It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something weird is happening with Jobs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: olaru12

Govt is doing that as well, and we in fact have a current investigation because someone posted internal email to social media because they apparently didnt like the tone of it.

Gotta expect every major company to go through social media with a fine tooth comb in todays climate.

People need to be very careful in their rants on social media and ATS is social media. It's a brave new world whether they want to acknowledge it or not. We don't even know who the new ATS owner is...you might not even want to know!!

Inquiring minds want to know what you consider a "social media rant" worthy of disqualification for a prospective employee.

No offense compadre, but .... I have my suspicions not all "rants" you dig up on social media are judged on even footing. Be honest; do you equally discard resumes from either those that like posts mentioning "Q" or mentioning "Antifah"?? My intuition tells me, no, that is not the case, which would be pretty lame, were it to be true.

Let me tell you how my interviews for tech workers (actual part of my job description) goes down. We evaluate their C.V., prep some collection of questions commensurate for the role their interviewing for, a mixture of tech related and "soft"/S.T.A.R. role playing scenarios to screen for cultural fit.

Wanna know what we do with their social media footprint?

NOTHING.

Why? We are testing for aptitude and not biasing our picks based on political persuasion, at least I abstain from that practice, and the folks I interview with do. If I ever found out that one of my colleagues rejected an applicant for their "left" or "right" views I would not say anything to management but would make sure I don't interview with that co-worker again.

99 to 5 "9th" % of applicants I've ever come across are smart enough to not "play their hand" in their private views and get picked off as a soft target for those that seem to have a h@rd on for culling out folks that disagree with them.

My motto is "Test 'em ALL equally and let HR sort 'em out"

At least where we are, HR is trained to evaluate things like social media profiles, and what they don't evaluate, e.g. personal employment history and legal record, is outsourced to actual pros that conduct background checks. That's their actual job you know: to actually make judgement calls on Joe or Jane Sixpack based on what they've DONE or NOT DONE in their lifetime, not what's written on their Facebook profile.

You have much formal training in that biz? I sure hope so if you are making judgement calls in this arena.

It takes a lot of integrity to hold someone's employment opportunity in one's hand and make a fair, rational and unbiased assessment and not let emotions get involved. I don't ever look up anyone's LinkedIn or Facebook (I don't even have a F.B. account to begin with) prior to interviewing, I don't want those data points. People are entitled to their personal opinions outside the workplace as long as they don't break any laws or disrupt the office, and if they do, they will be terminated quickly and replaced. As mentioned, there are actual pro background screeners to do this work.

It takes a very objective person to weigh someone's livelihood in their hands and resist hitting the rejection button on frivolous crap unrelated to the job description.

IDK I sleep pretty good at night knowing I don't F someone over for a job role due to a their political opinions. How's your conscience?

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

That's interesting about the unemployment ending in September.
I'm in UK and our furlough and SEISS schemes to 'help out' over the 'pandemic' also end in September.
Can't say I understand or know anything about your unemployment benefits/schemes, just found the September part interesting.

rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Govt is doing that as well, and we in fact have a current investigation because someone posted internal email to social media because they apparently didnt like the tone of it.

Gotta expect every major company to go through social media with a fine tooth comb in todays climate.

People need to be very careful in their rants on social media and ATS is social media. It's a brave new world whether they want to acknowledge it or not. We don't even know who the new ATS owner is...you might not even want to know!!

Like pro Trump, pro rights, anti abortion is a deal killer?

And BLM riots, Pro Biden , pro injections, pro mind control, pro green new deal- Oh your hired, can you start right now?

We dont want those jobs anyway. Thanks

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Randyvine
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Folks always want respect without ever working for it....sad.

Multiple personality disorder? Is that what your therapist calls it?
Or is that what they all decided to call it now days?

At any rate it's something we all do whether or not you're aware
of it. I was only able to find a source that covers two but I
assure you I've read there are three.

Your personality may also differ according to your surroundings. We tend to mimic the behavior of those we spend time with in order to fit in. If your work environment is at odds with your true personality or differs greatly from your home environment, you may find the need to alter your personality in order to fit in better.

Source

I don't disagree that people should be held accountable
for work place behavior either. So do you want to be ridiculous
or do you want to have a discussion and hear me out?

I have a singular personality...as I would assume most people do. I am exactly the same here as I am in real life. My clients know me and my personality and continue to work with me. My friends do the same. I am no different to anyone, except my kids, to anyome else.

If you are an adult you can handle truth and being upfront. If you are not then you can expect very hard lessons.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Sometimes I'm tasked by the director/producer/UPM to help with auditions and hiring the cast/talent. I look at every applicants facebook, twitter, tictok, instagram, snapchat accounts to see what they are really like. Quick way to ferret out the riff raff; saves a lot of time. I think most HR people are doing the same; they should anyway. Your online presence is serious and matters. I often pass over qualified applicants because of their online persona. If you act stupid online, don't even apply.

