It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to have an original thought?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 02:47 AM
link   
If all we experience is the NOW that is being filled with memories that are conditioned by more complex conditioning, that are conditioned by more complex conditioning, etc.... Are any of our actions and/or thoughts original? My answer is is yes. If even if the above were true, every single individual thing is unique, all the time. Nothing has the exact same conditioning. No two snowflakes are alike.

This song got me on this track of my conditioning. Ha!

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 03:41 AM
link   
An original or a thought of what beams into our mind as a progress of doubt is activated by a mature mind. That is is all you may need about this thread.

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: BorisBadInOff

Probably not, but it's still certainly possible to have an original angle.

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 05:26 AM
link   

No, it isn't in some way it's always building on top of someone else's thought.

If you'd grow up isolated, never see, hear, read of others, you'd still be building on your genetic memory.

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 07:21 AM
link   

You think that. Then you read into crazy people's philosophies like Hegal and then start to question yourself...

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Wouldn't that be dependent on an individual basis of sorts, due to it being defined in a chain of events of sort? Like a chair, the idea or form of it hasn't changed completely, even though it been altered through the years.

Like a rock, to stool, to a chair, then it becomes a symbol of authority when it gets arms, then plumbing came an just put a hole in it, then it reclines, with massage features an a cup holder. All the too commanding giant dreadnought with a thought.youtu.be...

If this about copyrights, you would have to take it up with God, an I heard Satan a good lawyer. Nikola Tesla said he didn't care that they stole his idea, he just care that whomever didn't have any of there own.

Reparations an Law suits everywhere...
edit on 13-6-2021 by Proto88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I suppose it's possible that your question might only be answered by an original thought. That leads me to wonder, how would I even know if I had an original thought in the first place. Only by recognizing an original thought were it to occur. I can assure you that I have little to no recognition of such an event in my own mind.

In looking elsewhere for an original thought I find that landscape almost as void of original thought as my own.

What ever that answer might be it's also possible that we first must answer the question of free will. Do we or don't we have free will and if we do, just how much. I think should we find any example of either of those in our own lives, they should be cherished.

I developed a new swimming stroke. One I had never seen or even heard of. One day in the pool I had finished my laps and was resting in the water for a moment. I drifted away from the wall with my feet toward the wall. I got about five feet from the wall and for some reason the notion came to me that I did not want to turn around and swim or paddle back to the wall. So I wondered if I might use my legs in such a motion as I would my arms in a breast stroke fashion. I made that attempt.

It was strange. My legs had never been used in that pattern before, but it worked. Then I wondered if I could sustain that stroke the length of the pool so I pushed off from the wall moving through the water feet first using my legs like arms in a breast stroke. By the time I had reached the other end of the pool, my quads were screaming from the burn. I tried it again the next day and the day after that.

By two weeks of working on this I had it down. A new swimming stroke. One I had never seen, one I had never heard. A child of my own devising.

I have wondered about this on a philosophical way. Was the thought to swim backwards original? Even as others, here or there, now or then, had this notion to swim backwards at least that notion had not arrived in my own head from out of the environment. Well, maybe. Maybe from watching crawdads in the river, scoot away in what appears to be a backward direction. Maybe from those videos of octopuses or squid swimming. Maybe maybe not. Any of those may have been the seed of thought that turned into my wondering if I could swim backwards.

But maybe not. Maybe it was just me, grasping onto an unfamiliar notion and putting it into action. Your guess is as good or bad as my own.

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BorisBadInOff Bob Ross would say it's OK for this little tree to live on that mountain peak in his artwork.

Likewise, the invention of the wheel resulted from someone trying to move a heavy object into a new place?

Flat Earthers?

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 12:14 PM
link   
We're all individuals in the sense that no two of us will have the same DNA, will have undergone the same experiences growing up, will have had the same environmental influences shaping us, etc., all of that will necessarily shape how we think and interact with the world around us. It will shape our thoughts and thought processes because it shapes how we think and react to everything.

Internally, it will be quite different, but the outward expression of that internal process may not be as original or unique and could be quite predictable because the range of ways we have to express are far more limited than all the internal shadings we might be feelings that could be nudging us toward on outcome or another.

Let's look at election day decisions. Realistically, there are usually only two candidates with a meaningful chance of winning. Choice A or Choice B ... All of our unique processes will become boiled down to pulling the lever for one or the other, and no matter who unique my thought process or yours might be ... in the end, it's A or B or C - not at all. You can lump a lot of uniqueness into a good deal of predictions there.
edit on 13-6-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It seems the things that interest us and we study/research/practice does bring about new discoveries. I am 100% excited about that being true. These new insights change the way we think. They might somehow be monitored by new brain wave tech and show pathways that are connected to our memories, but the experience is new and fresh. So I don't care what anyone calls it, and I am very inclined to new discoveries.

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 10:29 PM
link   

"There is nothing new under the sun"

top topics

join