It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interview from 1958 with Arthur C Clark on UFO's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Very interesting interview from the past of what Arthur C thought about UFO's . The fact that he suggested quite a few things from way back that have come true, this might have some merit, especially where he suggests we already might already have been visited millennia
ago.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

You didn't mention that there was also a Major A-Hole joining in on the conversation.

I'm trying to listen, but I keep getting distracted every time he says that, so I had to look it up to see what his exact name is. It is actually 'Major Wayne Sulo Aho'

But I do hope he stops calling him Major A-Hole

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I was reading Arthur C Clark quotes. All brilliant thoughts, one in particular:

"CNN is one of the participants in the war. I have a fantasy where Ted Turner is elected president but refuses because he doesn't want to give up power."

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Arthur C. Clarke also commented on UFOs in the 1980s saying.

...“Nowadays, anyone who considers that alien supercivilisations may exist has to contend not with skepticism but with something much worse – credulity. Although the subject now affects me with uncontrollable fits of yawning, I would be failing in my duty if I did not say something on UFOs.

So here, as briefly as possible, are the conclusions I’ve come to after more than fifty years of study:

1. There may be strange and surprising meteorological, electrical, or astronomical phenomena still unknown to science, which may account for the very few UFOs that are both genuine and unexplained.

2. There is no hard evidence that Earth has ever been visited from space.

3. If that does happen, there are at least three independent global radar networks that will know within a matter of minutes. And in the unlikely event that the US, [Russian] and Chinese authorities instantly cooperate to suppress the news, they’ll succeed for a maximum of forty-eight hours. How long do you imagine such a secret could be kept? Remember how quickly Watergate unravelled.

“Having written thousands of words on the subject (and read millions) I refuse to go into further details. If anyone wants to argue, I’ll merely quote one of my favourite book titles: ‘Shut up, he explained.'”

Source

I don't think he ever ruled out that we might have been visited in pre-history. But there is no hard evidence. Something he also pointed out.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
Arthur C. Clarke also commented on UFOs in the 1980s saying.

...“Nowadays, anyone who considers that alien supercivilisations may exist has to contend not with skepticism but with something much worse – credulity. Although the subject now affects me with uncontrollable fits of yawning, I would be failing in my duty if I did not say something on UFOs.

So here, as briefly as possible, are the conclusions I’ve come to after more than fifty years of study:

1. There may be strange and surprising meteorological, electrical, or astronomical phenomena still unknown to science, which may account for the very few UFOs that are both genuine and unexplained.

2. There is no hard evidence that Earth has ever been visited from space.

3. If that does happen, there are at least three independent global radar networks that will know within a matter of minutes. And in the unlikely event that the US, [Russian] and Chinese authorities instantly cooperate to suppress the news, they’ll succeed for a maximum of forty-eight hours. How long do you imagine such a secret could be kept? Remember how quickly Watergate unravelled.

“Having written thousands of words on the subject (and read millions) I refuse to go into further details. If anyone wants to argue, I’ll merely quote one of my favourite book titles: ‘Shut up, he explained.'”

Source

I don't think he ever ruled out that we might have been visited in pre-history. But there is no hard evidence. Something he also pointed out.

Was Mr. Clarke aware of the existence of stealth technology and the development of the F-117 bomber? I'm inclined to say no if the interview took place in the 1980s.
edit on 6-6-2021 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2021 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
Very interesting interview from the past of what Arthur C thought about UFO's . The fact that he suggested quite a few things from way back that have come true, this might have some merit, especially where he suggests we already might already have been visited millennia
ago.
What is the time index where he says "we already might already have been visited millennia ago?" I already watched the entire video, though maybe I zoned out when he said that or something, so I'd like to go back and re-play the part where he said that. Too bad it cuts off in the middle of a sentence, I would have listened to the rest of it, but apparently it's only the first 46:51 of a longer interview.

He did a UFO episode on a show called Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World which aired 4 November 1980, where he showed an example of a UFO video. Then he shows how the video was analyzed using a technique called "frame stacking" which is pretty standard in modern astronomy software but it was rather primitive back then since the computers were rather primitive. It's interesting to watch just to see how far computers have come, if nothing else. Anyway, he was able to ID the UFO using that analysis and cited that as an example of why he didn't find the topic that interesting.

In the 1958 interview in the OP, he doesn't rule out the ET hypothesis for UFOs, but this may sum up his attitude:

Time index 34:20, paraphrased question, not exact quote: Q: "Isn't it possible that some UFOs could be extraterrestrial?"

