It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whitmer. Enbridge. Impending Disaster.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

One cannot make an accurate assessment of the state of US pipelines by focusing solely on length. Strategic importance is much more revealing. I haven't exactly gone through the pipelines mile by mile to assess their individual importance, but it seems to me that these pipelines under attack are primary lines which would have a much higher strategic importance than others. Line 5 and Keystone specifically appear to be quite important and both have been shut down now; Keystone by Biden and now Line 5 by Witless.

I do try to keep an open mind. If you have information that Line 5 is of little to no consequence in supplying oil, please present it. I will consider such information. But until then, it seems to have significant importance in maintaining energy flow.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 19 2021 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

The Keystone pipeline has never flowed an ounce of oil yet, so saying it is shut down is a little bit disingenuous.

Line 5 has a history of problems and it is not shut down at the moment. The issue with 5 is not shutting it down as much as it is about allowing the pre-approved tunnel to be built.

And the Colonial shutdown was due to extremely poor security management. I am honestly shocked it hasn't happened more.

And the I-40 bridge backlog was temporary, and due to poor investment in infrastructure. That pic of the bridge was pretty messed up.....a major bean cracked in two.

My point is that none of these incidents add up to some diabolical, nationwide Democratic ploy to tank the economy or get us back in the midle east. (God knows Boeing, Lockheed and the MIC are well repped there). What it DOES show is that Congress needs to get off its arse and invest in actual infrastructure as opposed to spending a couple million on studying butterfly mating rituals.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Hoo, boy, you really need to keep up.

The Keystone pipeline extension, which is the controversial part of the Keystone pipeline, is not pumping, and has never pumped, anything. That extension doesn't even directly bring oil from Canada to the US; it allows areas in the US (Montana and surrounding areas) to access our own reserves. The refusal to allow completion of the KXL segment means that oil reserves in the United States is going unused.

The Enbridge Line 5 we are discussing is pumping oil, yes... at 50% capacity. The area in question is where it crosses the Great Lakes. That section is two 20" pipes running across the lakebed, one of which has been hit with a tugboat anchor and is shut down. The solution is to bury those lines in the bedrock under the lakes to prevent such accidents from happening in the future (and to secure other utility lines that need to cross in that area)... but Michigan, with Governor Witless at the helm, has decided that they do not want the pipeline buried away from anchors and other such hazards. Her obvious purpose is to ensure that both lines are closed down; it is only a matter of time until another anchor hits the operational line.

I never claimed the Colonial hack was connected... although I recently heard from a software engineer I know who specializes in cybersecurity that after they paid the ransom, the encryption key didn't work so they had to go to backups to reopen. Now, why would they pay the ransom if they had backups to begin with? Something about this story isn't making sense.

The break in the I-40 bridge did not happen overnight. As you say, that is a break, not a crack, but it started as a crack. It's been there for years. Why no one noticed it is somewhat of a mystery. Is it not quite the coincidence that it is discovered now, right after the Colonial situation and just as Witless is trying to completely close Line 5? I think it is.

Joe Biden has also placed a complete moratorium on new drilling on Federal lands, as well as indicated that present drilling operations will be under extreme scrutiny... a politically expedient way to say they will be shut down as soon as they can find a way to invalidate the leases. That's even more oil reserves in the US that cannot be accessed.

Now, you tell me, if we refuse to use our own oil, and if we start restricting access to Canadian oil (you posted a link earlier that showed over half of our oil comes form Canada), where will we get oil? Surely you're not one of those people who think that someone will wave a magic wand and solar plants will suddenly appear that have solved all the technical difficulties? Surely you are not one of those people who think that every fuel station will have a fast charger where their pumps used to be in the space of a weekend?

No, we will continue to require oil to power transportation. If we can't get it from one place, we will be forced to get it from another. If the price goes up for consumers, so be it. People will still pay for fuel to travel to work and home, people will still need to drive to get supplies, those supplies will continue to be trucked in, and the military will not shut itself down. Where does most of the oil on the planet historically come from? The Middle East.

Ever heard of OPEC? They're jumping for joy at these actions.

Ever heard of Russia? Low oil prices globally have kept them from becoming an economic superpower; they have plenty of oil reserves and they are happy to use them... or would be if they could afford the infrastructure. With higher oil prices, they will be able to do just that.

