It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm in a fight!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Calm down everyone, it the usual fight. Within my own head. Go with Liquid cooled again or stay with a CPU heatsink.

BRANDS BRANDS BRANDS.....

I've done both, left right and center over these past few decades, too many to mention to most and it probably bore you youngins *under 40 to death.
Now pay attention!

On Deck

4000D Airflow *also able to get the cooler looking solid cover ( For SH!|S and giggles)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 CORE
NVIDIA RTX 3080 10G
32G BALISTIX 3200 Mhz DDR4 DRAM 16x2
1000W Gold PSU
2 x WD_BLACK SN750 1 TB NVMe SSD
1 X WD_BLACK 3.5" PHDU HDD 2 TB ( Forgive an Old Man ) *

2 X CORSAIR 120 MM
3 X KazeFlex 120 MM

Now the dilemma....

B550 vs X570

AND Cooling

Should I once again go with liquid 240 mm ( Its a Black case I think white would look stunning ) or air cooled Heatsinks? Any suggestions on brands vs price? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated so much so that the next time I sacrifice a virgin yak with a knife made from the thigh bone of an ugly sheep while facing south * during a lightning and hail storm, while on one foot I'll mention you to Oden.

Fair enough?

edit on 8-6-2021 by SLAYER69 because: Spelling * My worst subject back in the day....

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Well , as I don't know much about these compooter thingys

First and foremost : Lose the SSDs . They are 2nd Gen
Get 4x4 NVME m.2s

1) Liquid cool everything (but be careful) (you will find that the new 5000 series get hot. they are supposed to)
2) X570
3) X570
4) X570

I use the Asrock Phantom Gaming 4
Cheap , and a helluva lot of goodies.

First , update UEFI as the new Agesa version is 1.2.0.2
Join the Windows 10 Insider Preview if you want (DX12.2 and WDDM 3.0)
See if your 3080 has a firmware that will enable REBAR support

Enjoy.

edit on 6/8/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I liked everything until you mention " Asrock Phantom Gaming 4
Cheap , and a helluva lot of goodies"

I appreciate the feed back. VRM issues I hear

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Why wd sn750 instead of samsung 970 evo plus? They are practically same price for 1tb drives and substantially faster in every operation that matters, and they are rock solid drives.
edit on 8-6-2021 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

ATM it was what was available at a fair price

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

Why wd sn750 instead of samsung 970 evo plus?

I had a dead honest, cheap ass price

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 11:42 PM
link   
X570 is preferable if you plan on using a lot of PCIE lanes ( Multiple gen4 SSDs and a GPU ). With the 8 core / 16 thread CPU a good B550 is enough in regard to power management but err on the side of caution in that regard. The cheapest of the cheap boards tend to run hot and can throttle your CPU.

As far as air vs liquid - honestly a decent air cooler and a 240 mm radiator are about neck and neck in terms of cooling potential in regular use ( in heavy loads the air cooler is, IMO, preferable as once a 240 rad hits full saturation things can get out of hand ). It all really depends upon aesthetics and price in the end. Amazon has some really good air coolers in the $20 to $30 dollar price range ( Ventroo and Aresgame are two names that come to mind ). The Ventroo V5 made the tech YouTube channel rounds a couple of months back for it's performance and value ( $30 ).

edit on 6/8/21 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I wouldnt run with a b550 over an x570 under any circumstance except my budget, where lets say you are running ssd with pci 3 interface, then there is no point in spending more money for a chipset supporting pci 4 interface as it adds no value. I think the answer is obvious though, x570 is the better of the chipsets. I recently had a liquid cooler fail so I may have a bias on that question, but lets face it, its an unecessary mechanical component that will eventually fail but an old fashioned heat sink is not subject to failure. Unless you are serious about overclocking then is only for show.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I bought a two hundred fifty dollar Dell from office max seven years ago and it is still working fine. I had to blow out the fan a few times with the air compressor, but when I do have to replace the unit, I don't want to pay more than three fifty next time if possible.

I wonder why people pay so much for computers, I had to order a belt for my nineteen sixty seven gambles rotortiller today and it was sixteen bucks...highway robbery...damn hard to find belts cost so much. I probably will not get sixteen bucks worth of veggies out of the garden this year.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
a reply to: Gothmog

I liked everything until you mention " Asrock Phantom Gaming 4
Cheap , and a helluva lot of goodies"

I appreciate the feed back. VRM issues I hear

Nope
That was the previous version .
This is the revision of the 550 (?)

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 02:12 AM
link   

I can agree to this on the water vs air cooler. I opted for water in my last build. My i9900k still gets hot, and I've seen similar temps with air. The difference for me is noise. This thing just goes shhhh and doesn't say a thing.

I really don't think there is a great difference, unless you're cooking dinner in your case working it like a beast. My quest 2 gets hotter than my gaming rig, and that's just a glorified mobile phone.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I bought a two hundred fifty dollar Dell from office max seven years ago and it is still working fine. I had to blow out the fan a few times with the air compressor, but when I do have to replace the unit, I don't want to pay more than three fifty next time if possible.

I wonder why people pay so much for computers, I had to order a belt for my nineteen sixty seven gambles rotortiller today and it was sixteen bucks...highway robbery...damn hard to find belts cost so much. I probably will not get sixteen bucks worth of veggies out of the garden this year.

It's not the cost of your rig, it's how you use it !!

I do a lot of rendering and like to have the grunt to do it within reason. And talk about things like deepfakes (I know, a fetish of mine) you need a hefty GPU. They all add up.

So on the one hand, buy a cheap decent PC and use it till it's wheels fall off if all you do is web, email, youtube, etc.. Or have to fork out a bit more for a machine that hopefully can handle what you throw at it.

My old volkswagon won't win any formula 1 races, but it will still get me to the shops and back.

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 06:00 AM
link   

I went there, Looks GREAT Bro.... One last piece

edit on 23-6-2021 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Changed my mind after reading more posts here.
edit on 23-6-2021 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2021 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Overall, I really only recommend water cooling with specific applications (like overclocking).

Particularly in the last few years, air coolers have gotten exceptionally effective even when running a system "hot."

To really get the most benefit from a watercooling system, its generally considered best practice to build an actual loop instead of an AIO (all-in-one). They can be very effective, but it does increase cost and maintainence is a VERY serious consideration.

Do note that there are also kits available from companies like ekwb that are pretty nice.

Also note that you should look into whether or not your GPU has easily purchased water blocks from whatever water cooling stuff you are looking at. At least, if you are planning to go with GPU cooling.

For my rig, I ended up getting an alphacool DIY kit (that doesnt seem to be available any more) and upgraded some stuff on it, like the waterblock (went with a Heatkiller IV). Im only cooling the CPU, with a 240mmx30mm rad w/ 4 fans.

When I recently purchased my 11600k, I just bought a cheapo air cooler so I could take my time doing some maintenance on the loop alongside some upgrades. Im happy enough with the performance, even without overclocking, that Im not particularly motivated to OC unless I get bored. Which I will, but thats alright. I thought about just getting an air cooler and going back to that, but the PC being on water has a "cool" factor imo

If you are looking to benchmark though, water cooling (at least) is assumed.
edit on 23-6-2021 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2021 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Situation update, I B Gaming Yo

top topics

join