It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago City Council Committee today to rename Lake Shore Drive to Jean Baptiste Point DuSable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 11:45 AM
link   
lol

Today the Chicago City Council Committee is poised to rename the world famous and practical Lake Shore Drive name to Jean Baptiste Point DuSable at a cost of $2.5million.

To honor Chicago’s first permanent non-native settler, a Black man named Jean Baptiste Point DuSable.

Barring an eleventh-hour parliamentary maneuver, the Chicago City Council is poised Wednesday to rename Outer Lake Shore Drive in honor of Jean Baptiste Point DuSable at a cost pegged at $2.5 million.

Ald. David Moore (17th), the Council’s champion for DuSable Drive, said Tuesday Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s administration tried to block the ordinance with an alternative he views as having “racial overtones” — renaming the Dan Ryan Expressway in honor of Chicago first permanent, non-indigenous settler.

Lightfoot has also offered to complete DuSable Park, create an exhibit honoring DuSable at the “most traveled part” of the downtown Riverwalk and rename the entire Riverwalk in honor of DuSable.

“We were offered to rename the Dan Ryan. …. Keep it on the South Side. South of like 35th Street. Let’s be honest: Keep it in the Black community,” Moore told the Sun-Times.

“Those are racial overtones and ones that we have to move beyond in this city. We’re better than that.”

Moore refused to name the person who made the offer to rename the Dan Ryan. “I’ll just say the [Lightfoot] administration and leave it at that.”

chicago.suntimes.com...

edit on 26-5-2021 by Imhere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Kinda strikes me pretty poignantly here -- you gotta be one hell of an empty dead-end life person from an empty, dead end life to see any kind of self-validity in pressuring for this much relentlessly stupid #. Race-washing something with a new name is still race-washing.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Pffffff Chicago, the pride of of the Democratic Party

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Imhere

Apparently, the city of Chicago couldn't use the 2.5 million to curb the increasing gun violence, but they can make new signs.

People are so stupid.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

They could have made some signs against gun violence, changes about the same.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

lolz

"Gun Free Zone" signs.

lolz

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Apparently, the city of Chicago couldn't use the 2.5 million to curb the increasing gun violence, but they can make new signs.

People are so stupid.

Chicago Black Lives Matter (NOT).

31% of the population. 88% of those shot.

Jean B.P. du Sable en.wikipedia.org... would not want his name associated with Chicago today.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 12:22 PM
link   

This. It's not as if there is a crime epidemic in Chicago, statistically making it comparable to the level of casualties seen in active war zones.

If we are being completely honest with ourselves, we already know it isn't going to cost $2.5 mil for this boondoggle. It is an opportunity to further division in the name of unity while skimming a nice stack of taxpayers dollars for bribes, kickbacks, and state contracts with preferred contractors.

Just more race baiting chicanery and scammery from the loons.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 12:33 PM
link   
As a lifelong Chicagoan, trust me when I say no local is going to actually call it that. It will always be Lake Shore Drive. And it's still the "Sears Tower" not the Willis Tower, the "Amoco Building" not the Aon Building, and "Comiskey Park", not Guaranteed Rate Field.

True Chicagoans are traditionalists at heart!
edit on 26-5-2021 by Subsonic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Yes and if it doesn't work, just make it law!

Damn! I could save up a lot of money and time if I had just put "Burglar Free Zone" stickers on my door. Since locks can be used to lockup people (it's even in the word!). Locking up people is bad. Therefor jails are bad too.

Therefor, we non criminals are bad, and sort of racist too. Those who demand their right to posses, are actually right-wing (it's even in the word!) and dangerous self-thinkers. Egoistic people that think for themselves and not let others think for them.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Chicago is a gun free zone. Shouldn't be any gun violence.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Contractors and advisers having a field day bidding 🤣🤣🤣🤣

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Nice... All of this for a guy they think is black but also a guy who only wanted to be with Native Americans and wanted to be a Chief. Oh well, just another political pandering fail in one of America's Third World Cities.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

People are so stupid.

Yep, you nailed it...

Not my style of music, but certainly my style of message...

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subsonic
As a lifelong Chicagoan, trust me when I say no local is going to actually call it that. It will always be Lake Shore Drive. And it's still the "Sears Tower" not the Willis Tower, the "Amoco Building" not the Aon Building, and "Comiskey Park", not Guaranteed Rate Field.

Same. Chicagoan here as well.

What’s funny is Lake Shore Drive is a universal name. Why change it?

When people think driving down the Lake shore... they’re going to think driving down Lake Shore Drive...

As we know, there’s many streets named in honor of many people. Name changing this is stupid. Especially at an expense of $2.5mil+ when that can be used in other areas that’s in desperate need right now.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imhere

When people think driving down the Lake shore... they’re going to think driving down Lake Shore Drive...

As we know, there’s many streets named in honor of many people. Name changing this is stupid. Especially at an expense of $2.5mil+ when that can be used in other areas that’s in desperate need right now.

OMG, dramatic! What's more important than changing the name of a street to someone who you think is black but had nothing to do with blacks? Like, UGH, seriously????

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: Imhere

OMG, dramatic! What's more important than changing the name of a street to someone who you think is black but had nothing to do with blacks? Like, UGH, seriously????

There’s no going back now. If you dispute the name change now in any way, ...you know what that will automatically mean...
edit on 26-5-2021 by Imhere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   

edit on 26-5-2021 by Imhere because: double post

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This is just virtue signaling. Accomplishes nothing.

Liberal politicians at their finest.

I love Chicago... it would probably be the greatest city in the country if it weren't for the Democrat politicians who run it.

Lake Shore Drive is one of the most famous roads in the world. Why anyone would want to rename it is beyond idiotic. There are already museums and other things honoring DuSable all around the city.

posted on May, 26 2021 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018
Every one on ATS should know Tom macdonald. All his videos have comments saying they're like 60 and don't like rap but like him.
The man.
Tom macdonald. Look him up.

top topics

join