It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More weirdness with Lumber prices

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

There are major things at play right now. Take a look around and see where the disruption is...
Lumber
Shipping/trucking
The meat industry has a target on it’s back
The electronic market/chips/microchips
All forms of customer service and low level jobs that could be done by robots

The next 3-5 years are going to be real interesting.

it almost sounds like they are getting ready to round people up and send them off to Canadian Concentration Camps. Need lumber to build the camps, meat and grains to feed people, and chips to "CHIP" people. Did America lose a war with Canada?

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

They were talking on a home show this past weekend about this and there are quite a few builders in the area (MN) that are no longer pre-selling homes or spec homes. They are building to a certain spec and then pricing afterwards due to how fast the materials cost is changing.

For home building it isn’t just the lumber production it’s the vinyl and aluminum for siding, shingle materials, and many plastic or resin based building products are just way behind. They specifically talked to a regional siding manufacturer and they are barely able to maintain current orders. There has been no time to build up any stock based on their output and for how bad the shutdowns set them back. Couple that with paying people to not work it isn’t helping the manufacturing sectors.

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

" I don't think there is anything nefarious "

REALLY ? Think Again........

posted on Jun, 22 2021 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: JAGStorm

There have been huge supply chain disruptions. I don't think there is anything nefarious, but many companies and industries have not been able to keep up with consumer demand and the shutdowns did a number on their supply chains.

I can't find an Xbox or a PS5. Plenty of other non-essential goods are hard to come by for some reason.

I keep seeing this answer but I don't actually think that's the problem.
I live on an island with lots of tourism. I have a job that requires calling contractors of every type and they have all been working/booked out months in advance and working 24/7 the last year fixing up condos/hotels/houses/restaurants etc. while they have been empty and closed down.
I think this applies to every major town/city in every state. Factor in the millions of folks loosing their homes and those renovations and you have a perfect storm for a lumber shortage. Granted the supply chain is a factor but we are having a real estate resurgence everywhere at the moment which involves renovating to some extent.
The rich folks buying up ALL of the property clearly need to renovate their new rental properties

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join