It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Angeles Pays $2600 per Tent at Homeless Camp Raising Eyebrows And Questions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 09:53 PM
link   
So LA's had a new program in an attempt to curb it's spiraling homeless situation. In April the city opened an official homeless encampment with room for 70 tents in 12x12 plots. The people living in this encampment are also provided food, water, 24 hour security and showers.

The cost of this program has been causing controversy however. The encampment has been costing approximately $2663 per tent per month. At 70 tents this means the encampment's been costing around $186,410 per month of taxpayer money.

Some of the critics of the program have pointed out the cost per tent is actually higher than rent for a typical 1 bedroom apartment in the city and the program's effectiveness is questionable.

The program is intended to coincide with a new bill that will ban outdoor camping anywhere in the city outside these encampments. At the end of the year the encampment will be removed and replaced with an affordable housing block.

www.npr.org...

In Los Angeles, city officials grappling with an ongoing homelessness crisis have turned to an idea that for decades was politically unpopular and considered radical: a government-funded tent encampment.

Other cities, including San Francisco, Seattle and Tampa, Fla., have opened similar programs in recent years. But the high public cost of LA's first sanctioned campground — more than $2,600 per tent, per month — has advocates worried it will come at the expense of more permanent housing.

The campsite opened in late April on a fenced-in parking lot beside the 101 freeway in East Hollywood. The lot-turned-campground can accommodate up to about 70 tents in 12-by-12-foot spots marked by white squares painted on the asphalt.

On a recent afternoon, the site was nearly full. A row of port-a-potties stood along one side of the camp. The program also provides showers, three meals a day and 24-hour security. Campers get entered into the county's database for matching unhoused people with social services and housing resources.

According to a report by the city administrative officer, the new East Hollywood campground costs approximately $2,663 per participant per month. That's higher than what a typical one-bedroom apartment rents for in the city, according to the website RentCafe.

City Controller Ron Galperin, LA's primary budget watchdog, says that while the East Hollywood camping pilot is expensive, "doing nothing also costs a lot of money."

Still, the program isn't meant to last. Technically a pilot program, it's scheduled to wind down by the end of the year. That's when the parking lot is scheduled to become a construction site for a new affordable housing project.

I mean what can you really say other than what a complete waste of money. I mean, i guess it's California so you can't really expect much else from them. I'm not sure what they expect to accomplish by this other than wasting a ridiculous amount of money but anyway.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Meh bleeding liberal hearts I suppose. I kinda get the logic, however Los Angeles, is a hot mess at the moment, so is San Fran. It’s a shame I lived in la many moons ago, Venice beach had to be one of the coolest majestic, places I had ever been. Seeing YouTube vids nowadays it looks like a shanty town. Tough times for California, politicians not like they can send in the national guard and force these homeless people out, there are thousands if not Tens of thousands homeless people on the streets in LA. With news like this more are to come. Read a similar story many homeless people are attracted to states like Colorado, and Cali, since weed is legal, so there is that.

Funny I was just talking about this topic earlier with a buddy.
edit on 26-5-2021 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I can't agree that its a "complete waist of money" society does have some obligation to care for the most vulnerable among us. How much obligation is up for debt.

What this story is better apt to demonstrate is the complete incompetence of our governments.

$2663 per month for a tent, food and some water?

I spend just a little more than that for a 4 bed room house, water and food and a security system in area with a high cost of living....

... how is it that our governments are s so incompetent that they allow themselves to be so utterly gifted like that? The only explanation is they are taking money off the top.

Time for the pitchforks and torches.

Maybe if we took care of our political class we would have a lot more to use to care for our lower class.
edit on 26-5-2021 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Well, building eight by twelve mini-cabins right now is out of the question. You could probably buy all the homeless old used SUVS to live in for the price of the lumber to build them. How many people could they fit in cars in a parking lot, remember, they just need to have doors that lock, they don't even need to run. They could be cars with blown engines or transmissions...or in California, cars that do not pass emissions tests. Some portapotties and a shower area in the area and an area where someone can cook, an old parking lot of a defunct business that had food that covid killed would be a good place to start. A SUV is better than a tent, a matress in the back of an explorer or blazer is fine.

+2 more 
posted on May, 26 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Homelessness in California is multi-billion dollar industry. No one wants to track the money spent because everyone, except the homeless, benefits so long as no one really knows.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Homelessness in California is multi-billion dollar industry. No one wants to track the money spent because everyone, except the homeless, benefits so long as no one really knows.

Its stories like these that remind me why I dislike liberal politicians; if they really cared about the less fortunate they would stop robbing them blind.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Right here in the 14th District of Georgia we have a huge homeless issue. It began with the closing of our state hospital, and this spiraling now. There are no houses to buy or rent in our district. People are selling their houses out from under their renters for two and three times what they're worth. These are the houses that are available. 50thousand dollar houses for 250 thousand. Whole families homeless even though they paid rent on time. First they try to get storage, none, no reasonable hotel's. It is a mess. Campgrounds are packed. Our county has held 2 meetings so far and no answers...

