It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reverse data mined?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Odd question for whatever new owners are in charge....

Is ATS in inundated by "trolls" getting others to do the research for them by being oppo?

I get the feeling some here are doing some deep dives on certain topics but they are being diametrically opposed solely to have that person do the research for the troll who may be on the same side.

Makes me wonder what contact info here can be traced to whom, and why someone bought ATS and hasn't revealed themselves yet.
edit on 5/17/21 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 10:45 PM
link   
While I'm pretty curious as to who bought the site as well. I can understand why they may not want their name made public.

This below is an example made with no fact or knowledge about the ownership of the site:

If the person is a venture capitalist then having anything publicly attached to a Conspiracy Site would hurt their bottom line, as well as any properties that they have vested interest in.

Depending on who bought the site, they may need to stay separate from the "Conspiracy" part of this in order to not hurt their brand. I would normally be there with you about wondering who bought the site, but given that the Big Three vetted the buyer, I'm not as worried about it. You do bring up a good point though, but if that was the case then shouldn't we be seeing threads about unusual topics pop up in attempts to get people to deep dive topics for the owner?

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Easy reply.

Is your name really ‘Vasa Croe’?

I’d presume not. It’s an anonymous site. Obviously, the new owners intentions are to maintain that.

I’d also say we should appreciate that, instead of criticizing it — especially in this day and age.

BTW, I’ve always appreciated your contributions here. Way back when I lurked in the 2000’s. 🍻

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Easy reply.

Is your name really ‘Vasa Croe’?

I’d presume not. It’s an anonymous site. Obviously, the new owners intentions are to maintain that.

I’d also say we should appreciate that, instead of criticizing it — especially in this day and age.

BTW, I’ve always appreciated your contributions here. Way back when I lurked in the 2000’s. 🍻

🤣🤣🤣

It is anon to a point....

Anything posted here is intellectual property of the site....it is part of the T&C's...

If you want to keep IP you have to post it somewhere else before ATS so you can prove it was your thought or idea.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

And I appreciate it...been around for a while.....havent done a deep dive in a bit but am working on some new ones....

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Dude everyone on ATS is either a CIA plant, a Russian troll, or a Chinese shill. All of us, even you.

Also, trump sucks, vaccines are awesome, Biden got 80 million billion votes, corporations love us all, prove me wrong with well researched and documented sources, checked by official approved fact checking sources.

I get your theory, but no, i don't think so. Why? Nothing that shows up on ATS is really all that groundbreaking or even original research 90% of the time.
edit on 17/5/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Dude everyone on ATS is either a CIA plant, a Russian troll, or a Chinese shill. All of us, even you.

Also, trump sucks, vaccines are awesome, Biden got 80 million billion votes, corporations love us all, prove me wrong with well researched and documented sources, checked by official approved fact checking sources.

I get your theory, but no, i don't think so. Why? Nothing that shows up on ATS is really all that groundbreaking or even original research 90% of the time.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Check your pm's. I sent a link you should read through. It explains exactly what your talking about with certain posts on ATS.
edit on 18/5/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Check your pm's. I sent a link you should read through. It explains exactly what your talking about with certain posts on ATS.

I would say that applies here in many cases. ATS has a oddly high number of what I would consider intellectuals. Many people come and go, but there are a couple/few dozen here that stay the same.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Yeah...and that that site i posted to you has known actual evidence of literal FBI agents who were caught out trolling and shilling. Their posts came up in court cases...now...ATS is more mainstream and at times, not as overtly controversial, but subtly controversial. So...if such people who have been proven to exist in court documents exist on other forums, then...well...
edit on 18/5/2021 by dug88 because: Sorry, not trying to be shady or anything, just pretty sure overt links on threads to that place are banned on ATS

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Remember the BEK thread? (Black Eyed Kid?!)

It was in “Short Stories” as a “might have been, at one time” but was put on Ancient Aliens as “fact” (they even show the Short Story page as “proof” of the story!!)

Now, I know that it was “speculative” but that is not the point: republishing material from here is “not cool” at the very least but to call it “fact”?!!??

That should be the trap that stops that practice but money and desperation are strange bedfellows!

But yeah, free research! An example of why I am not as much around….

ETA: #PoisonTheWekl

edit on 18-5-2021 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Am I evil, yes I am

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I'm not quite sure how anybody suffers under that scenario.
Anyone who is enthusiastic enough about a particular viewpoint to "do the research" and offer the results, is also, presumably, enthusiastic enough to welcome the chance to give it more publiciity.
"Oh no. I've been tricked! I've given away all my best arguments to somebody who secretly agrees with me."

edit on 18-5-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

It doesn't need to be "groundbreaking".

This is where I think many of us miss one of the main reasons for data mining. It isn't about revelation of information though I'm sure it's not ignored. It's more about profiling. It isn't hard to build profiles of individuals or groups from their online communications, especially on a conspiracy site that allows the profiler to engage with those being profiled.

Also, fishing for unique perspectives and solutions to old problems has been around for as long as civilization has, and with the advent of the WWW, it has become as much a science as an art form.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The Black Eyed Kids story didn't originate on ATS, it's very first mention was on an old school email newsletter about ghosts published by Brian Bethel, the guy who created the legend.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I wonder WHY the new owners havent revealed themselves yet. I know, I know, it's their site and they can do what they want, when they want. It would be nice to see WHO is pulling all the strings. As far as data, if you signed up before ATS went dark with its Facebook SSO then there would be that data available, but if you sigend up with email address that would probably be all that is visible.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Makes me wonder what contact info here can be traced to whom, and why someone bought ATS and hasn't revealed themselves yet.

Contact info? Only what the users provide by themselves. The minimum amount of info is an email address for the older accounts or a Facebook account (that can be created on purpose just for that).

Facebook is a much better source of information about other people than ATS.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
It is anon to a point....

Anything posted here is intellectual property of the site....it is part of the T&C's...

If you want to keep IP you have to post it somewhere else before ATS so you can prove it was your thought or idea.

Not really, what the Terms and Conditions of Use say is that we "relinquish all exclusive copyrights" of anything we post, there's no change of intellectual property.
If we didn't relinquish that exclusivity anyone could sue ATS for publishing their work without permission, as ATS acts as a kind of publisher, so we need to give ATS the right to publish.

Also, the fact that ATS has those rights, allows ATS to sue anyone that takes the work of an ATS member and posts it without proper attribution (if I'm not mistaken that has almost happened in a couple of cases of sites republishing ATS posts as if they were their work).

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 18/5/2021 by ArMaP because: Mod tags

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I’m all three, a triple plant. Like a fern.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 10:30 PM
link   
nonfat? Look at it more as this being a data mined think tank, off-grid.

Anyone else noticed ATS doesn't pop up on Twitter or searches as much lately.

Methinks the new owners have a ulterior motive.

posted on May, 21 2021 @ 01:42 AM
link   

If you're implying that ATS is being used to "Crowd Source Intelligence gathering", that's an interesting thought. One thing that we all are really good at here is collecting data from multiple sources, and compiling that data into easily read formats in real time. Just look at any of the major events and how the ATS crowd goes to work on both fact-checking the data being reported, as well as problem solving for missing data sets.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join