It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Mans Sky Prisms , new free update available now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 10:13 AM
link   
In a couple of months No Man's Sky will be 5 years old yet Hello Games are still working on it and still bringing major updates to the game adding more Stuff and features, today Hello Games have released No Mans Sky Prisms.

PRISMS brings with it a visual overhaul of No Man’s Sky. Virtually no part of the game has been left untouched - our small team have enhanced the technology and the art all across the game to make the entire universe more vivid and beautiful than ever. Planets, skies, stars, creatures, the weather, space stations and more - new technology and new content mean they look the best they’ve ever been. We can’t wait for players to discover the changes.

While exploring planets you’ll notice new weather effects, such as rain which refracts the light and surfaces that become slick and wet. Or if you venture underground you’ll find caves with new lighting effects, more detailed environments and greater variety of generation.

Hello Games , gamers developing for gamers.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I know a lot of folks were upset at launch and I understand that. I only heard a little about the game myself and I was out of town and decided to hop in a gamestop to kill some time before a flight. Saw it sitting on the shelf day after release already used for almost half price, so I picked it up with no expectations. Really enjoyed the heck out of it at the time and as I've gone back to play over the years it just keeps getting better. So hearing about new expansions for this game always makes me smile.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 11:31 AM
link   

They are fair light entertainment but arguably Empyrion Galactic survival despite having far less advanced visuals is the better game.

Still this revamp makes NMS look even better than it did.

Sadly neither of them are what I would call a great game, they need a real story, imagine starting almost star wars like as one of several character, a bounty hunter, rogue smuggler, gunslinger etc each with a back story and axe to grind, vengeance, justice or just simply getting paid and recovering your stolen ship, you find yourself dumped on an end of the universe type planet with ruined city's, destroyed trash ship's dumped there after the intro story brings you to that point, instead of a talking computer you find as you search around a damaged but still functioning droid companion and over the course of exploring the first world find various upgrades including a construction module and suit and starter weapon sets to get you going.

The first world would only allow you limited ability's so your first jury rigged ship made from parts of destroyed alien vessels hobbled together would not be a looker even with customization options, it's and your personal first weapons would not be the best you could get and for that you would eventually have to make your way to more advanced worlds.

To my mind this would have made a game with the options to go along with building up your junk fleet and just eking out an existence as a junk trader almost neelix style or to explore further and longer becoming whatever your original or new profession is, to become a kind of NMS Elite merged experience or to simply role play and for this to be viable it would need real factions, proper story's and a universe around it that made sense.

I think NMS is laudable as it's creators keep mending and adding to there game, I would have loved to see what could have come from a cooperation between them and the creator of Empyrion and I would even more love to see a real polished big budget studio version of an open world RPG with proper back story in a star warsy style universe incorporating elements from both of those games (but not ripping of there creators I hate it when big budget studios do that or steal mod makers ideas).

To be fair NMS and Empyrion are boring played solo but played with other players they can be brilliant and fun, the best of both worlds would be a simplified Empyrion with the graphics of NMS but what I really want is something with a story that has feeling to it and a bit more RPG like, I ended up making my NMS character look like a Scout Trooper so yeah I am still wrapped up in Star Wars somewhere.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Is NMS any good ?
I cannot tell you how many times I was off and on about the game for the entire time.

But speaking of keeping the game up , it hasn't been that long , there was an update for Titan Quest.
Believe it , or not.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Depends on what you're looking for out of a game. As LABTECH767 has mentioned, the story elements are a little lacking, but this is a game more about exploration than anything else. So if that's the style of game you're looking for it's currently on sale on Steam for 50% off.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

Depends on what you're looking for out of a game. As LABTECH767 has mentioned, the story elements are a little lacking, but this is a game more about exploration than anything else. So if that's the style of game you're looking for it's currently on sale on Steam for 50% off.

I have 515 games installed , so I enjoy all types.
My son got it early for one of his consoles and the basic end game was to get to the center of the universe ?

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 02:57 PM
link   

That's the basics of it, I know they've added a ton more content in the expansions, I just haven't really had the chance to sit down and see everything.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Loved this game since day one, just get's better with every update and plenty of great mods that make it even better.

Shaky start but Hello Games has made an amazing comeback.

Updates downloading now, cannot wait to see how the DLSS etc makes the game look.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Is NMS any good ?
I cannot tell you how many times I was off and on about the game for the entire time.

But speaking of keeping the game up , it hasn't been that long , there was an update for Titan Quest.
Believe it , or not.

Game has always been fairly fun for me. It's what I expected and I enjoy the exploration/survival in space 'walking simulator' vibe of the game. Nice chill pace to it, and the 70's 80's scifi novel cover aesthetics can be mesmerising.