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MayRenee
Right here in the 14th District of Georgia we have a huge homeless issue. It began with the closing of our state hospital, and this spiraling now. There are no houses to buy or rent in our district. People are selling their houses out from under their renters for two and three times what they're worth. These are the houses that are available. 50thousand dollar houses for 250 thousand. Whole families homeless even though they paid rent on time. First they try to get storage, none, no reasonable hotel's. It is a mess. Campgrounds are packed. Our county has held 2 meetings so far and no answers...

Back in the sixties and seventies, necessities were cheap. Electricity, water, sewer, taxes, Heat for the house, and phone service were very reasonable.The wants were expensive for people, but now since there are not a lot of factories employing moocho workers who paid in high taxes, everything necessary to live is expensive. To survive we must bring back jobs to America where the workers pay taxes on their living wages.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88
The math really doesn’t work. And just giving them food and tents isn’t doing anything to solve the problem. For the majority homelessness isn’t a choice. Many just need a leg up or a chance. Or for someone to give a damn. I’ve worked with the homeless as a volunteer for many years. We’ve been able to help many regain a normal life by helping them find jobs and housing. One gentleman we helped had been on the streets for over ten years. Never staying anywhere long. We helped him find a job at a local factory and got him set up in section 8 housing. He now has his own apartment, a car, and is taking online classes for business. He just needed a hand getting started. Society turns the backs on these people forgetting that they are in fact people.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 03:35 AM
link   
That's $186,410

I know everything's expensive in California, but that's crazy. Is the city getting ripped off by the people/companies providing the services? Are they renting the tents and getting overcharged, and paying ridiculous rental fees for the port-a-potties...

I wonder just how much of that money is going to the Staff.

or maybe the city is also paying a good chunk of money to themselves for the necessary permits required to allow this encampment...

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Critics have pointed out at the cost of approximately $2663 per tent per month , the cost per tent is actually higher than rent for an apartment ...

Perhaps Mad Maxine's relatives own the tent company

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 07:52 AM
link   
It would be cheaper for the city to buy this town and move the homeless there.

www.youtube.com...

it's a complete town that was closed when the local iron mine closed and has been locked up ever since.

33°51"15.05' N 115°28"59.77' W

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 07:59 AM
link   

$186,410?

And thats still a lot less than trump spent on golf

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Trump will never be homeless so long as he lives rent free in so many minds...

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 08:21 AM
link   

It's California. In my opinion, they should use state funded tax payer dollars to build enough tall skyscrapers to house every homeless and impoverished person in the state. If they could do that, they could flatten every crime infested neighborhood, rebuild into normal neighborhoods, and if they succeeded in that, they could change their leadership and make California a state that everyone would like to visit at least once in their life, again, like it was in the 80's.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

As a LOSER! LOL

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles
I know everything's expensive in California, but that's crazy. Is the city getting ripped off by the people/companies providing the services? Are they renting the tents and getting overcharged, and paying ridiculous rental fees for the port-a-potties...

I wonder just how much of that money is going to the Staff.

or maybe the city is also paying a good chunk of money to themselves for the necessary permits required to allow this encampment...

How about the people making the money from this are making contributions to the officials voting for this in the first place?

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MayRenee

Sounds like people are paying big money to live in that district. Whoever leads that district must have some balls to make good changes. I don't see it as a bad thing. You're lucky to be there.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 08:59 AM
link   
in reply to the cost :

According to a report by the city administrative officer, the new East Hollywood campground costs approximately $2,663 per participant per month. That's higher than what a typical one-bedroom apartment rents for in the city, according to the website RentCafe.

let's examine the 'approved' Costs !

the durn, money grubber, City Bureaucrats-Legislature that 'provide' the services to the "temporary" Displaced/Homeless,,,

the costs of the food/ toilets/ security/ showers/ police/ social workers, sanitation crews/ power-electric,water.disinfectants, butt wipes, snacks, schooling, first-aid stations & personnel... etc etc
.... are All padded or handed out to friends or entities with 'pull', jacked up costs are 150% of normal price...
everyone somehow profits from the crisis except the taxpayers (is the Formula)

that my OP-ED view

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
It would be cheaper for the city to buy this town and move the homeless there.

www.youtube.com...

it's a complete town that was closed when the local iron mine closed and has been locked up ever since.

33°51"15.05' N 115°28"59.77' W

Nice, I didn't see the video yet, but I zoomed into the town using your coordinates. If these people can live out of a tent, they could certainly live out of an old abandoned house. I wonder how many homeless live there already.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join