It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SRV - The Best Guitar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 08:24 PM
link   

THIS is Guitar.

And the best that ever was.

RIP SRV.

edit on 16-5-2021 by Hoser793 because: just cuz

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoser793

I went to my local music store and they had one of the original SRV models sitting there. He returned it because it was “too loud” and he didn’t like the pickups. Me, uh, ok! Buy. Lower the pickups so they sound good. Lower the strings, put a larger gauge on, set the intonation (you are in deep when you can do this, while drunk, on a sh#y guitar!! And let’s say that my guitars are not all $1,000 dollar stats!!)

Anyway, I love the thing. And the neck is something that real guitarists are looking for. And Nirvana sounds good on it!!! LOL!!

From a genius!

Saw him live, twice, in nine months before he died.

All guitarists said he kept getting better before he died.

Like Jimi!

The next answer is, who knows?!!

(life by the drop)
edit on 16-5-2021 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Goddamn autocorrect…

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Did you change the bridge? Can make a huge difference.

Badass makes good ones.

edit on 16-5-2021 by Hoser793 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Thanks for posting.

PERFECT for my mood right now.

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Me??

No.

I actually like the sound! It is very Ventures!! LOL! But with a kick in the junk thrown in!

The neck pickup is the bread and butter. And having a midi tube pre-amp to make basic sounds with a few foot pedals for the wah, tube screamer, Marshall overdrive… that how the Voodoo Chile sound is done. And with the right tools, you can also do your best approximation and sound good doing it!

BTW, the lighting rig fell on Stevie’s original (Number One) strat and broke the neck about two weeks before the helicopter crash. He got a signature strat neck from Fender and bolted it on and kept on rocking until the end!

🤘

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Wait a minute! Tube amp? I used to have a Univox amp (head) that was all tubes. ~50 lbs. Worried all the time I would blow one and with digital I was always worried about replacements.

Heard that serious musicians were looking for these for the cleaner tone.

(Kicking myself)

ETA - Forgive me if I'm out of touch. I'm old and played Boston, Kansas, Bad Co., Floyd, back in the day.

edit on 16-5-2021 by Hoser793 because: just cuz

ETA 2 - Boston and Kansas were not destinations - they were kick ass bands. This is for the yung'uns. Check it out.

Or this -

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Electricity was invented for Muddy Waters.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I aint gonna waste this ...

I do like recent ... this rocks, easy bass line, not hard ...

edit on 17-5-2021 by Hoser793 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Is that from his first appearance on Austin City Limits? I remember I was out hunting for arrowheads with my girlfriend the day he died. We got back to her house and I heard the news. It just bummed me out totally. Still does. I still play some of his songs in my band. He was one of the great ones.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 03:33 AM
link   

EXTREME!

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

Nobody felt their music more than SRV. That guitar fused with him.
edit on 5/17/2021 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Good stuff... but I can never get enough of satch. this guy.. just.. blows me away.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Life by the Drop.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Stevie was a phenomenal guitarist!

I have no idea what this guitar sounds like, but it would be cool as a decorative piece.

posted on May, 17 2021 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Right on!!!!

But SRV was doing something that was getting so good it was hard too watch (something had to give).

I have rarely been flat out intimidated by any guitar player but (along with Eric Johnson, Satch, and Mark Knoffler, maybe some blues guys, and on occasion some 80s guitarists, I am fearless). Yet always respectful!

The guitar is good but it still just a hammer. And sometimes you need a screwdriver!!

I am not letting go of it. I beat the crap out of it (Offspring included! And Green Day! And Ramones because I am a punk rocker at heart!) and I love this guitar!!

Heavy as hell. Looks cool. Noisy. But it is what I have…. so I use it!!

One of my better investments from 1994. Also got a flame (FRM) Jaguar the day Kurdt was found (first thing I did… music store run and a tribute to yet another hero of mine…
). The black fat head 70s strat and Explorers round out the “best of TEOT”. But SRV is still special!!!

edit on 18-5-2021 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Phat fingars

posted on May, 18 2021 @ 10:51 AM
link   

SRV was indeed a legend. Saw him several times in the 80s.

First time I heard him, I was at a urinal at the Reading Festival in August 1983. Didn't know who he was, which is why I was taking a leak, but I could hear him opening with Little Wing from where I was standing. Bloke next to me, stoned as a fart, asked me with a straight face if Hendrix was supposed to be playing.

Off the scale every time I saw him.
edit on 18-5-2021 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

top topics

join