It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1984 Don Rickles Hosts SNL. Can you imagine this today???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 17 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Mud PIt cuz this is more than comedy, it's a juxtaposition of then and now. His audience is in stitches. Rickles sought to make fun, not of people, but of stereotypes. Ahead of his time, apparently his time has not yet arrived.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Because Don Rickles was a likeable guy, everyone knew he was just kidding when he made fun of people and situations.

I think he used to entertain U.S. troops in Vietnam with Bob Hope.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   

The cast needed a safe space when musk hosted so they might actually die if rickles hosted today

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

He may have, he was certainly of that generation and that crowd that did a lot of entertaining our troops.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I specifically recall a Comedy Central Roast with Ann Coulter as one of the roasters. Of course she got a lot of stuff tossed her way from everyone on the stage but when it came time for her to do her shtick she was funny as hell. The audience however seemed stuck in their ''correctness'' and were not appreciative at all. Sad really, it's comedy.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Dave Chappelle, Bill Burr and others wont do colleges anymore due the the moronic masses that don't get humor.

I remember Don Rickles, Bob Newhart, and Carol Burnett and company...no way they survive today. Hell, I betcha Hee Haw would get an X rating.

BTW....all college kids need this therapy session....

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

He did actually.

in 1944, he enlisted in the United States Navy and served during World War II on the motor torpedo boat tender USS Cyrene as a seaman first class. He was honorably discharged in 1946. Two years later, intending to be a dramatic actor, he studied at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, and then played bit parts on television. Frustrated by a lack of acting work, Rickles began performing comedy in clubs in New York, Miami, and Los Angeles. He became known as an insult comedian when he responded to his hecklers. The audience enjoyed these insults more than his prepared material, so he incorporated them into his act.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Dave Chappelle, Bill Burr and others wont do colleges anymore due the the moronic masses that don't get humor.

I remember Don Rickles, Bob Newhart, and Carol Burnett and company...no way they survive today. Hell, I betcha Hee Haw would get an X rating.

BTW....all college kids need this therapy session....

Yeah, that would not fly nowadays... funny, but people are way too sensitive.

I saw Paul Mooney in college. There is no way he'd get away with what he was saying now. It was kind of controversial then (almost 30 years ago) but the only outrage was one article in the student newspaper about his act. It was funny, but he definitely said some offensive stuff.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Ahead of his time, apparently his time has not yet arrived.

Nah. He was very successful because he fit in perfectly with his time. He made tons of money headlining in Vegas for many years. It's unlikely there will be another time soon when his brand of humor will become popular.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Brilliant. I remember that skit, had us choking around our house that night.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 01:07 PM
link   
That was about the last year that SNL was any good.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   
God I miss those days.
When everyone knew it was just comedy and didn’t get offended.
Bring them back.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I miss comedy, real comedy, is MORE than comedy

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   
That was a great clip. Thanks for sharing. Bonus for seeing Madden in the audience

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   
He got his.
His toy story mr. Potato head was disengendered..

He would have hated that.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 02:03 PM
link   

The good ol days, when we were taught that sticks and stones hurt, not words. And if you were a dude and got caught being in your feelings, you got punched in the arm.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

The good ol days, when we were taught that sticks and stones hurt, not words. And if you were a dude and got caught being in your feelings, you got punched in the arm.

Now now that's toxic!

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I always liked this clip of Arsenio Hall basically telling gay activist to go screw themselves...

Could you imagine a host doing this nowadays to SJWs in their audience?

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

In this life, humans build their own cages physically, mentally, emotionally.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Comedy is best when no one is off limits to the ridicule and jokes. Sadly, comedy diedbecause ‘wokeness’ can’t take a joke.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join