It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Son, Ghostwriter Of Late Senator Say Trump Intervened To Stop Probe Of Patriots' Spygate Scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 07:37 PM
link   
ESPN

It's really long and is really quite interesting. I'd say this is a political conspiracy as trying to bribe a Senator to drop an investigation is kinda a conspiracy.

IN OCTOBER 2017, an ESPN reporter visited the University of Pittsburgh's Archives & Special Collections, housed in a five-story brick building in a neighborhood of warehouses and auto repair shops. For two days, the reporter sifted through Sen. Arlen Specter's letters, speeches, memos, notes and calendars, accumulated across a half-century career in public life, searching for evidence identifying the friend who had offered cash if the senator would shut down his pesky Spygate inquiry.

Two autumns earlier, the reporter had received a tip about the mutual friend's name. At the time, the man had just launched an outside and underdog campaign for president. But the tip was hard to confirm. Among Specter's papers, the reporter found a few clues but nothing conclusive. Before and after the visit to Pittsburgh, the reporter made more than a dozen calls to confidants of Specter, who died in October 2012 of complications from non-Hodgkin lymphoma, but had failed to turn up anything definitive. Another ESPN reporter visited Washington, D.C., meeting with Specter's former staffers at fashionable Beltway gossip venues BLT Steak and Off the Record. Nothing conclusive turned up.

But recently and unexpectedly, there's been movement in the quest. Follow-up conversations with the people closest to Arlen Specter -- his oldest son, Shanin, a Philadelphia personal injury and medical malpractice attorney, and Charles Robbins, Specter's trusted longtime communications aide and the ghostwriter of two Specter memoirs -- revealed this: The man who dangled campaign cash if Specter were to drop the Spygate inquiry was none other than Donald J. Trump.

Not only that: Trump had told Specter he was acting on behalf of Robert Kraft.

That evening, during a three-hour conversation inside the dark-hued den of Specter's Georgetown condo, the senator was in an expansive mood, discussing what he had considered his noble crusade for fairness in professional sports. For two decades, Specter was a frequent, loud critic of the NFL. It galled him that franchises extorted cities for new, mostly publicly financed stadiums. More than once, Specter had threatened to file legislation that would revoke the NFL's invaluable antitrust exemption. "This is part of Arlen Specter's thesis that the NFL owns America," Specter told Robbins that night, according to a transcript of their conversation. "They're addicted to pro football in a way they have never been addicted to baseball. Or heroin."

There's a lot to digest but Trump always wanted to be an NFL owner and they never let him in so he goes on to do Kraft's bribery scheme? Of course, at the time he "was a real estate hustler and a TV personality." I'm not surprised he got involved in this as he wants to hang out with winners and the Pat's certainly did plenty of that. It was the only way he could get close to the game that had shut him out.

A fun read. I wonder what you guys will think of it. It doesn't clear up whether this was illegal or not. Apparently, this is just how things are done but I really don't know. I know little of what really goes on there in D.C.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Arlen Specter ?
Arlen Specter ?
Surely this thread is in jest .

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 07:43 PM
link   
LOL ESPN......................
Bill Belichick Hates Trump. So why would Trump help him?
edit on 26-5-2021 by inosomthingudontno because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: inosomthingudontno

Who says Belichick hates Trump?

Anyway I don’t think it even matters one way or the other because the NFL fined Belichick $500,000, the team $250,000 and a 1st round draft pick...they certainly didn’t get off easy.
Specter had a hard on for the NFL, he didn’t like football or something.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 08:31 PM
link   
So all they have is someone's recollection from 6 years ago of a conversation they were not actually there for ...

More anti Trump BS.

I will have to go and measure this story with my BS meter.

P

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Can't we just move on from Trump and focus on what the current potus is doing?

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Spygate was basically the NFL looking for ways to hurt the Pats because they won every year. The Patriots actually didn't even do anything wrong and stuck to the letter of the rule. It was against the rules to tape and use the tape for the game, the Patriots never did that.

Article 9.1 (C) (14) of the Constitution and Bylaws of the NFL No member shall: "Use at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which a club is a participant, any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game.”

Article 19 Section 19.21 discusses how film needs to be shared. So if you can't film, why do they have a section discussing how to film? Goodell admitted the Patriots were not aided during the playing of a game.

The Jets actually were caught doing the same thing, with no punishment, because no one actually cared.

So the TLDR:; There was a rule about filming, the Patriots followed the rule. Other teams were doing the exact same thing, no one cared. The league can do whatever they want, so they punished the Pats for following the rule because every owner supported it due to the fact they couldn't beat the Pats.

Kind of a huge nothingburger, like this story.
edit on 26-5-2021 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Arlen Specter was an American lawyer, author and politician who served as a United States Senator from Pennsylvania from Text1981 to 2011. Specter was a Democrat from 1951 to 1965, then a Republican from 1965 until 2009, when he switched back to the Democratic Party. First elected in 1980, he is the longest-serving senator from Pennsylvania, having represented the state for 30 years.
Wikipedia

Long before Trump's presidency and statute of limitations have expired.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Anyway I don’t think it even matters one way or the other because the NFL fined Belichick $500,000, the team $250,000 and a 1st round draft pick...they certainly didn’t get off easy.

Belichick...

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Belichick...

You got proof of that?
Because he turned the freedom medal down? LOL
Pressured by the deranged Leftist cult after the fake “insurrection” is all.
I would have taken the medal and said directly into the camera....”Suck it Leftists”
Kraft, Belichick and Brady were all Trump supporters.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Most NFL owners are Freemasons and knights of Malta....or both. Many games are rigged so nothing being said here is outside any possibility. a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

But it needs to be investigated because you know, "just in case" or if you prefer, it's the that it might have happened, it's the accusation that's most important.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Trump is a golden god! Surely not Trump!

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Trump has admitted to greasing the palms of politicians and has even bragged on it. That is how he knows who is corrupt and who is legit. They hate him for that. Stealing the santa theme from them shame on Trump. Whatever this hearsay is from remembering however long ago since it was not against the rules but all about trying to get Patriots boo hoo I hated them too but the Packers beat in the Greatest SuperBowl I have ever witnessed.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 04:58 AM
link   
They are addicted to Trump in a way they have never been addicted to Biden. Or heroin.

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 06:24 AM
link   
La reply to: tamusan

Some people said Trump did something? I think that's impeachment level evidence; when should I expect one?

posted on May, 27 2021 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Just when you thought ESPN had already hit rock bottom.

new topics

top topics

join