It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus said, “Give to him that asketh thee. . . "

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   
IN Matthew Jesus said, in 5:42 “Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.”

All you who want to say, "we follow the commandments of Jesus" why is it you don't obey this command?

I have asked some of you here to give me $1,000 as a test to see if you would follow this command. You made excuses like "You don't need it" There is no mention of it having to be a need in the command.

Some have tried to say that was for then, but wouldn't that be applicable to all the commands then?

So how many people have you turned away that asked you for something since being a Christian who follows ALL the commands of Jesus? How many have you said you would not give them a loan since being a Christian who follows the commandments of Jesus.

Doesn't that make you a hypocrite if you don't follow this command of Jesus while you are claiming to be following the commands of Jesus? At best it may make you a liar.
edit on 5/31/2021 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Cos God gave me a brain as well as a command to love
I decide, not you

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I believe that applies to those in need that you happen to cross paths with... not some guy on the internet that could be thousands of miles away...

And yeah i follow said "commandment"... and im not even Christian

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:19 AM
link   
So you want to test Christians to give you one thousand dollars? So....testing a Christian's faith concerning money?

Do you think Christians are gullible and/or stupid? I already know your answer and aren't you an atheist?

Did you ask the Muslims, Jews or the Hindu's? What about any other religion than Christianity?

Money is your idol....maybe pray to mammon and see if he will listen to you.....

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

It is not about deciding which commands to follow and which not to follow. If you claim to follow the commands of Jesus then be consistent and follow all of them.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Again there is no "need" term in the text. It says "give to him that asks . . .

When we decide to qualify what it means rather than literally just what it says.

We make ourselves to be god in God's stead. Or if you like we have fulfilled the claim of Satan, Ye shall be gods".

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:33 AM
link   

That might be your opinion but, I don’t subscribe to your fundamentalism style
I would ask you for a thousand dollars, but that’s disingenuous and not love

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Just like with asking from God sometimes the answer is no.

Tell you what though, you give me a $1OOO ......and both lead by example and practice what you preach......

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Someone asking you for something would imply they are in need of it... Just as it says IF you give someone a coat ask not for it in return

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

I did so in the past. This thread is about the real issue of what to follow and what not to follow.

If I say I determine what to follow and not follow then I am following me/myself and I and not God's words.

But if I learn to Study 2Tim2:15 and I follow the command to Rightly divide 2Tim 2:15 then I can determine who these commands are for and who and when they are to be followed.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:40 AM
link   

go back through the contextualized scriptures of Matthew 5. You will see if some one compels you to go one then go two.

Was the compelling a need or a want?

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

I would tell you no, and explain that the teaching in Matthew 5 was for Israels preparation to enter into the kingdom, they would have followed it for a 1,000 years in that kingdom until the Great White throne Judgement.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

go back through the contextualized scriptures of Matthew 5. You will see if some one compels you to go one then go two.

Was the compelling a need or a want?

That’s in relation to following Roman laws and carrying a soldiers kit, in no way is that the same as some random stranger asking for money
The bible states if your eye or arm causes you to sin, cut them off, can I assume you have no eyes or arms or, you have no sin?

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   

This verse doesn't mean what you want people to think it means. In this and the previous verses, Jesus is talking about reacting to evil people. He is expressing the concept of resisting evil not by countering it with evil, but by countering it with good - if someone slaps you on the cheek, give them the other cheek too. If someone sues for your shirt, give them your shirt and your coat too. If someone forces you to walk a mile, walk two miles. He isn't telling people to literally do these things, he's teaching the concept of not reacting with more evil, but reacting with good.
Ever hear the term "kill them with kindness"?

Proverbs 25:21-22
21 If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat;
if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.
22 In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head

Picking out a single verse and trying to attack the meaning of it alone without having any understanding of the underlying teaching is foolish.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Jesus doesn't tell us to give exactly what someone asks for... nor does Jesus tell us we must do anything necessarily for the would-be borrower except not to turn him away.

If someone asks me to kill them, I'm going to say no. But I will offer whatever other help I can.

If someone wants to borrow my car, I would (probably) say no, but I might offer them a ride or cab fare.

And if someone wants to play "gotcha" and make ridiculous demands and/or ask stupid questions about the Lord's word, I'm not going to let myself be manipulated into playing their silly game.
edit on 31-5-2021 by Boadicea because: clarity -- transposed words

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I must admit I hace problems myself in practising this command, and it's partly a trust issue; "Will there be enough left for my own needs?"
The Sermon on the Mount is well-known for not being easy.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 11:11 AM
link   

The Didache 11 says:

If any prophet, speaking in the spirit, says, "Give me money (or anything else)", do not listen to him. On the other hand, if he bids you give it to someone else who is in need, nobody should criticize him.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Well context is why we assume it is a need. but further context puts these rules on a group of people, namely Israel, to practice in the kingdom.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Are you poor and helpless? Are you in serious dire need of that money? Christians react differently to giving to the needy, I personally am not a millionaire that I can give cash freely, though I know that I give what I can. Others give food/water instead of money, understanding that some beggars would not use the money for the uses the giver intended. What is the right thing to do? Biblically speaking, we are to help the poor. But, does our responsibility end with the giving, or should we give and make sure our gifts are used for the right purposes?

Rather than giving money or food/water, some prefer to offer transportation to a local shelter and/or provide financial support directly to the shelter. By supporting rescue missions financially, most Christians help the poor who would otherwise be begging on the street.

God wants us to help the poor and blesses us when we do. In the words of the psalmist David, we are told, “Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble. The LORD will protect him and preserve his life; he will bless him in the land and not surrender him to the desire of his foes” (Psalm 41:1-2). It is indeed a worthy cause to help the poor, including the sign-holders on our street corners. Each of us must respond to these people as the Lord guides, not forgetting at the same time to offer prayers for these needy people. Though at the end of the day we need to remember God does not give us everything we want. You must be grateful and be content with what you have.

As it says:
Philippians 4:11-13
New International Version
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well said.a reply to: trollz

top topics

<<   2 >>

join