It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA’s Curiosity Rover Captures Shining Clouds on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   
With Perseverance rover and its pet helicopter currently stealing all of the Martian limelight Curiosity Rover has been biding her time watching the clouds roll in over Mount Sharp.

The fine, rippling structures of these clouds are easier to see with images from Curiosity’s black-and-white navigation cameras.

But it’s the color images from the rover’s Mast Camera, or Mastcam, that really shine – literally. Viewed just after sunset, their ice crystals catch the fading light, causing them to appear to glow against the darkening sky. These twilight clouds, also known as “noctilucent” (Latin for “night shining”) clouds, grow brighter as they fill with crystals, then darken after the Sun’s position in the sky drops below their altitude. This is just one useful clue scientists use to determine how high they are.

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Who needs a helicopter when you've got clouds !

posted on May, 29 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Mars is such a tease.

posted on May, 29 2021 @ 07:15 PM
link   

About that drone..

Who needs a helicopter when you've got clouds !

www.theverge.com...

Excellent pics Gortex!🤗
Thanks for posting

posted on May, 29 2021 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Mars is such a tease.

Or a big scam, like the moon landings.

How come we can get good footage of clouds on Mars but no footage of earth from the moon?

NASA is bogus and sucks.

posted on May, 29 2021 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

How come we can get good footage of clouds on Mars but no footage of earth from the moon?

Courtesy of the Japanese space program .

NASA is bogus and sucks.

edit on 29-5-2021 by gortex because: better video

posted on May, 29 2021 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Courtesy of the Japanese space program .

NASA is bogus and sucks.

It’s a pretty animation, thanks Gortex.

However I may have to refine my gripe.

As the same side of the moon constantly faces the earth, why hasn’t a camera been situated on the lunar surface in a position where a live stream feed can be relayed to the earths surface and made available to it’s inhabitants.

Surely this concept could be advantageous to earthlings by displaying global weather in real time and made financially viable through subscription or by advertising placed in the borders of the feed.

Clarification and gripe itch scratched.

posted on May, 29 2021 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax

Mars is such a tease.

NASA is bogus and sucks.

Umm, there isn't a rover on the moon?

posted on May, 29 2021 @ 09:38 PM
link   

We have satellites orbiting the earth to monitor weather. Much closer, easier to insert and much more reliable.

It would be cool to have a live streaming camera for sure, but doesn’t really achieve anything though, certainly won’t appease the nasa haters and whatever it is they hate/think is fake.

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

We have satellites orbiting the earth to monitor weather. Much closer, easier to insert and much more reliable.

It would be cool to have a live streaming camera for sure, but doesn’t really achieve anything though, certainly won’t appease the nasa haters and whatever it is they hate/think is fake.

It would shut the flat earthers up.

I think hater is to strong a term for the feeling, more an intense distrust.

Your partially correct about satellites, I think a global view of the weather would be neat. Especially with Aurora’s and the activity above storms.

Also if the fixed camera ever fell to earth there would be considerably more cause for alarm then a satellite reentering the atmosphere!

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Mars is such a tease.

NASA is bogus and sucks.

Umm, there isn't a rover on the moon?

I know. Weird huh?

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 10:39 AM
link   

No it wouldn't. They'd just claim it's an animation, or fake, and keep going on about how we can't get into space.

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
This is just one useful clue scientists use to determine how high they are.

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing gortex.

A bit more information on noctilucent clouds. I wasn't familiar with their name or the phenomenon behind them, but I have seen them before.

The picture of the "mother of pearl" clouds from the linked article are really great to look at, with some hints of other colors mixed in.

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

No it wouldn't. They'd just claim it's an animation, or fake, and keep going on about how we can't get into space.

I guess your right, the ones I know throw logic to the wind chasing fantasy

They are a beautiful display of nature sleeper has awakened and I totally agree, thank you Gortex

for sharing a wonderful fruit of our endeavours in the space
edit on 30-5-2021 by Dalamax because:

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I guess your right, the ones I know throw logic to the wind chasing fantasy

They are a beautiful display of nature sleeper has awakened and I totally agree, thank you Gortex

for sharing a wonderful fruit of our endeavours in the space

This thread got me thinking about the atmospheric conditions that permit cloud formation on Mars.

My understanding is it's a) a very very dry place in terms of H20 b) has an extremely thin atmosphere.

Could it be possible the clouds we see are not formed by water vapor but some other chemical process (Titan's clouds are formed from methane IIUC due to low temperatures below 0 celsius)?

Are these the only types of clouds present on Mars?

Has The Weather Channel started a segment on Martian forecasting yet?

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

Here' an explanation for the clouds as we think we know it.

Although resembling an extremely dry desert, planet Mars hosts clouds in its atmosphere. Every day somewhere on the planet a part of the tiny amount of water vapor held by the atmosphere can condense as ice crystals to form mainly cirrus-type clouds. The existence of water ice clouds has been known for a long time and they have been studied for decades, leading to the establishment of a well-known climatology and understanding on their formation and properties. Despite their thinness, they have a clear impact on the atmospheric temperatures, thus affecting the Martian climate.

Another, more exotic type of clouds forms as well on Mars. The atmospheric temperatures can plunge to such frigid values that the major gaseous component of the atmosphere, CO2, condenses as ice crystals. These clouds form in the cold polar night where they also contribute to the formation of the CO2 ice polar cap, and also in the mesosphere at very high altitudes, near the edge of space, analogously to the noctilucent clouds on Earth. The mesospheric clouds, discovered in the early 2000s, have put our understanding of the Martian atmosphere to a test.

On Mars, cloud crystals form on ice nuclei, mostly provided by the omnipresent mineral dust. Thus, the clouds link the three major climatic cycles: those of the two major volatiles, H2O and CO2, and that of dust, which is a major climatic agent itself.
oxfordre.com...

posted on May, 30 2021 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Great info, thanks!

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 05:02 AM
link   

As the same side of the moon constantly faces the earth, why hasn’t a camera been situated on the lunar surface in a position where a live stream feed can be relayed to the earths surface and made available to it’s inhabitants.

Probably due to the bandwidth such a camera would require for something that would be of little interest to most , the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter would have to relay the live feed back to Earth taking resources away from its science functions.

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Thanks, Gortex.

Stuff like this reminds me how much more we need to study Mars (Life Signatures Etc).

posted on May, 31 2021 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Evidence is meaningless to those who reject evidence.

new topics

top topics

join