It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Donates Dead Mother's Body For Research Finds Out Later It Was Blown Up

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

There's a great comedy/farce novel by Tom Sharpe called The Throwback.
In it, a grumpy old man sets a series of seemingly impossible conditions in order for the novels protagonist to secure his inheritance (our hero has "questionable" heritage). They live in a crumbly old castle of a house with only the visiting doctor and his solicitor as friends.

As the old man approaches death he rambles and rants deliriously in his room alone and won't allow visitors.
Our hero, in order to buy time to fulfil his obligations, secretly records hours of the rambling and when the old man dies he continues to play the tapes to fool the Dr and solicitor that he's still alive.
He then gets a taxidermist drunk and, at gunpoint, forces him to preserve the corpse and includes mechanical parts so the old man can sit in a wheelchair gesticulating gruesomely and apparently still ranting, to all intents and purpose he can give the illusion of life while the young man satisfies the demands of the will and inherits the lot.

There's a lot more to the rest of the story so I haven't spoiled it too much but it's comedy genius and a fantastic read.
I think you would enjoy it and Tom Sharpe wrote a lot of similarly absurd comedies.

(My god! I may have just uncovered a certain presidents secret!).

edit on 962021 by Tulpa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

You would enjoy 'The world according to Garp' if you haven't done so already.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 10:01 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Actually? By the time they dump your body in the ocean to be eaten by some shark you will be so cold and dead. That even sharks wont bother with you. Chances are you just float in the ocean for a few weeks till you get so bloated and salty, that you may as well be jerky.

And then? You are likely to be slowly eaten by algae as you slowly begin to sink deeper and deeper as the flesh just falls off.

So ya? Between that or being blown up? Which would you choose?

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Ever seen a whale corpse being scavenged on?
In the right place at the right time with enough of the right species, a corpse wouldn't last long.
Tiger and Bull sharks will scavenge dead meat and Greenland sharks are particularly fond of old and even rotten meat.
In a feeding frenzy when schools of shark have a nice big meal to go at, the surrounding area will have many other types of sealife waiting their turn to pick off smaller snacks in the water. Remora fish even attach themselves to sharks to feed off parasites and the odd floating morsel.
Anything that hits the bottom would be crab food or smaller fish and other crustaceans.
Not much would be wasted.

Besides, I already said I'm not too bothered if it's worms that recycle my leftover bits or sharks.

Would I be blown up?
Once I'm dead it really won't matter...so why not?

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I don't know why, but I just LOL'd at this

cooler filled with male genitalia

Damn JAG, folks disappoint -- two days, four pages, and nobody commented that apparently one is NOT to eat a bag of dicks, but evidently a Coleman stuffed with them XD

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

It was very tempting but I thought I was pushing my luck with "best movie ever!".

I guess it's a question of taste.

Or the absence of.

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Well ya. Whales and fish are delicious. A corpse that has subsisted on processed foods for so long? Not much interest I would gather from the local sea life.

I mean? There is only one way to solve this. Somebody must donate there body, to this this very issue here. Research. How much evidence do you have that a human corpse would be eaten right away? And how long is right away? 5 minutes? Or 5 days? Or 5 months?

How much gas do you think it would take a regular motor speedboat to get out to maybe 100 miles at sea? Whoever is dying for this research better have deep pockets to fund it.

And this is why research is a very broad term. But it is the only way to find out if a body either floats and bloats for along while on Sea, or sinks right away? Wait a minute? We will have to do a sink test, so a few will have to have iron weights on them, and cameras and sensors attached to see how long they sink and what happens, could be days could be weeks. No doubt you will lose signal and visual before anything else, could be just a frozen corpse once it hits deep deep waters.

But. This is like the blowup somebody mom corpse they donated to science. To find out and see what happens to a corpse if its blown up.

And that is why. Research is kind of a broad term.

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Sounds like a funny story. But? Wouldn't the smell of the decomposing body give away the who sthick? I mean if the guy in the story is doing all that. Whats that movie weekend at bernies plot. Pretty sure that after a week? Everybody would be smelling it.

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird

Sounds like a funny story. But? Wouldn't the smell of the decomposing body give away the who sthick? I mean if the guy in the story is doing all that. Whats that movie weekend at bernies plot. Pretty sure that after a week? Everybody would be smelling it.

