It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-mask wearers are smarter than mask wearers, concludes MIT study.

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

That's the problem with things like this, for most people it's really a minor inconvenience, while for a few it's a real life and death problem.

originally posted by: TheRedneck

I could easily become comatose from wearing one of the things.

Those who cannot for health reasons wear a mask are not required to. Why is that a problem?

it is also akin to saying "You're diseased! How dare you breathe in my presence?"

Only if you're prone to histrionics or paranoid delusion.

It's unwise to call people stupid for taking a simple precaution to protect the health and wellbeing of others simply because you yourself either cannot or will not.

edit on 3-6-2021 by EvilAxis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Demanding I wear a face mask is not only dangerous for me, but it is also akin to saying "You're diseased! How dare you breathe in my presence?"

When you say that agree with "face masks have become the new version of an "I'm stupid!" sign." aren't you acting in the same way, considering everyone that wears a mask as an idiot just because you see them with a mask?

The problem is in the generalisation and assuming everyone is the same. When someone assumes that a person not wearing a mask is being a menace to others they are acting in the same way as someone that doesn't wear a mask (for whatever reason) assumes all mask wearers are doing it just because they were told and are not thinking for themselves.

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: EvilAxis

Those who cannot for health reasons wear a mask are not required to. Why is that a problem?

You just illustrated the problem quite clearly. In your first post on the subject, you felt that everyone should wear a mask. Regardless. You gave no qualifiers about medical condition. Only after someone mentioned the medical consequences some experience with mask wearing did you change that position.

Now multiply that by 6 billion.

During the height of this circus of paranoia, I was denied access to my bank, I was refused auto repair, and I was even refused hospital access to have blood drawn... it was drawn sitting in my car in the parking lot, not once, but twice. Why? Because people were so paranoid about a disease that has a 99+% survival rate, only slightly less survivable than the annual influenza virus. At the same time, those who were at the highest risk of dying form this virus were deliberately infected by the very people who were also demanding that others take such draconian measures (I'm talking to you, Andrew Cuomo!). And somehow, people like you have accepted, no, embraced all this. You have, through your blind acceptance of the official story line, effectively isolated those in society who are in greatest need of the benefits of society.

I am terrified of even going to the hospital! Either someone will stick a mask on me and potentially kill me that way, or any operation I need will be done in a parking lot! Gee, I hope it isn't raining/snowing/storming that day.

And I'm paranoid?

"Heeeeeeeere's your sign."

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   

It's unwise to call people stupid for taking a simple precaution to protect the health and wellbeing of others simply because you yourself either cannot or will not.

From another thread

Study Finds Face Masks Didn’t Slow Spread Of Covid-19

truepundit.com...

What were cheap and home made masks going to do.....

Better link

Study Finds Face Masks Didn’t Slow Spread Of Covid-19
By Ashe Schow
May 27, 2021 DailyWire.c

www.dailywire.com...

edit on 3-6-2021 by neutronflux because: Added better link

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I guess from the start, the USA government should have errored on the side of precaution and treated covid as an engineered biological agent?

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

The problem is in the generalisation and assuming everyone is the same. When someone assumes that a person not wearing a mask is being a menace to others they are acting in the same way as someone that doesn't wear a mask (for whatever reason) assumes all mask wearers are doing it just because they were told and are not thinking for themselves.

The problem is that one action begets the other. When this mask nonsense started, I was fine with people wearing face masks if they wanted to. I thought it was kinda silly, but then again live and let live. No hide off my back, as the saying goes.

The problem is that those supporting the masks didn't want to live and let live. It became live and demand others do as you demand.

I'm just not big on letting others demand things from me that I am unwilling or unable to give. When that happens, the only reasonable course of action becomes that of fighting fire with fire. If others can generalize about me, I can generalize about them. Any other response is, in this case, a medical disaster for me. There are several businesses in town that I will likely never visit again... because I now realize that they have no actual interest in doing their job; their interest is in demanding others do as they insist.

I also make it a point to frequent those businesses which either never really enforced the mask mandate strongly, or at least those who were not adamant about it.

