It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gobekli Tepe, the disputed, complex ancient site.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Gobekli Tepe is reported to be nearly less than 10% excavated and continues to cause a stir across the archaeology world. Dozens of hypothesis and theories as to the sites origins, uses, and final days in actual use; or whether it was used for ritual or settlement. The mystery keeps getting bigger and bigger.

One of my favorites websites and publications for anything Archaeological news is (appropriately named) Archeaology.org, and they have published a well written article on the subject of Gobekli Tepe which drew my attention in because of the vast disparities in different opinions and theories that were displayed. It seems Gobekli Tepe truly is, a mystery.

There's some facts we do know about GT (Gobekli Tepe) that we do know for sure. For one, it was some sort of settlement for ritual of gathering. Two, it was buried almost completely, we just don't know why or how long it took to bury. And three, it's not the only structure in the area with 'T' shaped standing or erected stones. Three, well, there really isn't another point, just that everything else is still up in the air!

For a little background info on the works done at the site. The site was originally "discovered" around 1994, and a team of Archaeologists lead by Klaus Schmidt made a somewhat conclusion that the site was pre - agriculture, and had no signs of settlement, that it was a pure ritual site.
Of course, as time has gone by more and more is discovered.

Some points from the article that I found interesting:

Archaeologists have uncovered evidence that the site was a settlement after all, and that many of its large ritual structures were used contemporaneously, not built one after another over the course of centuries. At the same time, a growing group of scholars, including the DAI’s Lee Clare, who took over excavations at the site after Schmidt’s death in 2014, argue that Göbekli Tepe’s towering anthropomorphic pillars and powerful animal carvings do not mark the beginning of the Neolithic period. Instead, they contend, the entire site represents a last-ditch attempt to hold onto a vanishing way of life. The people of Göbekli Tepe weren’t driving the Neolithic Revolution forward—they were shoving back against it as hard as they could.

Having dug down until they reached bedrock, Kinzel and Clare noticed that several of the largest buildings had been repaired or rebuilt multiple times. Furthermore, many of the central T-pillars leaned in the same direction, as though knocked off balance by the same event. Kinzel and Clare now think that instead of having been filled intentionally, the circular buildings were instead rocked by earthquakes or buried by landslides over the centuries, and then renovated or reerected over and over again. “Suddenly, we realized that maybe the monumental buildings had a much longer use life than we had thought,” Kinzel says.

Göbekli Tepe was constructed in a region and at a time when people were gradually adopting an entirely new way of life. The dates of the larger circular enclosures at Göbekli Tepe coincide with these first stirrings of change. By the time the site was abandoned for good in 8200 B.C., the Neolithic period was in full swing. But the new evidence suggests the site didn’t play the crucial role in the Neolithic Revolution that scholars once thought. “I don’t agree with the idea of Göbekli Tepe as the smoking gun of the Neolithic,” Clare says. Rather than representing the inspiration for agriculture and settlement in this region, he claims, Göbekli Tepe’s communal structures were built as the last stand of the region’s hunter-gatherers. Instead of embracing the changing lifestyles they witnessed in the flatlands to the south, east, and west, Göbekli Tepe’s builders pushed back.

The site continues to be full of surprises. But, what I found most interesting was they seem to be finding more and more sites 'linked' with GT finding large 'T' shaped structures throughout the area (See: Karahan Tepe) , suggesting that who ever settled GT were part of a much larger network of settlements, and perhaps a very large and unknown pre - agricultural civilization and society, a last stand to the hunter gatherer way of life, which inevitably gave way to the much easier and home comfort of the south way of living down between the two rivers towards Ur and it's healthy delta.

Clare, Kinzel, and other members of the team think that Göbekli Tepe was probably a village with large circular buildings in a natural dip at the base of the hillside. Smaller, rectangular houses climbed the slope all around them. “I see this not as a site for cults and death but as a full settlement,” Kinzel says. “There’s a relationship between the special enclosures and daily life. It really tells a much richer story than before.”

www.abovetopsecret.com...

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

The archeogist that spent much of his life time dedicated to this site was convinced it had alingment to Sirius. After his death this theory was largely smeared by legacy archaeology in an attempt to keep our ancestory hidden from us.

It is of note this site was deliberately buried. It looks like in order to preserve it.
edit on 11-6-2021 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 06:18 PM
link   

8200BC? What's the margin for error? Within a thousand years of the "great flood" of Hancock and others, and also the "great flood" in the middle east 7000 years ago.

www.smithsonianmag.com...

Maybe they didn't bury it. Maybe the water did.
edit on 11-6-2021 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Lee Clare, who took over excavations at the site after Schmidt’s death in 2014, argue that Göbekli Tepe’s towering anthropomorphic pillars and powerful animal carvings do not mark the beginning of the Neolithic period. Instead, they contend, the entire site represents a last-ditch attempt to hold onto a vanishing way of life. The people of Göbekli Tepe weren’t driving the Neolithic Revolution forward—they were shoving back against it as hard as they could.

Mainstream archaeologists keep saying this, but it seems like nobody listens.

Agri was NOT an improvement over the ice age lifestyle.

But the megafauna had died out, and agri was the only stable food source. Plus, the larger family size it brought with it gave agri cultures military dominance by weight of sheer numbers. (And desperation made the soldiers more determined.)

