It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fruit Juice Jello, anyone???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I was thinking of making some jello with unflavored gelatin and fruit juice instead of using Jell-O. I guess it's fairly common. I've never tried it though. Is it any good?

Anyone else do this? Got any good recipe ideas?

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   
No clue, although we have used fruit juice along with regular jello. I often add the knox geletin to the jello to taper down the sweetness of the product.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 01:22 PM
link   
My mother used to put canned pears in lime jello. It wasn't a bad combination.
I never made jello with fruit juice.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I dont have much of a sweet tooth, but the other family members do. An aunt used to make this panna cotta and people loved it. It's pretty easy. She sometimes used real vanilla beans, which were fantastic. I was intrigued by the "black glitter".
I remember one batch that had an awesome vanilla flavor, and the topping was freshly picked blackberries and raspberries. Yum!

Here's a couple recipes that I think are quite close to hers.

Recipe
Recipe 2

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

jello with unflavored gelatin and fruit juice

You're missing one very essential ingredient.
edit on 15-6-2021 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I've never made it, but I've eaten it made that way before. Wasn't too bad

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I assume you're referring to some kind of hard liquor so as to make Jello-shots, right?

I could do that I suppose, but first I just want to try some regular fruit jello.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   

It's all about the ratio of sugar to gelatin. More gelatin, less sugar will give you gummies, less gelatin more sugar will give you Jello. Look up the ratio of sugar to gelatin in Jello packages, it makes a good starting point. As far as flavours go, you can use anything you want. You can buy flavour oils to go with the fruit juice to enhance the flavours. You can usually find them in the baking section. Don't use pineapple juice, it won't set properly. Pineapples have an enzyme that stops gelatin setting.

Mix your gelatin and sugar together and add water to bloom the gelatin. Then cook it, i like to skim any of the nasty foam # that rises as far as i know, it's impurities in the gelatin and smells like dead pig skin. Then pour it and let it set.
edit on 15/6/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Pineapple and Lemon juice added to anything makes it better.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Made it with Sprite once, I remember it tasting like Jello

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I was thinking of making some jello with unflavored gelatin and fruit juice instead of using Jell-O. I guess it's fairly common. I've never tried it though. Is it any good?

Anyone else do this? Got any good recipe ideas?

I'm glad I could be around when the mystical cowboy of legend finally came out of the closet.

Just kidding.

Try guava. Guava anything is pretty amazing.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Is it any good?

Yeah, it's not bad but the real stuff is much better to wrestle in.

If you're interested get your mankini and I'll suplex you into a kiddy pool of the stuff.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: NightVision

From what I understand, you can't use pineapple juice, the gelatin won't set if you do. I don't know about lemon. Has to do with the acid.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 03:14 PM
link   

You can use a small amount of acid. I put pure citric acid in, a very small amount, it still sets. Jello itself has ascorbic acid in it. I've spent way too much time researching gelatin in my efforts to make the perfect gummy candy.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

You can use a small amount of acid. I put pure citric acid in, a very small amount, it still sets. Jello itself has ascorbic acid in it. I've spent way too much time researching gelatin in my efforts to make the perfect gummy candy.

Yes, pectin is acidic, and it is typically used as the setting agent for fruit based jellies. Sure Jell is the most popular brand for making jelly at home.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Pectin will give you a chewier texture. The latest stuff that seems to be popular in the gummy world from various patents i've been looking at seems to be adding modified cornstarch to either pectin or gelatin based gummies. Those real fruit gummies, each colour package seems to contain different amounts of gelatin, pectin and/or modified cornstarch. Those starburst gummies, the soft chewy ones also seem to use modified cornstarch to alter the texture. The ratio of gelatin to sugar I used always seemed to get good results though. Not quite the texture of Huer gummies, but pretty close.
edit on 15/6/2021 by dug88 because: Reasons...

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Got it. Thanks! I figured I was probably getting part of that wrong.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Great info!

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 04:22 PM
link   

No problem. Honestly, I'm happy to babble about this. Also, i made a mistake. It's adipic acid, not ascorbic acid in Jello.

Also. A box of Jello is 85g the amount of sugar is around 71 grams i believe the gelatin content is around 7-8 grams from when i figured this out before.

Something like 75g of sugar and 10g of gelatin should work decently.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 05:41 PM
link   

a reply to: NightVision

From what I understand, you can't use pineapple juice, the gelatin won't set if you do. I don't know about lemon. Has to do with the acid.

You know what you're 100% right now that I think about it. There's an enzyme in pineapple that breaks down protein structures.

No pineapple, folks!!

Sorry

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join