It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hiring for the diversity, not the quality

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

There is a difference between saying that something is intellectually stupid and disagreeing with it and how it was arrived at.

For all that I disagree with her, as a justice RBG could at least explain her rulings with intellect. I didn't think she was right, but she was by no means stupid.

However, RBG was also qualified for the job, and not merely chosen because she was a woman. This is talking about making sure that whoever is chosen is chosen first for being a black woman and second for being qualified. Let's go back to the example of being a typist ... so maybe this justice is basically qualified, but is she the best one for the job out of all of them or only the best black woman for the job?

And that's the suspicion that will always follow her - she was chosen more for being black than for being qualified.
edit on 31-5-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Equality of outcome rather than equality of opportunity is asinine.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guiltyguitarist
Diversity of skin. Not diversity of thought

Thought ?

Leftists don't do thinking.....

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: oloufo
a reply to: network dude

if she really was picked because of her skin color and then still takes the job... she just does what billions of white people have done before her. the times they are a-changin'.

How long does it take for US news to reach you ?
You are about 30 years or more behind.
Catch up
edit on 5/31/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

There is a difference between saying that something is intellectually stupid and disagreeing with it and how it was arrived at.

For all that I disagree with her, as a justice RBG could at least explain her rulings with intellect. I didn't think she was right, but she was by no means stupid.

However, RBG was also qualified for the job, and not merely chosen because she was a woman. This is talking about making sure that whoever is chosen is chosen first for being a black woman and second for being qualified. Let's go back to the example of being a typist ... so maybe this justice is basically qualified, but is she the best one for the job out of all of them or only the best black woman for the job?

And that's the suspicion that will always follow her - she was chosen more for being black than for being qualified.

One of the leading conservative opinions the last few years was that RBG was so infirmed that her clerks and handlers where writing her opinions for her. Many people even thought she was dead well before she actually was.

Even this liberal judge you personaly seem willing to accept was not accepted as qualified by most conservatives in the current climate of hyper tribalism.

There really is no point for conservatives to argue a secondary reason why any new liberal nominee is unqualified; being liberal is all it takes to make them unqualified. Complaining about their sex and color is an unforced error.
edit on 31-5-2021 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'd like to know when being a Constitutionalist made a Supreme Court Justice a conservative.

I thought all on the Court were supposed to be strict interpreters of the Constitution.

Now we have introduced Justices that want to "re-imagine" the Constitution and that scares the sweet holy crap out of me.

So know we have Justices that think they know better than our founding fathers.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Since being conservative makes one resistant to change and innovation; than the strict interpretation of the constellation (constellationalist) is part and parcel with conservatism.

Likewise Liberalism and a less strict interpretation of the constitution also go together.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 09:01 PM
link   

The Constitution wasn't written in pencil.

If you want to make changes, you make an Amendment.

Not change at the bench.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The Constitution wasn't written in pencil.

If you want to make changes, you make an Amendment.

Not change at the bench.

And your more conservative opinion in that regard is not necessarily wrong; but not all americans agree with you.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 09:08 PM
link   

It doesn't matter if they agree with me or not.

It's in the Constitution.

If you want to change it, there are procedures detailed.

It dosesn't matter what I think or what you feel.

The Constitution is very specific in this regard.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 09:26 PM
link   

It doesn't matter if they agree with me or not.

It's in the Constitution.

If you want to change it, there are procedures detailed.

It dosesn't matter what I think or what you feel.

The Constitution is very specific in this regard.

It most certainly matters how many people agree with you.

The Constitution is a peace of paper; its not a devin relic sent down by god with the power to smote all that oppose it.

The power the Constitution has is derived by our society agreeing to adhere to it as the supreme law of the land. If no one agreed with the constitution than it would be completely powerless.

That in turn means the Constitution is always at the mercy of how the dominant political ideology interprets it. There is simply no way around this fact. You can say "It's in the Constitution" as if that means something all you want and you will just come off sounding like an old man yelling at the local kids to get of your lawn. Yea its your lawn and they shouldn't be on it ... but if they don't listen to you and the rest of the neighborhood doesn't either than there's not much you can do about it.

At issue is that up until the last few decades stricter interpretation of the Constitution has been common among the dominant political ideologies. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore which makes being the dominant political ideology more important if you want to see stricter interpretation continue.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 09:28 PM
link   

If the Constitution ends, then so will our nation.

I guess many are hoping for that.

Personally? I took an oath to protect and defend it.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
This timeline is stupid.

I blame the LHC. There's more to that than we're told. The little party they threw a few years ago speaks volumes.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 09:34 PM
link   

If the Constitution ends, then so will our nation.

I guess many are hoping for that.

Personally? I took an oath to protect and defend it.

The Constitution won't end (at least not any time soon); but it is possible for it to be reinterpreted in ways that not only you disagree with; but also fundamental change society. So in turn the nation won't end; but it may turn into something you don't like and may choose no longer to protect and defend.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 09:36 PM
link   

You can reimagine it into a cheese sandwich, many are trying to do that right now.

It's unamerican, in my humble opinion.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I may sound like a broken record, but....Obama.

The disrespect for the Constitution started snowballing when he said,

“On issue after issue, we cannot rely on a rule-book written for a different century"

And he said that at the UN.

Then we get Trump, who wanted to put America first.

Now we have Joek Biden and Obama 2.0 Harris, doing what they're doing.

But...the silver lining is.....

NO
GOD
DAMNED
MEAN
TWEETS

So all you Never Trumpers can breathe deep and unclinch your @554013s.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 09:48 PM
link   

You can reimagine it into a cheese sandwich, many are trying to do that right now.

It may very well be "unamerican" if so what are "Americans" doing about it?

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: EdisonintheFM

Agreed.

Too many want the Constitution changed only because it limits government and those that desire a larger mopre controlling, authoritarian government would want the Constitution changed.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dandandat2

It may very well be "unamerican" if so what are "Americans" doing about it?

Many Americans, obviously, want larger, authoritarian government.

That would go against the Constitution, but people can vote away their god-given rights if they want.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

You have strange way of looking at race in America.

I agree there was a time when black people had their applications for anything shuffled to the bottom of the pile, but if you're an employer, lender, renter, whatever, and you understand statistics regarding your business and its clientele, then you'd obviously go with the better choice. I do believe black people in America don't always get a fair shake, but it's not because of Whitey McCracker, it's because of other black people. It's not fair, but it is what is, good business sense.

I'm sure I sound racist but I've done hiring before, and for every five black people I hired, only one to two would I be glad I hired them.

As far as Hispanics go, never was I disappointed. So I guess I'm partially rayciss....right?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join