Leaders of the (then) new world order didn't want people to think there was any hope in a non-agri lifestyle, because then the massively abusive and overbearing measures they were using to keep the peasantry in line "for their own good" would be seen as unnecessary.

There is much to learn from taking this lesson seriously.

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

I doubt it was a worship temple.

I would bet those T-shape pillars were simply used to hold a wooden roof. The animal bones found at Gobekli Tepe shows they had dinner there. That would also mean they had water nearby or had a simple way of transporting water.

The art could be a form of writing or documenting what they ate... stone age kitchen art lol.

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rounda

This is a possibility, in the article I posted there is actual evidence of natural disasters causing the site to become buried, as all the taller 'T' shaped pillars seem to be all damaged in the same direction.

The flood mythology may have something to do with the final mass thawing of the last ice age which would have surely sent a massive amount of mountain water down into the Tigris and Euphrates, and into the delta down below, which would indicate a mineral rich soil to cultivate crops.

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Are you referring to Klaus Schmidt?

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 08:58 PM
link   
“Semyaza!?!”
“Azazell!?!” “Hellooo? You down there”

Wouldn’t that be something. To find some giant skeletons under the site, all bound up. Book of Enoch was written at the time of the flood. It is in the general area and nobody truly knows what it is.

Looking at pictures of the excavation, are the stones stacked in there or just mixed in with dirt? To me they look stacked.

posted on Jun, 12 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The claim is made that Lee Clare has determined the site was a permanent settlement.

I'd like to see that paper. I don't believe that's exactly the case with Dr. Clare, or any of the other researchers on the site.

Harte

posted on Jun, 12 2021 @ 02:22 PM
link   

This is a possibility, in the article I posted there is actual evidence of natural disasters causing the site to become buried, as all the taller 'T' shaped pillars seem to be all damaged in the same direction. The flood mythology may have something to do with the final ma

After the fall of the Golden age. 24k year cycle. Marking the fall and rise of man again. Sirius being pivotal in the definition of this season was carefully monitored. Just like it was in all ancient culture and is to this day without our knowing.

posted on Jun, 12 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

The claim is made that Lee Clare has determined the site was a permanent settlement. I'd like to see that paper. I don't believe that's exactly the case with Dr. Clare, or any of the other researchers on the site.

It wasnt long ago that legacly historians said this stuff didn't exist.. Now it does your an expert on it. Trot on..

posted on Jun, 12 2021 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

The art could be a form of writing or documenting what they ate... stone age kitchen art lol.

Simlairties have been noted between this and stufff on easter Island. Also the engravings look like they may have vedic heritage too.

posted on Jun, 12 2021 @ 02:57 PM
link   
from the inserted Map, i see the location is generally Turk-Syrian border zone...

what about someone overlaying a pathway the later developing Trade Route known as the Silk Road became more traveled & developed with Caravans passing by each other in opposite directions ?

the evolved Silk Road Trade Route likely ignored the GT ruins or perhaps GT was a forbidden place--- and became buried intentionally ?

posted on Jun, 12 2021 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Maybe the keepers of the site saw they were losing their wars against the agriculturalists, and soon they would have to move further North.

So they buried it to keep it from falling into their enemies' hands?

posted on Jun, 12 2021 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Thanks for this.

I can't explain why but I find the archaelogy of early civilisations and before mesmerising.

This is also a great read (and has a section on Gobekli Tepe)

posted on Jun, 12 2021 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

The claim is made that Lee Clare has determined the site was a permanent settlement. I'd like to see that paper. I don't believe that's exactly the case with Dr. Clare, or any of the other researchers on the site.

It wasnt long ago that legacly historians said this stuff didn't exist.. Now it does your an expert on it. Trot on..

You trot on.
I keep up with this site. I read their blog. Some of which features Clare.
I know evidence has been found that could be construed as indicating habitation, but as far as I know that was thousands of years after the original site was constructed. And not conclusive.
I very much doubt Clare has come out and stated definite habitation - the article just tosses it off in that sentence, no reference, no footnote. That's why I asked for it. I think Clare might more likely call it a "possibility."
So far, there's been no announcement on the blog, and the blog is written by the team at the site - including Clare.

Harte

posted on Jun, 12 2021 @ 11:31 PM
link   
there was a place in sumerian clay tablest, where the dna of alien,
was mixed with apes, YOU CAN SEE some similarities in todays humans,
they used gorrillas, chimpanzies, and others, mixed within the races.
this building housed them, like a zoo, ADAM and EVE.....created.
I BELIEVE GOBEKLI-TEPE IS THIS PLACE
buried somewhere in one of these videos..
if its made up story, its a very good one, EXPLAINING OUR ORIGINS
A VERY LONG READ.....here you go :
truthisscary.com...

edit on 12-6-2021 by cappie because: forgot a sentence

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

Wouldn’t that be something. To find some giant skeletons under the site, all bound up. Book of Enoch was written at the time of the flood. It is in the general area and nobody truly knows what it is.

While Enoch did exist I don't believe the book of Enoch is
scripture. It's concepts don't fit in with the canon at all.
It's heresy more than anything else and shouldn't5 be trusted.

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Honestly, the reality is more interesting and rewarding.

Aliens only makes it a puzzle impossible to really understand. That is incredibly unsatisfying as a result if all that work.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join