It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Iranian navy ship sinks after catching fire

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 06:32 AM
link   
The fire started this morning on the the Iranian ship Kharg , one of the biggest in Iran's fleet , it was built in Britain before the 1979 Revolution and came into service in 1984 but in recent years has been used as a training vessel.

The Iranian army has said the fire started in the engine room and the crew has been safely evacuated , following a 20 hour rescue operation the ship has sunk close to the port of Jask in the south of the country.

It's unclear if the fire was an accident or sabotage but at this point I guess both explanations must be considered.

Translation: PR of the second maritime district of Jask has announced that after a fire broke out at the Kharg vessel and personnel were moved to the beach, the rescue operation for the training vessel failed after 20 hours of all-out work due to the spreading of the fire and the vessel rested in the Jask waters.

A local army official told the semi-official Tasnim news agency that 20 people suffered minor burns.

No reason was provided for the cause of the fire but an army official told Iran’s IRNA the fire started in the engine room and parts of the ship’s body melted and fell into the sea.
www.aljazeera.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The same 'training vessel' whose gun boats recently received some warning shots from US Navy near Hormuz entrance?

www.foxnews.com...

The same 'training vessel' that has been used for many years to resupply Iranian command ship anchored near Yemen?

The command ship that recently experienced a 'mysterious explosion'?

Ah yes 'training' vessel.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 06:46 AM
link   

www.memecenter.com...

Would seem to be about the same size

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Give it a couple of days and I'm sure they'll find a way to blame the U.S.
All after a "thorough investigation" of course.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArchangelOger

www.memecenter.com...

Would seem to be about the same size

"We. All. Live. in a yellow teale submarine"

"A yellow teale submarine!"

"A yellow teale submarine."

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

I think if anyone was going to be blamed it would be Israel although I think the likelihood , given Iran's previous history , is the fire was accidental and partly as a result of the sanctions regime they find themselves under.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I'd wonder at the quality of the maintenance done over the years as why spend ages trying to make a ship go up when all you need to do is let lazy maint and probably some officer into a no smoking area with a lit cig and whammo job done and theres nothing to link back to you.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
I'd wonder at the quality of the maintenance done over the years as why spend ages trying to make a ship go up when all you need to do is let lazy maint and probably some officer into a no smoking area with a lit cig and whammo job done and theres nothing to link back to you.

NoName.

* Smashes Mic Against Wall In Disgust *

edit on 2-6-2021 by Nunyabizisit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I spent a couple years working for 5th Fleet in Bahrain. Most of my time was focused on the Kuwaiti Navy and Coast Guard. Interestingly, their most effective capability was the Coast Guard, not the Navy. When I visited both of their bases it was clear where the country's money was being focused.

One day I was in the office of the Kuwait Navy harbor master. We sat down for tea as was custom and began discussing the plight of their Navy. He had me step out onto his lanai that overlooked the harbor and pointed to a pier with 3 ships moored. He said [insert my name here], do you know what those ships are? I told him their names and classes. ...and missed the point entirely.

He responded with a sad look in his eye and told me that they were memories. Memories of 1991 and the cooperation between the US and Kuwait for mutual defense. They hadn't left the pier since the early 2000s. One had sunken at the pier and they raised it a few years later.

I bring this up because their Navy had essentially rusted at the pier because they didn't know how to perform routine maintenance. They didn't bother to add oil when it was low. They didn't clean the hulls. They didn't keep their electronic and navigational systems operational. When the ships broke, they broke.

As part of my job I also assessed the Iranian Naval capabilities. Of course, they were (are) more advanced. They keep a much higher operational readiness than Kuwait ever did... mainly because of the Straits of Hormuz. But I can't help wonder... sometimes sanctions have effects that are not predictable. Perhaps because of those sanctions routine maintenance started to lag, or not be done at all. Maybe major overhauls were postponed or cancelled due to lack of funds. Maybe something just broke catastrophically because they were unable to procure a critical repair part?

Before Israel, the US or anybody for that matter claims to have sabotaged this ship, I humbly submit that this event might have been years in the making and serves as a great example of strategic effects from the seemingly benign action of sanctions.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Some footage from YT.

youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I served onboard HMAS Westralia, a similar replenishment vessel which fell victim to an engine room fire in 1998 causing the death of four sailers and almost cost the ship. It was caused by incorrect injector lines being fitted to the engines. They split and sprayed atomised diesel onto the exhaust manifold. It was a terrible tragedy caused by human error.

a reply to: Avardan

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

originally posted by: DAVID64

I think if anyone was going to be blamed it would be Israel although I think the likelihood , given Iran's previous history , is the fire was accidental and partly as a result of the sanctions regime they find themselves under.

If I look back to the dedication and willingness to sacrifice themselves for any threat against Israel it is this nation high on my list of culprits. How bold and determined they were distroying the Irak nuclear plant is telling..

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: zatara

I'll go with poor maintaince or neglence.

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   

It's unclear if the fire was an accident or sabotage but at this point I guess both explanations must be considered.

How do you proof attacks with directed energy weapons?

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   

At about 40 years of age she would have been retired by almost any first world navy, an aging vessel probably jury rigged by people whom never fully knew the specifications and most probably refitted by idiots on more than one occasion if ever she was.

Most likely wear and tear and poor maintenance, it could have been of course a tactical move to deprive the Iranian's of naval asset but all this is likely to do is make them go out and buy a better replacement from someone, probably Russia though China may loan then one of there Fishing Boats.

I would like to say good on whoever got rid of this but in fact I believe it was most likely age related failure and poor maintenance just as some other very well informed members have suggested.

No foul play (though would it be foul or would it be fair?).

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 02:46 PM
link   
mossad job ..netanahu need desperate credits..
no prime minister anymoore than facing jail for his crimes !
edit on 2-6-2021 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Still watching on this but there is a end times bible prophecy that seems to predict that at the start of the end times a powerful country from the west would attack and conquer 3 nations in the middle east. Right now the US stands at 2 conquered. So if the Daniel 8 prophecy is running right now as I suspect then how much time do you think Iran has? And how will the attacks take place? And was this ship sinking finally the opening shot in that war?

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I heard somebody say
Burn, baby, burn, iranian ship on fire
Burn, baby, burn, oil refinery to
Burn, baby, burn, iranian ship on fire
Burn, baby, burn, oil refinery to

posted on Jun, 2 2021 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

mossad job ..netanahu need desperate credits.. no prime minister anymoore than facing jail for his crimes

BB is on the way out, and the guy taking his place first is much more extreme. Hamas and other jihadis better hold on to their asses.

Bennett, meanwhile, is a former top aide to Netanyahu whose small Yamina party caters to religious and nationalist hard-liners. Bennett was a successful high-tech entrepreneur and leader of the West Bank settler movement before entering politics. It is far from certain that their coalition will last that long. In order to secure the required parliamentary majority, Lapid had to bring together eight parties that have little in common. Their partners range from a pair of dovish, left-wing parties that support broad concessions to the Palestinians to three hard-line parties that oppose Palestinian independence and support West Bank settlements. Lapid’s Yesh Atid and Blue and White, a centrist party headed by Defense Minister Benny Gantz, and the United Arab List are the remaining members.
Lapid, Bennett, Abbas finalize coalition deal to oust Netanyahu

i don't think the collation will last to long after BB is gone, in fact it will probably disolve fairly quickly. seeing how 3 of the 8 are hard line parties.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join