It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make your own dentures.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2021 @ 08:34 PM
link   
If your a prepper at some stage you will have teeth problems, a full set of dentures can cost thousands of dollars, and there is a high probability that they won't fit that well and might even look a bit funny. A few years back I hit the internet and bought all the relevant bits to make a set of uppers.I used a two pot mix of the stuff used to repair existing dentures, It was a fun project as I decided to try making them with a much-lessened pallet so it didn't feel like I had a mouth full of plastic. One set had no pallet, and they didn't feel like I was actually wearing any, The reasoning was the bottom set has no pallet so why should the top set, In the end I ended up with a small pallet just behind where the front teeth are, simply because the pallet less set required fixer and the slight pallet was ok without. At that time doing it yourself made the top sets cost at about three dollars in raw material.That was about six or seven years back. Today I was cruising the internet and came across a kit with a how to do it vid on Youtube.
I only needed a couple of teeth on the bottom set, and after a few tries I made an insert that fitted and worked well that filled in a gappy smile, I didn't make them to perfect , but slightly asymetrical as a real mouth full of teeth would look.If anyone has the time and inclination its a lot easier than you would think. The joy about this method is that you have plenty of time, the two pot mix I used went off in about a minute so you had to be organised and work fast.

posted on Jun, 7 2021 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I'd rather find a painless way of pulling teeth rather than pay a dentist $400 per tooth.
edit on 7-6-2021 by eManym because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2021 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2021 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I had good teeth but when taking the epilepsy drugs many years ago, my teeth started to push up and would break when I ate. I guess when you are poisoned, the body tries to stop you from eating bad foods and pushes your teeth out. Well, the car insurance paid to pull them and for dentures, it was a direct result of the meds used to treat the epilepsy. It was approved at thirteen grand just to fix seven teeth but I saved them money by having them all pulled since the dentist and doctors said it will continue....but I quit the meds a year later.

Meanwhile, the teeth fit like crap, I could not even eat a sandwich...bad dentist doing the dental fitting...they were about three eights of an inch thick. I could not even open my mouth without them falling out. So no teeth...guess what, we have knives and forks and enzymes that disolved food in our mouths....I never knew that till I found we really do not need teeth these days.

I can eat a steak faster than the wife who has all her teeth. We have been led to believe that we need teeth to survive...brainwashing at it's finest.

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Brush your teeth, the again some people have bad teeth genetics which I understand. Also, use non flouridated version if possible as such chemically-laden paste is trash.

Interesting video though, akin to the how-its-made
videoes.

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

And once again the Europeans are laughing their heads off.

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
I'd rather find a painless way of pulling teeth rather than pay a dentist $400 per tooth.

You could just find a cheaper dentist. 400 is extortion.

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 03:03 AM
link   
A lot of dental problems can be avoided with adequate oral hygiene.

A major cause of tooth loss as one ages is gum disease. If you start to lose teeth, that's gum disease. The gums recede and can't support the teeth, which explains why the teeth lost are often healthy ones.

Brush at least once a day. 2 stage process.

Stage 1. Put toothpaste on brush. Brush teeth and gums for about 2 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.

Stage 2. Put toothpaste on brush again. Brush teeth and gums for a few seconds. Spit out DON'T RINSE.

People make the mistake of leaving out Stage 2. How else are you going to get the benefit of the fluoride?

Happy oral health!

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I had picture perfect teeth up till 2 years ago. I don’t know what’s going on with my body.
I eat healthy (90% of the time)
Brush 3 times a day. Floss. Limit sugars.
And for some reason every 6 months I go to the dentist and told I’m getting a new cavity.
It’s really frustrating.

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Extraction extortion, I had a couple pulled a while back and it was 150

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
I had picture perfect teeth up till 2 years ago. I don’t know what’s going on with my body.
I eat healthy (90% of the time)
Brush 3 times a day. Floss. Limit sugars.
And for some reason every 6 months I go to the dentist and told I’m getting a new cavity.
It’s really frustrating.

I read somewhere a while back that upwards of 70% of all dental work is unnecessary.

Think about it. They jamb a sharp stainless steel pick into your tooth and then twist it back and forth. "Looks like you have another cavity right here". Of course I do, you just made one for me!!

Want proof? Ever notice how the intensity of the exam slacks way off after they find, erm, make 1-2 cavities? They could fill every tooth in your mouth, every time...need to save a few teeth for next time!!
edit on 6/8/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity
i can not wear dentures , i have a high roof and food gets stuck there , and as for the bottom set i have a front tongue tie that dentures rip into , so until a better way of making my dentures fit i have to go without . i am a 72 year old man in the uk and whilst our nhs is great our dentists are not .

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Totally agree. I'm not a fan of dentists or dentistry. The auto mechanics of the medical world.

