It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thank you Greatest Generation

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: M5xaz

They first lived through the Great Depression
Then, they fought the Japanese empire AND the Nazis, at the same time, and won.

So they fought on 2 fronts at the same time - gee must have done a lot of time/looping/jumping. You're starting to sound silly

That generation sure did.
Much better than today's airhead "snowflake" generation

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: joejack1949

Millenials are born between 1981 and 1994. Gen X are born between 1965 and 1980. The oldest Gen Xers might have raised the youngest group of millenials, but most of my peers have boomer parents.

Funny how the keep upping the end date for Boomers, I was born in 1960 and in the past I was the end, now its 65. Still a number if people have kids between 20 and 30 mostly.

I work with many people in the manufacturing industry born before 1965 who have never made more than 50k/year, never had a household income above 100K, and they all own homes worth more than 800K, they will all retire comfortably and wealthy with houses, cottages, pensions - basically the middle class dream.

I know a couple at my job, both in good roles, household income around 100K, the are both 40 (so technically gen Xers). They don't earn enough for a mortgage in my area. They're waiting for their kids to finish high school so they can add to the household income so they can hopefully own a home.

Or move.... What are you going to do with a 800k house but live there... Maybe their kids will sell it. I plan on moving from the NW back to Texas when I retire so I can live in a house with no mortgage.

Personally - I'm lucky. I got a good education and work experience. I'm part of the upper management and make a good income - I'll most likely retire in my 50's. However, I'll never own a home in my area, and I wouldn't be able to afford to raise kids. I'm 35 btw. Just got my first car a few years ago because I wanted to pay off my loans first. I still rent the same apartment I had as a student. It would take about 12 more years for me to save a large enough downpayment for a cheap home in my area.

I bought my first house in 2003 at the age of 43. Rates are low so maybe look at buying now. My house I bought in San Antonio in 2003 was 168k, about a 2000 sq ft new 3 bedroom. I sold it in 2008 for 185k and looking on Zillow it has a value of 230k now. Most people have made their equity only since 2012 after the housing crash, so maybe you should had gotten in back then.

The lifestyle you consider commonplace is completely unattainable for people growing up now. It might not seem luxurious to you, but it's unfathomable to me.

Also, unless you make big bucks it is hard to go single on a house. Remember back in the 50s 60s houses were kind of cheap and also like 1300 sq ft with not much of anything inside, not even AC. electricity, water and sewage...That's about it. Where do you live BTW

Maybe wait for another housing bubble to burst.. I'm hoping to sell my house I bought in 2010 in a few years
and then rent until another burst..

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The internet and the media raised millennials, that's probably why we're all so crazy. Ideas like equity and social justice seem like common sense. We're all dependent on the government like a bunch of idiots, even the hard working.

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Or move.... What are you going to do with a 800k house but live there... Maybe their kids will sell it. I plan on moving from the NW back to Texas when I retire so I can live in a house with no mortgage.

This is a good point. I'm from one of those rapidly growing cities in southern ontario. There's been a huge influx of money from the GTA and all of a sudden the cost of housing has gone through the roof. Moving would be nice - everyone has a reason to stay though. Family, friends, work.

Maybe wait for another housing bubble to burst.. I'm hoping to sell my house I bought in 2010 in a few years
and then rent until another burst..

Canada's housing prices are heavily propped up by the government and the big banks. Everyone benefits from the bubble, and the government will do anything to keep it going. It's good for some home owners, but we're getting to a point where locals are getting screwed. Kids stay at home after college for many years. I know a few households where boomer parents live with their kids and grandkids.

I'm happy renting though. I can invest all of my money and build an escape fund. Buy a cabin up north and spend my winters down in your lovely country.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: shooterbrody

Like I said those links confirm a true history of what Germany was facing with reparations. Your choice to remain ignorant. Judging by your actions I'd say you're the one who's lost their bananas

Lol
So the Germans had no choice but holocaust?
Lolol
You are ridiculous!!!
Just own it.
Evil bastards.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied
a reply to: shooterbrody

Russia saved the world from Germany, everyone else was the supporting cast.

The greatest generation russians.......right?

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: joejack1949
The internet and the media raised millennials, that's probably why we're all so crazy. Ideas like equity and social justice seem like common sense. We're all dependent on the government like a bunch of idiots, even the hard working.

Social media drives everything these days, is really what moves people from moderate view point.

This is a good point. I'm from one of those rapidly growing cities in southern ontario. There's been a huge influx of money from the GTA and all of a sudden the cost of housing has gone through the roof. Moving would be nice - everyone has a reason to stay though. Family, friends, work.

Tougher when we are talking Canada. America has a much larger pool of choices to pick from. I really think you are kind of screwed in Canada, like many other countries, unless the house is willed to you, you can not buy. Japan as like a 100 year loan.

I'm happy renting though. I can invest all of my money and build an escape fund. Buy a cabin up north and spend my winters down in your lovely country.

To be honest, I'm not buying is the right thing any more. You can move around easier and bubbles don't really effect you.

edit on 10-6-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 05:07 PM
link   
They were magnificent

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH SOME OF YOU??

My uncle's stormed Sword beach in Normandy and fought their way all the way to Berlin and after the war my uncle Sammy stayed on and fought at the Battle of Imjin River in Korea.

They inspired me to serve and I fought in the 1st Gulf war, Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Iraq.

I take great offence that this is even a debate!!

Thank you magnificent generation. Your sacrifices are not forgotten by right minded people xxxx

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join