It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Progress on China's Third, Larger Aircraft Carrier

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Really ? Can Any of Theres Fly Yet ?

edit on 8-6-2021 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Ah yes, I keep forgetting that Avengers was really a documentary to detail all the super advanced tech that we have to scare all of our potential adversaries away.

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

No , but it WAS Good Sublimital Propaganda you Must Admit .................)

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

" Carriers are far from useless and anyone that thinks they are is a fool. "

Unless they were Attacked from Orbital Space . Lets see them Defend That ......

posted on Jun, 8 2021 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: dragonridr

" Carriers are far from useless and anyone that thinks they are is a fool. "

Unless they were Attacked from Orbital Space . Lets see them Defend That ......

First you would need orbital radar these are expensive and do to massive power outputs last about 2 months. Next you still have to have some idea where the carrier is and a sateelite in low earth orbit doesnt give you a lot of time. About an hour to locate the fleet. If you lose track within 30 min the carrier is gone as the search area becomes to big to find it. The Russians tried to set up a system to track them turned out it was unreliable and expensive do to the number of sateelites needed. Now any missile launch from space since carriers do not stand still needs constant updates to get a missile close to the carrier. And even if it gets close the carrier has defence against balistic missiles.

Then there is the shear integration the Navy has spent decades figuring out how to connect all of its scattered warfighting assets into a single integrated network. So deployed carriers won’t just be relying on their organic sensors to detect threats; they will receive continuous information from surface and undersea warships, from manned and unmanned aircraft, and even from orbiting reconnaissance satellites. Not only will the carrier have detailed awareness of potential dangers, but it will be able to use weapons on remote warships to intercept threats that may be beyond the reach of its on-board systems.

And thier other advantage is sheer size they cant be sunk. They have hundreds of water-tight compartments. They also have thousands of tons of armoring, and redundancy built into major on-board systems such as the electrical wiring. So even a direct hit the carrier can continue to operate. This is not your world war 2 carriers where you damage the flight deck and they were done. They can handle explosions not only do they have steel plates but also kevlar protects vital systems. Consider and view the Forestal Fire that Senator John McCain was involved. A number of aircraft loaded with various ordnance for a strike in North Vietnam, instead exploded on the carrier’s deck. That was 16 1000 lb bombs exploding on deck. Not counting the other ordinance that were on aircraft. Now carriers today have almost twice the deck plating. Well redesigned they are layered 1 in steel plate kevlar panels another 1 in steel plate again they did this 4 times meaning not much is going to get through that deck. They did this to protect the fighters under it. So it can take anything short of a nuke.

Thought id add this because well its very cool. This shows you how they get armaments to the flight deck

edit on 6/8/21 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
While the PLAN isn't /yet/ up to the standards of the US Navy, they're closing ridiculously fast ...

Well, as a British Admiral said in WW2 when faced with some difficult dcsions, and to possibly misquote... "'It takes three years to build a ship, but three hundred years to build a tradition''.

In other words, the Chinese can build as many ships as they like, but do they know how to use them?

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

I dont know about that Shenyang J-15 is a good match for the f 18 super hornet. Its a solid 4th gen fighter and would outmatch anything their neighbors have. They just dont have alot of them yet.

We will see, they have had big issue with power to performance in their limited ability to carry fuel and bombs.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

The only country that really doesn't currently, outside the US, are the French, and they only have one carrier.

posted on Jun, 13 2021 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

At the onset of Operation Barbarossa, the Soviet Army and Air Force lacked contemporary combined arms doctrines and experience. They evolved these capabilities on the battlefield. IMO, the PLAN might develop similarly, and that includes their carrier arm and the aerospace domain. Hopefully, I have provided people with something to consider.

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 01:07 PM
link   
news article: South Korea reviewing carrier designs

www.defensenews.com...
designs/

Two shipbuilders have each displayed their conceptual designs for the South Korean Navy’s future light aircraft carrier, code-named CVX.

The South Korean companies unveiled their offerings at the four-day International Maritime Defense Industry Exhibition, a biennial naval defense show, which began June 9 in the southern port city of Busan.

The MADEX show is taking place four months after South Korea’s arms procurement agency announced the government tentatively earmarked about $2 billion to build a homemade 30,000-ton aircraft carrier to enter service by 2033. The Defense Ministry is conducting a feasibility study of the project for final approval by the National Assembly.

this will undoubtedly add to the chicoms paranoia etc

posted on Jun, 14 2021 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Yes i read this they want a smaller carrier to hunt subs that way they don't need a supercarrier. Many navies have decided smaller carriers' assigned tasks are cheaper.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 11:52 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 09:44 AM
link   

whudda thunk the Iron Giant was a member of the Chinese navy?

More seriously, island is on the carrier.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   
China wants a blue wster fleet so bad, but its own neigbhors may form an asiatic alliance to counter Chinas growong threat.

Wouldn't that be funny? The very fleet china wants will have to compete with its local allied up fleets, one can dream?

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I no longer deny chinas ability to build andanufactor. We've long passed that point.

We have a real world near peer adversary under a Gov system that can direct on a fly.

I will always trust American tenacity and ferocity over the chinese and we get things done.

My point is, some of us just aren't going to gush over chinese military progress, rather, observe it as something becoming aggressively stronger.

Reminds me of the old british days on the "rules of war" when in reality, none exist, only the strong and cunning.

Edit01: Grade A hacks like Gen Miley focusing on BS like "white anger" is putting us at a tactical disadvantage and when I heard that, I immediately felt fear for our Country, a real gnaw and twist in my gut. Meanwhile, China is growing day by day.
edit on 30-6-2021 by Arnie123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 08:00 AM
link   
China launches third aircraft carrier in military advance www.theguardian.com...

"China has launched its third aircraft carrier, the first designed and built entirely in the country, marking a significant military advance for the Asian superpower."

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
We can say their carriers suck while not suggesting they are a walk in the park during war. China is the second strongest military in the world, nothing to sneer at.

I wouldn't say that their carriers "suck". I will say that they haven't yet developed the experience to operate them effectively.
China may be the "second Strongest" military in the world, but, that is only if you share a land border with them. Their force projection capabilities are weak and in some areas non-existent.

If an incident arises where that carrier has to go into combat against the US, I predict that it will have a short but exciting life. About 4 Mk. 48 ADCAPS will see to that.

Sink all of the tugboats!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

I wouldn't say that their carriers "suck". I will say that they haven't yet developed the experience to operate them effectively.

On a very basic level lower than crew experience or other factors like quality in their ships and planes, their aircraft are very limited in the fuel to bombs ratios they can carry and have limited airplanes to use, so lets say they are very under performing based on technology they have.

edit on 17-6-2022 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join