It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Discovery that Revealed Ancient Humans Navigated the Seas 130,000 Years Ago

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: generik

For example, pyramids, they’re a distinctive shape, so they stand out in ones mind, and they’re also relatively simple to build.

Jeez, you're such a cynic!

Yes, pyramids are a distinctive shape.

But first you have to see the shape.

And yes, they could be copies of mountains, but not every continent has a conical shaped mountain to copy. And why not cones? Or rectangular blocks? Cubes? Nope. They're all pyramids. Strange, ain't it?

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Wow! Sea fairing Neanderthals. Just imagine the ones that already left the planet.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Ancient man could have seen a hollow log floating down a river and jumped on. Technically they are now in a boat. And seeing wind ripple water push material against the current. Don't need evidence of an actual sailing vessel to figure out man has been in the "yachting" club for a long long time.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: generik
where does one find pyramids for example? not just Egypt, but all over the world. is it coincidence that everyone seems to have built pyramids?

How many different kinds of large structures can people build by stacking large stones, and in order to gain any kind of height, wouldn't they pretty much all taper toward the top?

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: 19Bones79

Not really.

The ability to traverse the sea may be ahead of what we’ve assumed, but the tools aren’t.

Stone tools are what they found.

So, if advanced life was cyclical in the history of our planet, are you implying that the stone age wouldn't ever be a part of that cycle before?

We don't only need to find advanced technology as it relates to our definition in order for there to be supporting evidence of cyclical rise and falls of human (or human-like) civilizations in the past. A 118,000-year jump in the timeline seems to indicate a bit more than, "Oh, well, maybe they could travel seas earlier than we assumed." This has the potential to rewrite what we know, not just add on to fit what we think we know.
edit on 27-5-2021 by SlapMonkey because: I needed to expand a little.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Every ancient man discovery like this continues to blow away the Neanderthal evolution timelines. Keep them coming.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The odd thing, really, is the mindset you would need to head out on a raft or canoe into the Mediterranean from anywhere without knowing that you would find land. It is sort of against human nature and quite suicidal, which for early humans would have been somewhat against their instincts for survival.

You just don’t set off on a raft across an ocean which can be quite stormy on a whim, and a number would have to do so in order to create a viable colony.

Obviously it happened and just as obviously those that made it to Crete were in no way ‘advanced’. Crazy when you actually think about it. It would be a bit like us setting off in a starship without knowing if there was anything out there.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Thanks for sharing this...I love this stuff! Every time that we're reminded that we don't know everything is a win in my book.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I think we're the 3rd or maybe even 4th civilization that's been here on Earth. I think humans walked with dinosaurs millions of years ago and wiped out with the dinos.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: that1lurker
Wow very interesting. I'd also like to know who they think might have been sailing. I just read an article on evidence of 100k old "human" activity but who knows who it may have been. I believe our true history is still unknown and kept hidden. I often wonder how advanced humans were before Earth got reset.
edit on 27-5-2021

Same here. There's no telling what's been destroyed thousands of millennia ago that we'll never know about. What's really buried below the land that's buried miles below the ice in sub-zero extreme environment in Antarctica? All the big dunes in the scorching hot desert? So many questions, so little knowledge. extra DIV

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Every ancient man discovery like this continues to blow away the Neanderthal evolution timelines. Keep them coming.

Agreed. At this point, there are likely human progenitors we haven't even found yet that could have existed for tens of thousands of years. And finding their remains or artifacts after 150,000 years is going to be tough, particularly if they tended to do as we do, which is live on the edges of rivers, lakes and oceans.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I found the last part of the article very interesting:

What is particularly interesting, is that the style of the tools closely resembles artifacts from the stone technology known as Acheulean, which originated with pre-human populations in Africa. For decades, the standard hypothesis has been that Acheulean toolmakers reached Europe and Asia via the Middle East, passing mainly through what is now Turkey into the Balkans. The findings in Crete raise the possibility that human migration was not confined to land routes and may have included expansion from Africa across the Strait of Gibraltar to Spain, or from Libya to Crete – a stretch of approximately 200 miles (320 km).

