age or a fox or other animal gets them. There is a gun by the door, one in the garage, another is in their pole building.....they get birds that scoop them up once in a while too

With the all refrigerator we have lots of space in our fridge, we keep the backup soft drinks in the basement and I bring them up for the wife when she asks, we rotate the stock of sodas too.

<< 1   >>

join