I'm pretty sure that you're just being argumentative now but I'll entertain one final post.
Are you aware of what taxidermy is? Stuffed animals in museums don't generally smell of rotten, decomposing flesh because they are treated before being stuffed.
Some people even have their pets done so they can keep them around after they've died, without stinking the house up.

Depending on the species, sharks may be surface feeders or bottom feeders. All kinds of weird things have been found in the stomachs of sharks caught by sport fishermen, suggesting that they are really not fussy eaters at all.
You are correct that more research into sharks habits needs to be done and it is.

Most of what's known about attacks or bites on humans comes from humans who survived because they were near the shore and could get out of the water either alone or with the help of companions /bystanders etc.
The ones who get consumed completely out in the open sea are, unfortunately, not available to comment.

Edit. If you do have an interest in sharks, I would suggest a book by Henry David Baldridge called Shark Attack.
It's a little old by now but it's a worthwhile read and dispels some of the more sensational myths about sharks but also includes some very interesting facts about their lifestyles.
edit on 1162021 by Tulpa because: Book

edit on 1162021 by Tulpa because: Spilling

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Apparently the movie Poltergeist used real corpses during the swimming pool scene.
One doccie said they came from India.
Maybe they fished them out of the Ganges?
I mean I'd hope not, but all things considered who can be sure?

This sequence is one of the most unsettling in the film, and it turns out that, unbeknownst to Williams, the skeletons used were taken from actual human beings. According to crew members, Poltergeist purchased these skeletons from a medical supply company, as doing so apparently cost much less than creating fake skeletons or purchasing pre-made skeleton replicas. This is the kind of thing that Hollywood used to sometimes do that would never fly today, as one can only imagine the online hysteria if a current movie was found to be using real human corpses to spice up their horror film. Interestingly, the use of real skeletons is often cited by proponents of the so-called "Poltergeist curse," which alleges that those involved with the franchise ended up marked by dark forces.

screenrant.com...

Is it possible to donate one's remains to Hollywood?
I think I passed my sell-by date to make it as a tinsel-town star (and I'm in the wrong country) in my lifetime, so I wouldn't mind making the credits of a blockbuster as a corpse.

Incidentally, they were collecting funds for rescue lions saved from canned hunting, which made me question the students accosting shoppers for funds.
My question to them was that since these are predators, they will have to kill another animal to feed the lions, and personally I'd rather save a cow.
Alternatively, I suggested to them that instead of money, potential supporters could instead donate their bodies after death to feed the lions.

Here goes the little funeral truck with the corpse into the lion sanctuary whilst Amazing Grace is played ...
Well, it's the circle of life.
edit on 11-6-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

They were skeletons, not corpses.

Theres no way they could do that with real corpses even if they wanted to.

Skeletons are not corpses, a corpse is a dead body

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 11:55 PM
link   

You saying he gutted and stuffed the rich old guy plot or whatever.

I mean? Its a story. In james bond movies bond takes 12 hour plane ride in a 2 hour movie mostly about stuff blowing up.

And sharks? Arent going anywhere. I mean nature has deemed there form and function so effective that they have not changed in over 100 million years. And in another million years? We may not be around. But as long as there are oceans on this planet. They will.

Sharks are probably one of the most efficient and effective species this planet has ever seen. I mean not even the giant meteor falling killing the dinos changing the worlds entire ecosystem and weather to even changing the chemical composition of the worlds oceans has not killed them off.

So. Ya! Sharks. What does that say that its more likely that in a million years from now, a creature that does only two things, eat and move. Will likely outlast creatures a million times more complicated?

I dont read much books now a days. But maybe I will check out that shark attack book.

posted on Jun, 12 2021 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Re: "skeletons" vs. "corpses" in Poltergeist.
Well decide for yourselves, it varies, but this one could still go to the hair-stylist.

(PS. A very impressive set of teeth, I'd like to know what toothpaste that was.)

Although it's a bit mute, because most sites agree, nothing like that would happen in movies today.
We'll take their word for it, I guess.
edit on 12-6-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2021 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

The skeletons were real, they then made them up to look like corpses.

It dont matter anyhow it was a great movie

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join