Definitely lends credence to seafaring elsewhere globally. And makes the South American/African trade claims that much more likely (I already think it was very possible, at least between Brazil/West Africa)

Zechariah Sitchin ('The Lost Realms') postulates this.
says the famous basalt heads were patterned after native Africans.
(not to drift topic)

I can see primitive rafts of fishers breaking loose and drifting. easy in some places; Crete might have just been a few miles. rafters lost on the ocean, not so lucky

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ARM1968
The odd thing, really, is the mindset you would need to head out on a raft or canoe into the Mediterranean from anywhere without knowing that you would find land. It is sort of against human nature and quite suicidal, which for early humans would have been somewhat against their instincts for survival.

You just don’t set off on a raft across an ocean which can be quite stormy on a whim, and a number would have to do so in order to create a viable colony.

Obviously it happened and just as obviously those that made it to Crete were in no way ‘advanced’. Crazy when you actually think about it. It would be a bit like us setting off in a starship without knowing if there was anything out there.

They likely had a good assumption seeing plant debris washing up that looked unfamiliar. Also migration of birds.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
At this point, there are likely human progenitors we haven't even found yet that could have existed for tens of thousands of years. And finding their remains or artifacts after 150,000 years is going to be tough, particularly if they tended to do as we do, which is live on the edges of rivers, lakes and oceans.

Dude, we've FOUND "human progenitors" more than twice that old.
www.nationalgeographic.com...

If you accept what are the REAL human progenitors, we've found those going back millions of years.

Harte

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I think we're the 3rd or maybe even 4th civilization that's been here on Earth. I think humans walked with dinosaurs millions of years ago and wiped out with the dinos.

I believe we are on the 4th cycle.

I do not believe that we walked with the dinosaurs.

We were brought here after that time.

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Doesn't surprise me at all.

When you see the same architecture all around the world, if you're not asking "how?," you're not a real scientist.

We'll sit there and say the Polynesians were able to navigate the entire Pacific Ocean, but we'll ignore the chain of islands between Russia and Alaska and claim people could have only come to America from an "ice bridge." Complete bull#, and completely illogical.

Ancient cultures could pinpoint their position on the planet using the stars... using nothing more than a Celtic Cross.

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Crete has been an Island for an estimated 5 million years so unless there were some amazing swimmers 130,000 years ago...

Land Bridge? Sea levels could have been much lower back then. There have been 5 Ice Ages in the last 400,000 years. If it was during one of those Ice Ages, they may have been able to just walk there if Sea Levels were 300-400 feet lower.

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 07:49 PM
link   

IMO evolution is very limited, and it's not what we are being told it is. Otherwise, why did evolution stop? Monkeys, and apes have existed for millions of years. Have we seen any new version of neanderthals, or other humanoids "evolving" as evolution claims?

As far as I know. There isn't, and there haven't been any new humanoids to have come out because of evolution. So why did evolution stop? Yes, it takes millions of years for a species to supposedly evolve, but time hasn't stopped at all, and apes and other mammals, reptilians, etc have existed for a very long time. Millions of years if not longer.

Heck, what about reptilians? Reptilians have existed for millions of years. Crocs, sharks and even other fishes and animals, are modern day dinosaurs yet there hasn't been any reptilian or shark humanoids that have evolved.

The only logical solution for evolution not having created any new humanoids, or reptilian humanoid, shark humanoids, and no apes having become new neanderthal is that either an alien race is the one that made the changes/experiments that made homo sapient and other humanoids, or God created us all. Either way, the only logical solution is that a higher intelligence is the real cause for humanoids having evolved.

According to the Vedas mankind has existed as we are for millions of years. The Vedas also talk about a monkey humanoid race which existed alongside humans, which I am thinking is either neanderthals, or some other former humanoids that no longer exist.

edit on 28-5-2021 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Actually "Navigated the Seas" is a stretch. It's more like island-hopped or took land bridges.

Looks like the sea level may have been 20 to 50 meters lower.

That source seems to sensationalize and take liberties a bit.

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

Like Dogger Littoral / Doggerland. An ancient land bridge that connected England and France. At the time the water level was 390 ft lower than it is now. I have read about many land bridges that existed around the world at that time. I also lean towards the thought that ancient humans traveled the oceans in whatever way it was possible for them at the time. After all we are a species that seeks knowledge. We like to explore and investigate the unknown. For me there is so much written on the subject that it is hard to commit to any one idea. I am interested in what is plausible. Thanks for posting this interesting subject matter 727Sky. It is one of my favorite subjects.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3 >>

join