Time index 34:50, answer, quoted as well as I could make it out: A: "Of course it's perfectly possible. When there are so many hundreds of explanations of strange things, why on Earth bring in an unearthly explanation until exhausting all the terrestrial ones?"

I thought the UFOs he saw personally, but was able to identify with some investigation, were interesting stories.

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

You didn't mention that there was also a Major A-Hole joining in on the conversation.
That's what it sounded like to me too, LOL. The audio quality was not the greatest, but I could make out most of what was said.

I had to look it up to see what his exact name is. It is actually 'Major Wayne Sulo Aho'
Thanks for posting that, I figured it wasn't really Major A-hole. I used to work with a man named Mr Snoddy but introducing him always sounded like "Mr Snotty", and I always wondered if I would change my name instead of being introduced that way. Maybe so.

edit on 202166 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

What is the time index where he says "we already might already have been visited millennia ago?"

I don't think he said that exactly, but around "12:10" he says that if you're surveying other planetary systems, "You could probably only survey any one system every few thousand or few million years."

"10:30" would probably be a good place to start though.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 07:04 PM
link   
All due respect to Clarke, but, even in 1980, he could not have known the extent to which computer technology, and yes, even AI, would have actually evolved just 40 years later; he might have guessed, hence the capabilities bestowed on his characterization of HAL in "2001", but not known how far we have truly come.

I note this reality for the following reason, and it is something few on these boards have considered;

What we have seen, and continue, apparently, to see in our skies, may not be actually vehicles carrying ET to our little Rock in space, but may very well be their automated emissaries.

Just as our telescopes have, relatively recently begun to scan the universe for signs of life, other civilizations might have begun such searches eons ago, and, over their history, developed techniques and technologies far in advance of our own to assist them.

And, just as our deep space probes, while far too limited to support a human, (or any other complex lifeform), are able to travel the void at speeds far in excess of anything capable of manned craft, so too might the interstellar emissaries of an advanced non-terrestrial civilization.

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 07:15 PM
link   

That man get's far too much credit BUT he was a close friend of Prince Charles just as Jimmy Saville was and that level of the contacts may have allowed him to know things he otherwise did not.

At one time he was a very enjoyable TV presenter with a show called Mysterious World and his credentials as a designer of the one of the first telecommunications satellites was always being brandished as if it automatically made him an expert in every other field.

Truth is he was a person that liked his privacy and despite claims he was not there are many claims that he was a Paedophile, when we found this out most people stopped reading his book's, stopped watching his shows and wish we had never heard of the man.

groups.google.com...
www.exfamily.org...
String's were probably pulled to get him cleared of the allegations since he was after all a close friend of Prince Charles so a cover up ensued just as it had for many years with Jimmy Saville.
www.abc.net.au...

But the fact is people have there own minds and given that it was most likely that the story was true, well, I would like to say it was not true because until I heard this I thought that Song's of Distant Earth was one of the best science fiction novels I had ever read up to that point (So did Mike Oldfield who made an Album based on his interpretation of the story - also called Song's of Distant Earth).
www.newser.com...

That said despite this his view on UFO's may have had some validity and given his contacts and history in the early space telecommunications revolution he may have known or even been briefed on the matter by sources on the inside so to speak.

So it is possible that did he Know something we don't, He did seem to be a man whose mind was open to the many possibility's including the idea that there may have been past advanced civilization, distant alien contact in the far past and even that Psychic phenomena may have been real but he was sceptical on that, I once upon a time liked the guy until I heard that about him though and thought it best to bring it up in case you have never heard the allegation.

edit on 6-6-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

In his defense, the allegations were thoroughly investigated by the Sri Lankan police and were found to be baseless, although he was probably Gay, but when asked outright he said "No just very cheerful" He is buried with his boyfriend. According to his brother, his diary will be published thirty years after his death which might be interesting. He could obviously put two and two together and being an insider would have had more information than the common man to do the act. So the question to ask would be why and who were the accusations made by, who would believe the word of a Pedo, just in case as an insider he blurted something out from the likes of Von Braun, etc. Since it's a touchy subject the Knighthood was delayed for two years until they were satisfied he was innocent. He was not a stupid man anything to do with the accusations would in all eventuality come out at some time if it were true as it generally does he would have known this. Simply because kids are not kids forever.
As a footnote I think the reason that he was targeted was because He said "L Ron Hubbard and Heineken and I were having a coffee, L Ron said it's alright for you Arthur you have a proper job, I said you should start a religion so then you wont have to pay the taxes, so thats just what he did and started the Church of Scientology"
edit on 6-6-2021 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2021 by anonentity because: adding

posted on Jun, 6 2021 @ 11:29 PM
link   

If that is true then I could enjoy his book's again, until I know for certain I will not have them in my home now.