That is really jacked up when you think about the
different personalities human beings exhibit. You do
realize people naturally have three different personalities
right? You know one for work one for home and then one
with friends or recreation. So unless you find out the persons
completely rotten. That's a pretty #ty way to judge some one.
What a f#$ked up world we live in.

How is that f'ed up? If you suck ass at your job and just jump around from whatever company to the next a few times per year then I would definitely want to know before I hired a crap employee.

Folks should be held accountable for their pasts...multiple personality disorder or not....

Maybe folks are just tired of working for crap businesses ?

Let's flip you post around, just for fun :

( Quote altered by me ) :
' ... If you suck ass at being a good business, and just jump around from whatever employee to the next, a few times per year : then I would definitely want to know before I worked for a crap business.

Businesses should be held accountable for their pasts...sociopathic personality disorder or not....

Businesses always want respect without ever working for it....sad. '

Hmmmmm... : interesting...

Some folks consider Human Beings to more important than businesses.
Some businesses consider their business to be more important than Humans.

Some folks consider business as more important than people.
Never got that...

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
My high school daughter has been looking for work and almost all of the part-time jobs in our town require at least 18 years of age. I don't remember it ever being like that before. There were plenty of jobs for 16 yrs in up when I was in high school.

I started working at 13....in Atlanta. My oldest is 14 and works...has a checking account and a investment account. It is the responsible thing to do to teach your kids how to manage money.....make it work for them.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Sometimes I'm tasked by the director/producer/UPM to help with auditions and hiring the cast/talent. I look at every applicants facebook, twitter, tictok, instagram, snapchat accounts to see what they are really like. Quick way to ferret out the riff raff; saves a lot of time. I think most HR people are doing the same; they should anyway. Your online presence is serious and matters. I often pass over qualified applicants because of their online persona. If you act stupid online, don't even apply.

That is really jacked up when you think about the
different personalities human beings exhibit. You do
realize people naturally have three different personalities
right? You know one for work one for home and then one
with friends or recreation. So unless you find out the persons
completely rotten. That's a pretty #ty way to judge some one.
What a f#$ked up world we live in.

How is that f'ed up? If you suck ass at your job and just jump around from whatever company to the next a few times per year then I would definitely want to know before I hired a crap employee.

Folks should be held accountable for their pasts...multiple personality disorder or not....

Maybe folks are just tired of working for crap businesses ?

Let's flip you post around, just for fun :

( Quote altered by me ) :
' ... If you suck ass at being a good business, and just jump around from whatever employee to the next, a few times per year : then I would definitely want to know before I worked for a crap business.

Businesses should be held accountable for their pasts...sociopathic personality disorder or not....

Businesses always want respect without ever working for it....sad. '

Hmmmmm... : interesting...

Some folks consider Human Beings to more important than businesses.
Some businesses consider their business to be more important than Humans.

Some folks consider business as more important than people.
Never got that...

Well the problem with your flip is exactly what I was pointing out.

These folks choose where they apply....if you are too smart or too dumb to work there then the business doesn't hire you.

Do you think people should just give others what they worked hard for?

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Do you think it's cool my 14 year old is working legally in my state and paying for people 2,3,4 times her age to live for free?

Blows my mind....people just want handouts these days.

Proud of my kids....hopefully they don't have the same cynical outlook as me.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 10:32 PM
link   
There is something happening. It's weird. I think it's like a snowball effect. I just quit a low paying job in the service industry because of lack of staffing. There's only so much of other people's slack that I'm willing to pull. I was there for the last 3 years but now I'm over it.

Meanwhile, I start my new, much better paying job in June. It's a work from home thing, at least for now.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Doesn't an environment where there are more jobs than employees, mean both people and businesses are doing well ?
( Not counting the strangeness other folks have discussed about todays work/job environment. )

Don't people work hard, to have security, and be able to take care of loved ones ?
Have never seen a hearse driving to the cemetery, towing a safe...

Most people love giving. It makes us feel good.

Am not sure how much taxes or fees a 14 year-old pays, from a part-time job, that goes toward social-assistance programs.

Have you thought about how some of these young folks may also have a type of cynicism ? ( Lacking a better word. )
The kind that come from seeing endless lies, shenanigans, and fakeness, like everywhere ?

Perhaps their parents were part of the working poor ?
Worked all of their lives, only to retire on a fixed-income, with a broken body, a cold apartment, and with skyrocketing food costs ?

Some may find it deflating to work for minimum wage, after hearing about the trillions stashed-away in places like Panama, and the Cayman Islands ?