That, unlike this virus scare, will last a lifetime. These people chose a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If that isn't stupid, then I don't know what is. Perhaps... no, it is actually likely, that I am wrongly classifying some people based on a generalization; I realize that. But it's just a fact of life that if one acts like stupid people act, one will be assumed to be stupid.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 11:48 AM
link   

The problem is that those supporting the masks didn't want to live and let live. It became live and demand others do as you demand.

Some of those supporting the masks.

I'm just not big on letting others demand things from me that I am unwilling or unable to give. When that happens, the only reasonable course of action becomes that of fighting fire with fire. If others can generalize about me, I can generalize about them.

So, if someone wearing a mask is unfair to you your reaction is to everyone wearing a mask the same way, not caring about being unfair yourself?

I thought you were better than that, but I suppose I was wrong.

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 11:59 AM
link   

You just illustrated the problem quite clearly. In your first post on the subject, you felt that everyone should wear a mask. Regardless.

Please quote me. I've never thought or said that.

I am terrified of even going to the hospital! Either someone will stick a mask on me and potentially kill me that way, or any operation I need will be done in a parking lot!

And I'm paranoid?

I'm not a doctor, but on the basis of that statement, you do sound a bit delusional. The virus is no problem, but the masks are coming to get you...

a reply to: neutronflux

Did you read the paper True Pundit thinks is a rebuttal of the numerous peer-reviewed studies demonstrating the efficacy of masks?

Did you notice it's not peer reviewed?

This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

Did you notice that the paper's conclusion was that mask mandates are ineffective when people do not comply with them. The author said, “the findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection.”

Another instance of anti-mask misappropriation of science, as described in the MIT paper, which the OP of this thread misappropriated.

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Honestly this makes me laugh so hard. If you can see the Georgia rednecks you are trying to say are smarter than a mask wearer oh, LOL!!! Jesus Christ most of them don't even graduate Elementary School. a reply to: IndieA

edit on 3-6-2021 by MayRenee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MayRenee

At least they are more honest and have more integrity than Fauci.

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Being successful or not at school is not a guarantee of intelligence or lack of it.

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

That's one of the reasons why I consider face masks as such a mark of unintelligence

Really? not like you good sir!

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Some of those supporting the masks.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

So, if someone wearing a mask is unfair to you your reaction is to everyone wearing a mask the same way, not caring about being unfair yourself?

I thought you were better than that, but I suppose I was wrong.

I am human. We're not talking about one or two people out of 1000. We're talking about a significant portion of those wearing masks who decided, in this area anyway, that everyone must wear a mask or else. We even had a mask mandate, illegal by any standard because the Governor does not make laws, but it still went into effect. Yes, it had an exemption for those medically unable to wear a mask, but in reality the hysteria made far, far too many people ignore that part.

If you want to fault me for perceptions forced upon me by society, feel free. But to be honest, I thought you were better than that.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Oh, please, don't start playing the semantics game. Your posts have consistently stated that everyone should wear a mask, and your acceptance of medical contra-indicators was not voiced until I called you on it.

If your previous posts did not accurately convey your position, that's on you. Just like the above correction to my post that was pointed out to me by Armap was on me. I graciously accepted the correction. Can you do the same?

I'm not a doctor, but on the basis of that statement, you do sound a bit delusional. The virus is no problem, but the masks are coming to get you...

So far I have changed my life in absolutely no way. I still go to town as much as I ever did. I still shop where I choose to shop (the few places that have refused me entry notwithstanding), and I still social distance the same as I ever did... never did like being too close to people anyway. Most of them have a "stupid" virus in my experience and I don't want to catch it. I have had zero ill effects from the Chinese virus. I did at one point have a nagging fever that simply did not want to go completely away... was that the virus? Maybe, maybe not. I do know that I have been fighting off colds and flus all my life, some severe, some mild, most in between... and they tend to affect me far less than anyone else. I have yet to have one take me down. My immunity is strong.

On the other hand, the one time I attempted to comply with the silly mask mandate, I wound up on the floor unable to stand.

