It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah 9yr Old Girl takes 4yr Old Sister & Parent's Car on Road Trip to California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The parents were asleep. It was perfect timing, she thought! So she snatched the car keys and she and her 4yr sister buckled up and set out to California, so that they could "swim in the ocean"! LOL

The girls got approximately 10 miles from their home before “hopping a median and slamming head-on into a semi truck,” police said.

9-year-old girl driving her 4-year-old sister crashes into semitruck

Don't worry folks! The girls are fine. Amazingly, nobody got hurt!

The vehicle the girls were driving sustained “serious damage,” and the truck had to be towed from the scene.

Police confirmed that nobody was hurt in the accident, noting that the girls did remember to put on their seatbelts.

“So, what prompted this impromptu trip? The girls told officers that they were headed to California because they wanted to ‘swim in the ocean,’” the department shared on Twitter.

The girls’ parents did not know that they had taken the car until police went to their home on Wednesday.

Kids, eh? HAHA

When I turned 3, my parents gave me a tricycle for my birthday. Sometime later, i was tooling around on my trike in the backyard, when my mother came out the back door, handed me an empty egg carton, and told me to go to the store and get some eggs.

So, I did. I rode my trike down the driveway and on the sidewalk, down to the corner, and I waited for the light to turn green. I crossed the busy street and walked right into the store and traded my empty egg carton for a full one, got back on my trike and started home, with a the carton of eggs under my arm.

As I was crossing the busy street, the eggs started dropping out of the carton onto the street. When I bent over to try to pick them up, I fell off my trike. So, there I was, sitting in a puddle of broken eggs, crying, in the middle of a busy intersection!

The police came, treated me to an ice cream cone and I waited at the station for my mother to notice I was missing and call the police!

Boy was she mad at me, when she finally showed up!

What kind of travel trouble did you get into as a kid, ATS?

edit on 3-6-2021 by Sookiechacha because: Utah not Florida

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

None.

My parents didn't know I was joyriding at 14 until I was in my 30's.

Be smart kids, don't get caught!

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

None.

My parents didn't know I was joyriding at 14 until I was in my 30's.

Be smart kids, don't get caught!

Hah! I got ya beat.

My Dad taught us all how to drive when I was about 8, in case we ever needed to drive him or Mom to the hospital in the event of an accident.

When I was about 10, we started taking the old VW truck (the one with the side panels that that you can lay down just like the back) to carry our camping gear to the campsite (we lived on 80 acres about 6 miles outside of town). Once we'd set up camp, we'd drive out the back way to an old dirt road, then head to town for the night.

Never got caught - but I did tell them about it much later (I think I was probably about 40, maybe 50).

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

In '67 there was this happening called the Summer of Love. My older brother read about it in Life magazine.

We headed out on our bicycles, single speed, not fancy 10 speeds, to San Francisco to be hippies.

After a couple of hours, we consulted the map. We'd gone about .01 % of the way. Then we went back home.

That's how I missed out on love. I've been a total emotional wreck ever since.

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I didn't have a tangible travel misadventure per se, but ...

My best friend from across the street and I noticed that in a clump of lilac bushes in my backyard that there was a little open hollow, so being curious 5 and 6-year-olds, we pushed our way inside and decided it was an awesome hideout.

For our parents, it was not so awesome.

I'm sure we spent all afternoon and well into the evening traveling all kinds of awesome, wooded places ... dangerous lands in our imaginations. Meanwhile, our parents really did travel all kinds of places all over looking for us. We were blissfully oblivious to all of it. They were in a major panic, even called the cops. I forget how they finally found us, but they did. And then they couldn't even be mad because we were right where we were supposed to be doing what we should have been all along.

Now my cousin got into a real travel adventure when he was 5 or 6. He had one of those plastic hot wheels trikes, and one morning he was out riding it and he saw the garbage truck. Well, he wondered where it went, so he followed it ... all the way across town! And he lived in a moderately large sized town for Kansas, 100K+ population.

posted on Jun, 4 2021 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I remember my first GTA!

posted on Jun, 4 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The kids in my neighborhood all drive golfcarts or the little scooters none of which are street legal and the kids are typically 5-14 basically below the legal driving age.

I bet it lets them feel free but I do think it gives them a sense of entitlement and lack of caution or regard to driving laws.

new topics

top topics

join