They know the table is tilted, and that any work worth doing, is worth a living wage.
Most businesses are inherently not honest with their employees : and will try to squeeze every once of productivity out-of them, while paying the least possible in wages.
Regardless if they're making money hand-over-fist, or not.
That doesn't deserve 'respect' in my books : it deserves contempt.

Seems normal to me, that folks are wary of businesses, that only care about the bottom-line.

We have let sociopathic, non human-friendly entities have control over us, and that's our fault, collectively.

People are called 'resources' by these entities, and they use them up until there's nothing good left, just like they do with most resources.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel Regarding employer concern about paying for training. When a company invests in its employees, and for more than the initial position, they tend to be more loyal and the employer may well pay less for training overall than when they have high turnover. Tribal kn knowledge builds, and a good company culture pays many dividends.

As opposed to staff knowing they will be canned at the drop of an algorithm.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I have a singular personality...as I would assume most people do. I am exactly the same here as I am in real life. My clients know me and my personality and continue to work with me. My friends do the same. I am no different to anyone, except my kids, to anyome else.

My post wasn't about you.

If you are an adult you can handle truth and being upfront. If you are not then you can expect very hard lessons.

WTF are you talking about?
edit on 20-5-2021 by Randyvine because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I've hired 4 kids that just graduated High School in 2020 and 2 more that are supposed to start next Monday since they're graduating HS this weekend. We're so desperate for people in our call center dept. and maint dept that simply showing up gets you the job 99% of the time but none of them last a week. I've mentioned multiple times recently how many claim to be interested but won't show up or will roll out within a week. Because of this, we're about to start the CSR's at $15 (starts at $11 currently) and drop half of the crew - drop all slow leaks - and go automated for that dept. We'll just need about 10 to 15 for support calls.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

Inquiring minds want to know what you consider a "social media rant" worthy of disqualification for a prospective employee.

I was creeping the social media of all my potential employees before we got desperate. If I saw support for bLM/antifa, they were an automatic no. If I saw Confederate flags, they were an automatic no. I support the Confederate flag but what it means to me is freedom from tyranny. What it might mean to someone else might be because they're a rowdy redneck and I'd rather not take that risk.

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I interviewed for a company recently. When we were going over my qualifications the interviewer looked like a kid seeing the presents under the Christmas tree. He said they didn’t have anyone with my skill set and that they were in need. Today I got an offer from them... let’s just say it was very very underwhelming. I’d be losing money by accepting their offer. I’m at a loss. They are unable to currently do the work that needs to be done, but are unwilling to pay someone with the skills and experience.

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Sounds like you're offering a pretty good deal! Especially for high school kids. I don't like the social media creeper thing tho. It's too nosey, IMO. Like peering into personal business. I Like the old fashioned way of checking past work experience, calling references etc much better.

The social media credit/work/life score thing is too Orwellian IMO.
edit on 21-5-2021 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Overqualified perhaps.

Just a guess.

maybe they don't want to pay a living wage

if you offer enough, people will want to work for you

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
There is something happening. It's weird. I think it's like a snowball effect. I just quit a low paying job in the service industry because of lack of staffing. There's only so much of other people's slack that I'm willing to pull. I was there for the last 3 years but now I'm over it.

Meanwhile, I start my new, much better paying job in June. It's a work from home thing, at least for now.

did you get on with that Nigerian Price as well? It's a great gig, I just send him $500, and he's going to set me up to make bank. I start in July.

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Something is up.
We've seen numerous places needing workers. Everyone is saying they can't find workers because everyone is
slobbing around on lush unemployment and Covid money. Well, some of that is true.. but...

I'm around a lot of college students, they aren't being hired.
I was shocked when one person in particular did not get a regular big box job that is severely understaffed. She is super smart, friendly, good grades, and excellent work history.
NOPE--- denied.. What!?? We are talking basic looking for bodies types of jobs that pay min wage. Please don't say it's because they are college students because these places have always hired them in the past to beef up summer staff.

What is going on here. Yes my little example is just one, but there are more. I'm hearing oddly similar stories. Something is up.
Are companies saying they can't find workers due to unemployment so they can have a skeleton crew and save a ton of money while
the public has sympathy and doesn't complain???!!!
Is this a way to usher in more automation and replace warm bodies?

All I know is I think more things are being manipulated than we know.

Maybe the hiring manager didn’t agree they were they most qualified. Maybe some form of affirmative action forced them to hire someone less qualified but more deserving?

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

I was creeping the social media of all my potential employees before we got desperate. If I saw support for bLM/antifa, they were an automatic no. If I saw Confederate flags, they were an automatic no. I support the Confederate flag but what it means to me is freedom from tyranny. What it might mean to someone else might be because they're a rowdy redneck and I'd rather not take that risk.

sounds like discrimination on political bias “might be a red neck” pretty classy if you

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join