But What you say about L Ron Hubbard (I had never heard of the scientology weirdos when I read some of his and was shocked that such a cheesy author could found a cult) is very interesting, he most certainly DID found a cult after something along those lines was said but I always thought it was Hubbard himself that said it, if you want to be rich and powerful start a religion and that is what he did.

But if the idea was actually Clark's and said jestingly it does make an interesting point for a view into Hubbard's mind, Hubbard was a B- grade science fiction author but his story's were indeed entertaining and he had one hell of an imagination though to be frank his writing style could have done with an upgrade, I quite enjoyed battlefield earth (Not the awful movie that lost most of the story and turned a 12 foot bear like alien into john Travolta), he did have some interesting ideas such as a levitation system based on micro teleportation in that book which was used by an alien race as there means of transportation and though he did not use the word quantum he did use reference to these aliens being from another universe - his grasp of biology was rather less impressive though as they were made of virus instead of cell's which of course would simply not work.

But he was no JRR Tolkien or even Clark and it makes you wonder if it was a bit of jealousy going on there as his book's never received the same kind of acknowledgment as Clark's did but in fact the probably sold just as well in many country's, sad though that he turned evil and created a cult that is now runway and ruins and controls people's lives.

They do try to destroy people, those that have left that cult and raised the alarm as best they could they have destroyed when they could and call them squirrels, pretty damned sick cult.

I tend to put them down as weirdo's but in fact many of them are just easily led victim's that get roped in and controlled by there handlers within the cult, nasty piece of work and all the making of a B- grade twisted pulp science fiction writer.

Now if you are ever looking for a good book (I have aged a lot so I may be remembering this through rose tinted glasses as I read them well over 30 years ago) then I would recommend Julian may's novels.

They put to shame as far as readability anything Hubbard or Clark ever wrote though Clark's writings were more realistic (but far less likable or personable characters and far less excitement in his novels, may beats him hands down as far as a fun read is concerned in my opinion).

I would suggest (Audio book's help when your eyesight is failing a bit as mine is and reading gives me headaches these days but it all depends how good the reader is and I have not listened to this one).

edit on 6-6-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2021 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Thanks for that I enjoy laying back and listening to a well-read audiobook, An hour back I just finished East of Eden. With regards to Clark, the fact that he went public with regards to L Ron Hubbard marked him as a man who didn't give a stuff about American BS . As he was a major influencer with a wide intelligent public following and a worldwide audience. Who had as much respect for Soviet achievements as American he would be marked as unpatriotic, the fact he was British during the time when British double agents had defected and done some serious damage would be enough to fix him? His choice of living in such a remote location however beautiful might have been part of a safety plan, he would have talked to a lot of people and was well in with Kubrick which is a name with a lot of conspiracy theories floating around. Another name who would rather do his work out of the USA and didn't like to fly, I wonder why that was ?

posted on Jun, 7 2021 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Kubrick exposed a bit too much for the comfort of some very powerful and cult minded elite members of society, the ones that usually rule governments from the shadows and into all kinds of dark cults when he made that movie Eyes Wide Shut, it was too much reveal for them so many believe he was silenced afterwards.

Whatever the truth was I prefer Spielberg and Lucas style of movies being a simple man was I am though I actually like

James Cameron's movies as well (some of them), Kubrick's style was a bit odd for my taste and yes sadly I only watched Eyes wide shut because of a crush in Kidman I had as a younger man, like I say simple man.

Some conspiracy theory's about Kubrick's death though (And Scientology features in one of those as well though this is not a very good source).
www.enkivillage.org...

But his portrayal of the elite was probably tame compared to reality.
themindcircle.com...
Which have a very long history and the Rothschilds are tame compared to some of the other's whom they displaced at the top of the table.
www.heritagedaily.com...
Despite what you read in that the Hellfire Club the ancestor of the Bullingdon Club and probably also the Skull's were according to many earlier accounts actually Satanists and it is said that at one gathering that went too far a poor unfortunate maid was sacrificed by the drunk toff's and an apparition of the devil as a goat headed entity appeared, probably a weirdo in a costume but I would not put it past them to have murdered a serving maid.

edit on 7-6-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2021 @ 09:46 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

join