It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice on Kitchen Knives Please

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Calling all professional and amateur chefs...as well as people who generally know their way around a kitchen and all cooking tools utilized within.

I am wanting to buy Mrs. TAT a set of top quality kitchen knives.

She loves to cook...cooks extremely well, in fact,...and prefers top quality in all things cooking related.
I, on the other hand, know nothing of these matters.

So, I know we have much culinary talent here...and I humbly ask for recommendations as to a very good set/brand of knives I might purchase for her.
For years she has been using a crappy set of Cuisinart knives...which she really dislikes.

Again, I humbly ask...are there any brands people here might recommend?

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

edit on 24-5-2021 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I look forward to the recommendations, as well. My wife and I have been using the same crappy set for 15 years and have been looking to upgrade.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

There are many good brands out there, it depends on how much you want to spend. I bought a set of these and they are worth every penny.

kutaraknives.com... organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjwna2FBhDPARIsACAEc_Xa72FfgwmcOCTZHtUjEiNkeWQrp06U_w5OOWuHGW8eb-76OX111wAaApRnEALw_wcB

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I've been using Wusthof for years. There are some excellent starter sets with blocks that are a good buy. I like the construction and ergonomics and unless you jump up to the specialty cutlery that goes for $500 plus a knife they are one of the better brands along with Henckels.

Just make sure to have them sharpened regularly.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
Beautiful set.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I knew you'd have a suggestion.
I'll definitely want to get her a nice block for them as well.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I've been using Wusthof for years. There are some excellent starter sets with blocks that are a good buy. I like the construction and ergonomics and unless you jump up to the specialty cutlery that goes for $500 plus a knife they are one of the better brands along with Henckels.

Just make sure to have them sharpened regularly.

Are you speaking of the Zwilling J.A. Henckels?

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 03:51 PM
link   

She certainly won't need as many as I have to start but an 8" chef's knife, carving knife and fork, serrated bread knife, tomato/salami knife and a paring knife are good start. Also add a pair of kitchen shears.

You may want a set of their steak knives since they're great and they have slots in the block for them.

edit on 24-5-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Are you speaking of the Zwilling J.A. Henckels?

Yes, but I prefer the Wusthof.

Either way those are good mid/higher brands to use. Unless you're a serious home cook the hand-forged cutlery is more show than go.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 03:54 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

They sell killer knives too, highly recommend, plus the owner is a hoot to watch.

edit on 24-5-2021 by RussianSpy because: couldn't figure out how to embed a video

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

My wife bought me that exact set for Christmas.
I love those damn things

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Unless you just want to spend more, go with the Henckels. They have always been excellent.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

She certainly won't need as many as I have to start but an 8" chef's knife, carving knife and fork, serrated bread knife, tomato/salami knife and a paring knife are good start. Also add a pair of kitchen shears.

She actually just told me she has a pair of the Wusthof kitchen shears.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I use Cutco knives. Lifetime guarantee. If they get damaged or even dull just send them in (you pay shipping) and they will replace or sharpen them for you. For life.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Wusthof. They hold an edge very well, much better than the Chicago Cutlery set they replaced.
edit on 5/24/2021 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 04:49 PM
link   

She's liking the Wusthof 'Classic Icon' style...rather than the 'Gourmet' style (which seems to have less glowing reviews).
Is there that much difference beyond price?
Unfortunately, she's loving the $1300, 16 pc., off-white, set.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 04:52 PM
link   

It's more of an ergonomic thing. Have her go to the store and hold them to see which feel better.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Good thought.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 05:06 PM
link   
*Wanting to get in on a high-end discussion on knives but doesn't have a clue*

"Yeah, I, uhhh. . . I once cut myself pretty bad, umm. . .I'll just stand over here now. . .

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
*Wanting to get in on a high-end discussion on knives but doesn't have a clue*

"Yeah, I, uhhh. . . I once cut myself pretty bad, umm. . .I'll just stand over here now. . .

Quality is also of concern to me.

When the forensics team find me face down on the kitchen floor with a butcher's knife in my back...I, at least, want the coroner to say: "Shame what happened to this fine figure of a man...but, damn...that's one helluva nice knife".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join