Ever heard of China? They're screaming for oil! They're using the stuff as fast as they can ship it in! I'm sure they will be happy to have a line of tankers running between China and Canada. Hey, if we don't buy Canadian oil, do you really think the Canadians will simply shrug their shoulders and quit selling oil period?

Stop and think about what is happening. We're going back into the Middle East, full force, and the midwest is going to be the catalyst by forcing fuel prices to skyrocket at best, and closing the area down over fuel rationing at worst. One does not need a headline to see that coming.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Keep up with what?
You "Line 5 and Keystone specifically appear to be quite important and both have been shut down now; Keystone by Biden and now Line 5 by Witless."

Keystone is only 8% completed....how could it possibly have a bearing on oil supply today when it is not even being close to being ready to flow oil?? That makes no sense.
Biden shut down funding, sure, but not the oil flowing throught it....cuz they aint none to shut down.

Now keep up here,
The canx of leases was on federal land only. Oil companies still own leases on 13 million acres of land right now. ALL of it unused because they dont need it to keep up with demand. That is 10 years worth of demand just sitting idle.
I will put a link but God knows why....nobody reads em.
www.americanprogress.org...

I have never heard of OPEC or China? Seriously man, that is pretty condescending so I wont even address that emotive nonsense.

Bottom line, supply and demand will continue to be the driver in gas prices, just as they were after the 2008 crash. You do remember that right? When gas hit $4+ in the panhandle? I think prices came back down right? Can someone confirm prices came back down after the 2008 peaks???? Anyone? Buehller?

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 06:04 AM
link   

The Keystone Expansion was shut down by Biden. The oil companies want to access that oil I mentioned, but they will not be able to without a pipeline. Just because the extension was never completed, construction on it can still be shut down.

Line 5 is already down to 50% capacity, and the whole idea of the tunnel was to promote safety and get the thing back to 100%. Witless is doing everything in her power to make that impossible. She is shutting it down because she refuses to allow half of it to be rebuilt and is forcing the remaining pipe to stay in a hazardous location.

One can have mineral rights without having oil. You do know that, right? Oil is not something that just anyone can drill a hole for any where and it just comes gushing out of the ground. Only certain places have oil reserves, and only some of those places are worth getting oil from. As it turns out, most in the US are under Federal lands or offshore, both of which are under attack by Sleepy, Creepy, Demented Uncle Joe "Quid Pro Quo" Biden and those who support him... like Governor Witless.

My mention of China, Russia, OPEC, etc. was to let you know that this is not just about the US oil supply. Oil is traded globally, not just nationally. If global oil prices rise due to a lack of supply, it affects everybody; it benefits those who have oil and hurts those who need oil. Russia has oil; it benefits Russia. OPEC has oil; it benefits OPEC. If the US doesn't have oil, it hurts the US. We then have to pay more for energy, we have to pay more to ship the energy, and we have to protect the suppliers of that energy. That means more US troops in the Middle East.

You can get all butt-hurt if you want; I'm not here to make you feel better. I'm here to interject facts where ignorance runs wild. There have been numerous holds, breakdowns, and shutdowns of oil supply in the US since Biden took office, and they are going to cause a shortage. At some point, something will break down and cause a calamity; it's just a matter of time. When that happens, supply and demand will cause prices to rise. Sure, they'll probably eventually come down... so what? It will still hurt people who rely on fuel to live their lives.

I can go back even farther than 2008. I remember in the late 70s during the Iranian Hostage Crisis, when prices for oil shot up over the unrest in the Middle East. Gasoline went from 25 cents a gallon (that's not a typo: $0.25 per gallon) to over $1.00 a gallon, gas lines that blocked traffic were common, and even when one could manage to get to the pump, they were only allowed to buy a certain amount. That was actually an impetus for companies to begin looking overseas for their factories, and it caused high unemployment and inflation at the same time... and coined a new word: "stagflation," meaning the economy was stagnant (unable to grow) and yet inflation was rampant.

Incidentally, 2008 was when Obama was elected... and he did the same thing Biden is doing. He made it very hard for anyone to obtain oil and refine it. Are you saying you want $4 a gallon gas again? I don't, and yet I expect it to potentially go much higher. How are you going to feel when it hits $10 a gallon? It'll eventually come down, so I assume you will happily pay it, right?