Now, what about that makes me "delusional"?

I just got back form seeing my doctor. He doesn't think the masks are that necessary, and he is an MD. He also has a degree in physics. Very smart man. And yet, I have never seen him don a face mask... ever. I'm sure he would if there were reasonable cause.

Incidentally, he again today repeated that I should not get the vaccine. Just thought I would throw that out there.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 05:04 PM
link   

If you can see the Georgia rednecks you are trying to say are smarter than a mask wearer oh, LOL!!! Jesus Christ most of them don't even graduate Elementary School.

• AAS, Computer Information Systems, NACC, Magna Cum Laude
  • AS, Advanced Mathematics, NACC, Magna Cum Laude
  • BSEE, Electrical Engineering, UAH, Magna Cum Laude with additional honors
  • MSEE, Control Theory/Communications, UAH (Thesis still incomplete due to medical issues), GPA 3.9
Thank you proving that proponents of face mask use really are dumber than those they are calling dumb.

Heeeeere's your sign.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvilAxis

Oh, please, don't start playing the semantics game. Your posts have consistently stated that everyone should wear a mask, and your acceptance of medical contra-indicators was not voiced until I called you on it.

I have never said (or implied, or believed) that, which is why I asked you to quote me. I did say (a month ago):

originally posted by: EvilAxis

In the UK, if you have a genuine medical reason, you're not required to wear a mask, nor are you required to carry proof of this. Claustrophobia would be covered by the exemption for those with, "Mental health conditions such as anxiety or panic disorders".

Your doctor never wears a mask, doesn’t believe they're necessary and tells you not to get a vaccine. OK. There are lots of doctors in my family but, unimaginatively, they adhere to clinical practice guidelines, not ill-informed opinions.

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

If you want to fault me for perceptions forced upon me by society, feel free. But to be honest, I thought you were better than that.

I just wanted you to see that you are not being fair to people that you accuse of being stupid just because they have a different opinion.

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I have never said (or implied, or believed) that, which is why I asked you to quote me. I did say...

Whether the implication was intentional or not, it came through to me.

As to your previous statement, that was a month ago. I don't keep up with who said what when except in threads I participate in. I can't; this is a big site. Thus, in light of your previous post, I accept that your intent was different from the insinuation I got from your posts in this thread.

Far, far, far too many do not care about medical exemptions, however. And it is causing some serious problems to those with medical conditions.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 06:56 PM
link   
If I was to label people with low IQ I would need to put both the extremes of "I will never wear a mask no matter WHAT!" group with the group that wears one alone in a car and during sex...Both are barely hitting 80...

posted on Jun, 3 2021 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I just wanted you to see that you are not being fair to people that you accuse of being stupid just because they have a different opinion.

I realize that. Life, however, is not fair.

For example, I have a full beard. Many people are afraid of those with full beards; they are frequently depicted in the movies as the "bad guy" and to be honest, there are plenty of actual "bad guys" in real life who sport a full beard. It's intimidating to many... which is actually one reason I wear it; it intimidates troublemakers and they tend to leave me be.

Not to mention that after so many years it would require a bushhog and three sets of blades to cut this thing off.

Now, knowing what I know about the perceptions some have, I have a choice to make. I know that many will see me (unfairly) as a troublemaker. I can try and ignore that, which would do no good for anyone... or I can get angry over my "unfair" treatment, which would actually serve to reinforce the stereotype, or I can go out of my way a little to ensure that anyone I meet who seems concerned is treated well and politely. That last choice allows me to break the stereotype.

Let's apply that to the use of a face mask, shall we?

I'm going to assume for the moment that you wear face masks regularly. So now, in this thread, you have seen where some who also share that characteristic are harming others and creating a bad reputation for everyone sharing that characteristic. Now, you can ignore it, which would do no good for anyone... you can become angry about the "unfairness" of it all, maybe try to shame me, which will reinforce the stereotype farther... or you could recognize that there is a problem and speak out against it, proving to those who feel wronged that you are not among their enemies, even though you wear a mask regularly.

So, Armap... what's your choice?

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join