It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My old non smart tv in the bedroom broke. Looking for input on smart tv in the bedroom apps

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: Gothmog

I've had 1 which started having connection issues and picture problems after 2 years. Its been similar for anyone I know whos had one and if you poke about looking at reviews for them it seems a common trend. There are a lot better manufacturers and firestick/roku/tons of other streaming devices are pretty cheap these days anyway...why chance it.

Exactly, I have had Roku and Fire devices but this one was money well spent.

www.amazon.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: paytaplay
For the all-in-one solution, get an AndroidTV. Largest selection of TV apps through the Play Store, plus you can install third party apps not found in the Play Store.

Your next best bet is a Firestick 4k. Same as above, you can sideload apps, Kodi in particular.

Both have a Live TV feature which pulls live channels from compatible apps and puts it into a cable TV experience with an EPG.

Currently, I'm using a Firestick 4k, tweaked with all the services turned off, and the launcher set to Kodi by default. Mostly because LibreElec is in a weird beta phase with the release of the newest version of Kodi. The Firestick's performance is good enough to handle Kodi, but a Raspberry Pi 4 is more powerful.

But my favorite option is as follows. It requires some work, but it's the cheapest option, and you're not giving Google your data just for using their device.

A raspberry pi 4 costs $35.

Install LibreElec. libreelec.tv...

Kodi addons -

Pluto.TV, with Simple PVR and IPTV Manager. Gives you your standard cable TV experience with an EPG. Plus On-Demand movies (which are pretty good). Oh, and the On Demand stuff is commercial free.

Locast. This is a service that provides live, over-the-air network television. It's regional, though, so some regions aren't setup yet. Major cities in the US, are available, though. $5/month donation. Ties into the IPTV setup like Pluto.TV.

Crackle. Sony's streaming service. Ad-free.

Pluto, Crackle, some other addons are ad-free because of the way Kodi scrapes the video links. If you use the Android apps, they have commercials.

There's Netflix, Prime Instant Video, and Disney+.

You can add one of the developer's beta repo and get Ad-free TubiTV.

Or, if you're awesome, pick one of the recommended addons on the addons4kodi subreddit, and get a debrid provider at a fraction of the cost of Netflix.
edit on 8-6-2021 by rounda because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-6-2021 by rounda because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join