Mods came out fairly quickly and within a week or two my game was modded to the point it was much closer to how the base game was advertised. I believe Hello Games has even adopted some of the mods into the official core game also over the years. But yeah, mods make the game massively more fun.
Good example of dev and community supporting each other so that everybody wins.

If you haven't already I recommend anyone who owns NMS on PC check out the Nexus Mods directory for the game.
No Man's Sky on Nexus Mods

Be a few mods broken with this update I reckon, but a lot of mods get updated fairly quickly. Game has an amazing level of customization to it.
edit on 2-6-2021 by AtomicKangaroo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AtomicKangaroo

Is NMS any good ?

Believe it , or not.

Game has always been fairly fun for me. It's what I expected and I enjoy the exploration/survival in space 'walking simulator' vibe of the game. Nice chill pace to it, and the 70's 80's scifi novel cover aesthetics can be mesmerising.

Mods came out fairly quickly and within a week or two my game was modded to the point it was much closer to how the base game was advertised. I believe Hello Games has even adopted some of the mods into the official core game also over the years. But yeah, mods make the game massively more fun.
Good example of dev and community supporting each other so that everybody wins.

If you haven't already I recommend anyone who owns NMS on PC check out the Nexus Mods directory for the game.
No Man's Sky on Nexus Mods

Be a few mods broken with this update I reckon, but a lot of mods get updated fairly quickly. Game has an amazing level of customization to it.

It has modding support ?
My SKSE size on disk is 90+ gigs.
And I used to mod .
Several posted to the Nexus way back in the day.

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 02:10 AM
link   

It has modding support ?
My SKSE size on disk is 90+ gigs.
And I used to mod .
Several posted to the Nexus way back in the day.

Sure does, has had it since day 1. Lot of the mods are pretty small file size also.

Only issue is waiting for mods to hopefully be updated after NMS gets an update. Even better is it is the only game I have ever played where you can still play with friends and strangers with your mods enabled, even if they do not have those mods installed. Might have weird experiences though with other players if you use mods that change a planets environments. e.g you are mining something they cannot see. lol

Well hopefully that is still the case, played with Prisms a bit and it has seriously changed the game at least visually speaking. So might be difficult or unnecessary for some mods to be updated. Gonna have to wait and see.

Prisms seems to be doing what quite a few of my installed mods did. So far I am liking what I see with this new update.
Entering a planet's atmosphere now feels like it should have always been. (It's been changed so many times over the years)

edit on 3-6-2021 by AtomicKangaroo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo
Welp , I think I will soon have 516 games installed
Thanks everyone

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Nvidia have released a new WHQL driver for DLSS in NMS.
GeForce 466.63

including the latest patch for No Man's Sky which introduces NVIDIA DLSS technology. Additionally, this release also provides optimal support for Chivalry 2, Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2, and the new NVIDIA Reflex integrations in War Thunder and Escape from Tarkov.
forums.guru3d.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Also if you want to use DLSS, the option is under the games 'anti-aliasing' settings. Just cycle through until DLSS appears then you have the usual choices to pick from between performance and quality. (Just mention it because I have had friends not be able to locate it lol.)

Only 2 gripes so far with Prisms. Not a fan of the new starfield look, too big, bright and flashy for me. And on space stations the floor reflections kind of bug out and make the floor look low res and blurry once you look beyond about 2 meters in front of you in the hangar area.

Everything else though has been all pluses. Creature fur and increased detail on them and other models is pretty great. Game is way closer to those original E3 trailers now.

Playing on a RTX2060 and Ryzen 5 3600, 1080 res with everything set to ultra and the games not missing a beat.

Now I just need to go see if the main mods I use that remove 'speed lines', dust and tone down asteroid fields when pulse driving will work or have been updated, because I like to see where I am flying. lol

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Another tip, if you're on Steam and want to take photos in game you need the steam overlay enabled or the photo's do not save. Also with this update in photo mode my screen grabs turn out as solid black rectangles.

Mind you Steams F12 press to take a screenshot still works, just remember to hide the games photo UI after you've set up the shot and hit F12.

In saying that though, Steams screen captures are low res and don't look as good as they do in game (saves them as jpeg which is notorious for compression), recommend nVidia users that have Geforce Experience use that program to capture screenshots instead for high quality captures. GFE saves them to the lossless .png format.

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Thanks everyone

I'm up to about 978 games across various game game clients now in just my PC collection alone.
I worry I shall never get to play them all in my lifetime. First world problems hey?

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AtomicKangaroo

Thanks everyone

I'm up to about 978 games across various game game clients now in just my PC collection alone.
I worry I shall never get to play them all in my lifetime. First world problems hey?

12 TB of storage space and have about 3TB left .
You got that right .

new topics

top topics

join