It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone heard of the "Wedge of Aiud?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2021 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This happened in Transylvania they were digging a construction site back in the seventies and unearthed some Mastadon bones at thirty feet down. alongside the bones was a metal object made from primarily Aliminium and copper, the only problem is, it's obviously a manufactured item. I thought it was worth posting as the best guess was it might be aircraft landing gear. This might upset Harte!

posted on May, 23 2021 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Would be nice to see more tests done on this material. Like Isotopic ratios. Would the isotopic ratios in all the elements found in this piece match terrestrial elements? Can't know this without those tests being done in a world class lab.

+24 more 
posted on May, 23 2021 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Who uses aluminum on excavator buckets? No one does.

I have operated several bulldozers and different earth moving rigs and none of them use aluminum.

High carbon steel.

posted on May, 23 2021 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

I can see civilization as cyclical. The invention of the wheel then the crank then a piston to push it. Then the spark plug. The design might be different from various distant peoples but the concept has to remain the same for function. The leisure created allows people the time to enquire and innovate. Same as Carts they are just a machine to amplify effort. Then as more and more efficiency is required the machines have to have some form of AI, then humans are no longer required then back to the starting grid for whatever reason as the society becomes more and more complex and is just waiting for one essential ingredient to drop out of the equation.

+1 more 
posted on May, 23 2021 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

I have operated several bulldozers and different earth moving rigs and none of them use aluminum.

High carbon steel.

Exactly right.

posted on May, 23 2021 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

They also weld the tips with Stellite just to make sure they last.

posted on May, 23 2021 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

True but wasn't there a Belt buckle made from aluminum found in a Chinese general's tomb. Not to mention the chromium found on the swords from the buried army.
None of the modern excavator tips for sale on Ali Baba look anything like it.www.alibaba.com... vLV2s&s=p

edit on 23-5-2021 by anonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I googled excavator bucket teeth, got this. EXCAVATOR BUCKET TEETH

Excavator Bucket Teeth In order to discuss what bucket teeth are made of, it is important to understand that there are two ways of manufacturing bucket teeth: casting and forging. Cast bucket teeth may be made of a low alloy steel with nickel and molybdenum as the primary alloying elements. Molybdenum improves the hardenability and strength of the steel and can also help minimize some forms of pitting corrosion. Nickel increases strength, toughness, and also helps prevent corrosion.
They may also be made from an austempered ductile iron that has undergone heat treatment for wear and impact strength. Forged bucket teeth are also made from a heat-treated alloy steel, but the type of steel varies with manufacturer. The heat treatment improves wear properties and increases impact strength.

Theres a start if someone wants to follow up. I gotta get ready for work, ugh.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

High carbon steel.
Your knowledge of excavator equipment does not represent the sum of human knowledge on the topic.

If you had read the links you would find that aluminum excavator teeth are available even if you haven't personally used them. It's mentioned in the first link. One purpose for aluminum is in potentially flammable environments where it's less likely to create sparks.

Debunking Wedge of Aiud and other random aluminum from the past. Part 1

Aluminum (as well as Brass, Stainless Steel, Iron, Zinc Alloy or Polyurethane) EBT can be purchased on-line from Global Sources in China, complete with a 30 day delivery schedule. They are used to reduce the risk of explosion and fire when digging in volatile environments - such as coal mines, swamps, land fills or around inflammable gases or vapours. And while the total number of volatile environments in Romania cannot be estimated - coal mining itself has been going on in Romania for some time.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Anti-sparking bucket teeth. Yeah, that is a good argument.
Although brass is usually used for such things. This item did have copper in it though, which is also used for anti spark properties in aluminum.

It's still unknown when it was made and why it was found where it was found. Big anomalies. Also would settle a lot of "whats" to know if the elements in this item match terrestrial isotopic ratios.

It would also be nice to know if the list of elements in this alloy have anything at all in common with current manufacturers of bucket teeth and could be matched to any of them.
Something tells me that the elements and ratios of them in this alloyed artifact are not going to match any known product line anywhere. Which could mean it was manufactured long before the modern age of industry.
edit on 24-5-2021 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed
Add: Others were faster, sorry for redundance.

I thought this too but then one of Arbitrageur's links, the author discovered that they are used in explosion prone operations.

From the 1. link

The first question, the most important question, must be asked: is this alloy found on earth? And what are its characteristics? The primary three elements of the Wedge are Aluminum, Copper, Silicon (Al-Cu-Si) and while alloys of Aluminum are myriad, Al-Cu-Si alloys are the most popular in use for casting where high strength is required. Bismuth, lead and cadmium are added to increase machinability.

This alloy is clearly part of the 2000 series of Aluminum, where copper adds higher strength, and silicon increases toughness and imparts increased integrity to the casting process where complex parts are involved. When heat-treated, this alloy can exceed the toughness of mild steel. Interestingly though, manufacturers note that the most common applications for the 2000 series Aluminum alloys are aerospace, military vehicles and rocket fins.

Copper in aluminum alloy tends to segregate to grain boundaries, causing local galvanic potentials and increased pitting. In other words, Al-Cu-Si tends to have the lowest corrosion resistance of any Aluminum alloy - meaning that the layer of corrosion may not give an accurate estimate of age.

Could explain the corrosion layer's thickness.

From a mechanical viewpoint, most animations that use these as landing gear, are structural nonsense. The pin they show and how the force is sent into it, it would snap up so in the way it's conceived, it's not useful.

I think lost excavator bucket with the knowledge they are used in coal mines and other sensitive areas, with the added strength and corrosion, that's three flags for me, knowing there was an excavator at the site, four flags.

Maybe someone mounted a wrong one that was different, it was laying around so it would have time to corrode and then someone botched it onto the excavator spoon(?), it was dog's dinner then.
edit on 24.5.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 03:09 AM
link   

So you are suggesting a soft metal like aluminium is what they make bucket teeth with
You know aluminium is to soft for digging, low melting point

Ok

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Off you pop and prove him wrong then.

Shouldnt take more than a few minutes.

Im not being facetious, he's put up links with evidence im sure you can do the same. Its an interesting one so lets see some evidence

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Yeah then there’s all the OOPARTs to explain away, and the out right frauds to fit a certain point of you. Read Bill Bryson’s a brief history of everything. It’s a really good eye opening read.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

Im not being facetious, he's put up links with evidence im sure you can do the same. Its an interesting one so lets see some evidence

Yes my apologies I didn’t see his links after my message

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

So you are suggesting a soft metal like aluminium is what they make bucket teeth with
You know aluminium is to soft for digging, low melting point

Ok

No, he's not suggesting it, he proved it.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

Yes my apologies I didn’t see his links after my message

Star for being a bigger man than most here.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Read more...OOPARTS.COM

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join