It's in their interests to find problems.

I question the wisdom of fillings. Temporary solution that needs to be refilled every so often till you end up with a tooth in a much worse condition than it was to begin with.

It would be better for the client to receive advice on avoiding sugary foods, improving oral hygiene and so on.

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I heard recently that toothache was once believed to be caused by "teeth worms" (possibly a mis-identification of nerve endings).

Apparently it once wasn't uncommon to include animal and human teeth in dentures (including those of fallen soldiers).
So before the next conscription comes, I'm having them all pulled.
Ha, ha, so next time "Generals gather in their masses just like witches at black masses" (apologies to Black Sabbath), they can turn my body into fertilizer, but they ain't getting the teeth man!

I found this quite fascinating concerning George Washington and his false teeth, made from both human and ivory sources.
www.mountvernon.org...

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I did a valve grind with toothpaste it might be very abrasive.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I read somewhere a while back that upwards of 70% of all dental work is unnecessary.

I believe that. Very interesting how profit motivates in dentistry.

In the US Air Force I loved the dentists. They had years of x-rays. I'd catch some "watches" now and again. "Something going on here. No pain. Not deep. I'll mark it a watch." Next year, prong and pick. Pick'd stick a bit. No pain. Not deep. Oh this was here last year. Not worsening. Keep an eye out." Now and again, a filling would be suggested if there were concern further development could lead to pain or potential for more extensive rehab if left be. There was no profit driver. If anything, the drive was to undertreat, save time, see more patients.

First exam on the outside post retirement. JFC, I had a veritable yuck mouth! Tooth damage from bruxing in my sleep. Three crowns needed due to extensive filling of some teeth. "We can take care of this for about $3K out of pocket AFTER insurance."

I brought my last panos from before retiring, let's take a look. I'm just a caveman and all, your world frightens me (bonus points if ya know the reference), but I'm not seeing much difference here from my last set of images. "Well you can't really tell from the X-rays." Then WTF do you take so frickin' many??? I was so PO'd and disheartened. I knew exactly what was going on. Had them give me a disc or my images and never went back.

Still having friends in low places, had a military dentist I know and trusted take a look. For sure, a doc that had zero skin in the game either way, said he'd watch 2 teeth and the striations in my teeth from bruxing were pretty much normal age related changes.

Extremely disappointing. An "n" of 1 doesn't prove anything, but doesn't make me doubt FCD's 70% #.

edit on 9-6-2021 by davegazi2 because: Still struggling with proper syntaxing in quoting previous poster.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym

I know a guy who will get you higher than the moon. Won't feel a thing. Dirt cheap too.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If your dentist is recommending unnecessary dental work you should probably find a new dentist. The one I go to is really good. She does everything she can to not drill a tooth. She'll show me the x-rays and go over them. When I first went to visit her office she showed me the xrays, showed me pictures, and said you have x amount of cavities, and you should get a root canal done on one tooth. Got them all done. Got that done, got em crowned, and bam done. Haven't had an issue since. No "new" cavities. Just a cleaning and exam every few months.

I brush my teeth one or two times a day, floss, use a water pik, and then mouth wash.

If you don't take care of your teeth and gums and only go to the dentist once a decade don't be surprised when your # is all #ed up

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Genetics are huge when considering teeth. Interestingly, early humans never had a problem with malocclusion. It was only after millennia of inbreeding that our archforms have shrunk to the point where many people need bicuspid extractions to achieve class I occlusion. Same reason pugs have such messed up faces. Around 75,000 years ago a big volcano exploded and reduced the human population by 90% (the Toba catastrophe). That's why little Billy needs braces.

Anyway - brush your teeth, floss, and don't rinse, eat or drink for 30 minutes after brushing with fluoride and you'll improve your odds of dying with a full set of teeth.

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
If your dentist is recommending unnecessary dental work you should probably find a new dentist. The one I go to is really good. She does everything she can to not drill a tooth. She'll show me the x-rays and go over them. When I first went to visit her office she showed me the xrays, showed me pictures, and said you have x amount of cavities, and you should get a root canal done on one tooth. Got them all done. Got that done, got em crowned, and bam done. Haven't had an issue since. No "new" cavities. Just a cleaning and exam every few months.

I brush my teeth one or two times a day, floss, use a water pik, and then mouth wash.

If you don't take care of your teeth and gums and only go to the dentist once a decade don't be surprised when your # is all #ed up

I think that this just means that it's cosmetic. Like whitening or braces for small problems. Not that dentists are drilling teeth that don't need drilling.

For one thing, cosmetic dentistry probably makes them more money for less effort.

posted on Jun, 11 2021 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Extraction extortion, I had a couple pulled a while back and it was 150

And 300 million Europeans fall of their chairs laughing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join