It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US assessing reported leak at Chinese nuclear power facility

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Waiting for tonights news on NHK. If they are soft on reporting this, then its bad news for the Sea of Japan fishing industry.
Wrong sea, and you guys ain't one to talk about water-based nuke pollution. I'm starting to think it's an Asian pride mentality thing overall.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: 19Bones79
If you detonated a huge bomb underwater next to those countries if their waters had radioactive contamination, would that bring about a radioactive tsunami like with those fancy torpedoes Russia has but in an Asian-redneck kind of execution style?

No. It doesn't displace enough water to cause a tsunami.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: 19Bones79
If you detonated a huge bomb underwater next to those countries if their waters had radioactive contamination, would that bring about a radioactive tsunami like with those fancy torpedoes Russia has but in an Asian-redneck kind of execution style?

No. It doesn't displace enough water to cause a tsunami.

It could tip over Guam, though.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

So could DB standing on the edge of Guam.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 08:54 AM
link   

So could DB standing on the edge of Guam.

Guam gonna have to take your word on that.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Let's just meet at the Midway point and say it's possible.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Let's just meet at the Midway point and say it's possible.

Maybe...I'll need to think Samoa about this.
edit on 14-6-2021 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: EnhancedInterrogator

I just watched a video about this particular type of reactor setup last night as I was going to sleep. The video was about Finland's newest plant and how it was supposed to be the most advanced one in the world and in the video they actually mention the zone in Tiashan and that China had beat Finland in build the first one in the world. Wonder if they rushed construction so they could say they were first.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
If we have learned anything recently it's that the US government trusts the Chinese and that they would never be anything but straightforward with the rest of the world.

What could possibly go wrong?

At least we know someday that HBO will now get to do a second season of Chernobyl!

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Good to know.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Its racist to say they have a leak, everything is fine!

Go to ChinaTown's Nuclear festival

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Wow another radiation disaster, you know what China is going to say about this, "nothing is happening and is just US making stories"

I guess all the money they are getting is going to feed their bioweapons lab.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

But we should be more like China!

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

One thing that stuck in my mind from a conversation I had with my brother-in-law (who lives in the US now), we were talking about a concrete wall going up around part of one if his neighbors property (in the US).

He noted how the project was done slowly and carefully in stages. First they excavated to make room for the footings, then they made the form for the footings with the forcing bar embedded, then poured the concrete, then the left it for a long time (like a week or something) before they came back and started putting in the concrete blocks with rebar extended up from the footings in the spaces inside the blocks as they each course with concrete, etc.

The whole process took several weeks to get it done right.

His comment was, that in China even if they used the same materials in the same overall construction, the whole thing would have been done in TWO DAYS, and would look as nice, but would not last very long because it was rushed - presumably, due to not allowing concrete enough time to harden probably.

When the government in China wants to get something built, they do it quickly, but not necessarily to last. They are only interested in immediate results not longevity.

When I was in China before, and I noticed all these nuclear plants being built, I thought back to his observation, and immediately thought that these are going to be a problem down the road.

So, even if the French reactor design is "perfect" the whole thing could be an accident waiting to happen - and could be repeated many times over at all these plants in China.

edit on 2021-6-14 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Doing this on a phone

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
At least we know someday that HBO will now get to do a second season of Chernobyl!

I am still waiting for something detailed like that to be made about Fukushima. I guess we have to wait a couple of decades more still.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Randyvine2

Doesn't a fault in the containment structure suggest some kind
of an event? IDK Seams like a reasonable question.

Well, "something" is going on if the French contractor felt it was somehow necessary to reach out to the US for assistance. No idea what "assistance" the US could provide regarding a reactor in China though?

Maybe to get somebody to make a diplomatic call to ask the Chinese government at a higher level to wake up and take whatever the issue is more seriously than the low-level bureaucrats had up to that point?

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Or maybe leak detection via satellites?

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 12:54 PM
link   

No one will want to lose face. So if any link in the chain says it is handled, it's good, even if it's not.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nunyabizisit
Or maybe leak detection via satellites?

Based on the initial reporting, seems like someone at one of the French companies making a direct allegation (presumably, based on direct knowledge) not based some outside monitoring (satellite, etc.)

"after a French company that part owns and helps operate it warned of an 'imminent radiological threat'"

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Another post ...

China nuclear plant ‘leak’: US investigates report of ‘imminent radiological threat’ at Taishan facility

A few things of note:
* China denies anything abnormal (big surprise)
* China allegedly redefining how much radiation leakage into the environment is allowed/not-dangerous (just like we saw with Tepco at Fukushima?)
* Something about a build-up of "inert gas".

So, what is causing this "intert gas" to either be generated abnormally, or if it's normal to be generated, what is causing it to build-up abnormally?

Would like to hear from some that works in this industry, like we did during the events at Fukushima.

Maybe @TheRedneck will chime-in?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join