So, it all started last Saturday night on my daughter’s 21st birthday. She broke her ankle due to waaayyy too much alcohol. She doesn’t even
remember much of the night and doesn’t remember braking her ankle. Went for X-rays on Monday, splinted her foot & leg, and told her she needs an
Monday morning I was trying to open my stuck garage door and killed my back. It popped so hard I thought I broke it. I still can barely walk or bend
over or sleep.
Orthopedic doctor called at 4pm and wanted us across the state of Kansas 8 hours away from me in Colorado by 8am Tuesday. Not gonna happen… so I
spent all day Tuesday calling doctors and leaving messages on machines. Finally one called back and we got a Wednesday afternoon appt.
I travelled after work to her house 2 hours away in Kansas. We left for Hays Kansas on Wednesday morning 2 1/2 hours away. They determined surgery is
necessary to put in a plate and screws, and then go back in a few weeks later to remove it all. Surgery scheduled for Friday. They sent us for blood
work and a COVID test elsewhere.
Drove to the blood test place, and as soon as we went inside golf ball size hail started and the tornado sirens started blaring…. this literally
went on for 45 minutes because the storm was hardly moving. My perfect little car got a good beating.
We then had only 15 minutes to get to the COVID testing site. The hail let up and we decided to make a run for it. As soon as we got to the sad
little beat up car, to tornado siren started blaring again. They closed and locked up behind us so we had no choice but to go.
About a mile down the road it started raining and hailing so hard we could hardly see in front of the car. We watched for a place to take shelter
along the way, but no luck, so we kept going.
We finally got to the COVID testing site and pulled up under the brick awning hooked on to the building. The glass doors were locked and nobody in
sight. We sat there in the car with the storm still raging. After about 20 minutes things let up and they came out of the tornado shelter and came out
to do the COVID test.
We then drove back to her house 2 1/2 hours away. The next day, we drove 2 1/2 hrs back to Hays and got a hotel to be there for surgery, and settled
in because neither of us can really walk to go and do anything.
About 8pm they called and cancelled surgery. She tested positive for COVID, even thought he has no symptoms. They refused to retest her, and will call
us and reschedule for the week of the7th. No COVID test required.
So, the next morning I drove her 2 1/2 hours back home, ran her errands and picked up supples and groceries, and drove myself home 2 hrs away.
With the insurance deductible, gas, hotel, meals, groceries and supplies, and all the little other incidentals, this trip cost me about $1000 and we
got nothing accomplished. And now I can’t go back to work until I get tested, my pretty little car is beat up, my back was killing me the whole
time, she is still in just a splint, and we are wondering what good surgery will do when she is 3 weeks into healing.
So, that was my crappy week. I hope yours was better….
edit on 30-5-2021 by tinker9917 because: Edit