Or maybe you're one of those people who live in a city and have public transportation available... but don't forget, those groceries you buy every week don't come by bus. They come by truck. Trucks use fuel. When fuel costs go up, so do shipping rates. When shipping rates go up, so does the price of everything else. Back in 2008 I was actually still driving a truck. Companies began implementing a "fuel surcharge" that was added to the shipping rate, which was then passed on to the consumer through higher prices.

I for one liked the $2 a gallon gas that energy self-sufficiency brought us. I guess you didn't.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Right. Oil companies gonna spend bank on leases where there is no oil/gas. MMMMkay. I think we both know they are holding onto them so as to not create a glut and crash the market.

And maybe you are a country guy with 12 pickups and SUV's that just drives around for the hell of it wasting gas cuz its cheap. See what I did there? Didn't really advance the argument did it. It looks rather childish in fact.

You obviously forgot, or ignored most likely, the fact I am a country kid who has always had fast cars, that was mentioned early on.

And really, I am done with your preaching now....no links or anything of concrete value, just emotive, self-serving, bloviating.

You Win. See ya.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

A move straight from Robert Mugabe's playbook: The next step is to ensure that people are looking for their next meal. So they don't rebel against tyrants. People who are unaware of the dangers might invite Whitmer to move her state towards resembling Zimbabwe.

posted on May, 20 2021 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Most private leases are based on a percentage. My place is on a 99 year mineral lease. Dad got nothing for it. If oil is taken, then we get a percentage of the value of the oil. So far no one is interested in drilling here... which suits me just fine.

You can look up anything I said very easily. It's not knowledge that has to be ferreted out.

As for you being a country boy, fine. I don't keep track of where everyone is from. But you talk like a city slicker.

No one wins. We all lose. That's the point.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2021 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Planned wake up call. Remove these criminals from power.

posted on May, 22 2021 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I can go back even farther than 2008. I remember in the late 70s during the Iranian Hostage Crisis, when prices for oil shot up over the unrest in the Middle East. Gasoline went from 25 cents a gallon (that's not a typo: $0.25 per gallon) to over $1.00 a gallon, gas lines that blocked traffic were common, and even when one could manage to get to the pump, they were only allowed to buy a certain amount. That was actually an impetus for companies to begin looking overseas for their factories, and it caused high unemployment and inflation at the same time... and coined a new word: "stagflation," meaning the economy was stagnant (unable to grow) and yet inflation was rampant.

You're absolutely right but you've got two oil shortages conflated. It was the one that started in 1973 due to the fallout from the Yom Kippur War that took the price of gas, which had been stable at near $0.25 a gallon for years up to $0.75 a gallon, and rationing of gas at the stations.

I was in college and I worked at the largest truck stop in the US at the time. Diesel was rationed and I had to deal with the angry truck drivers, who did everything from driving off without paying to actual physical assaults on us. We were all given lead-filled tire thumpers to defend ourselves in fact.

The one in 1979 caused by President Carter's deregulation was very similar. There was no actual oil shortage due to the Iran hostage crisis, it was all regulatory games. Iran only impacted 5% of the available oil supply. Carter removed regulations and it about destroyed me. I worked around the oil industry when that happened. The public got angry, gas prices plummeted and oil companies went belly up overnight. Then came the 20%+ mortgage rates. The oil companies got blamed, but it was all Carter. Environmentalists were also behind the scenes and thrilled at the outcome. Then it was to prevent the coming ice age.

Biden is up to something here and I think it's very similar to Carter's ill-conceived ideas. This with the pipelines is part of it and they most certainly know how to do it. Looks like Whitmer has been recruited and is in on it. Next comes out-of-control inflation and the removal of part of the middle-class, followed by high taxes to put the lid on the coffin. Once again the environmentalists are in the background, but this time using global warming.

posted on May, 22 2021 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Interesting theory. Why aint the other 20 dem guvs doing the same? Probably cuz its a stupid theory.

posted on May, 22 2021 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Interesting theory. Why aint the other 20 dem guvs doing the same? Probably cuz its a stupid theory.

Actually, you seem to be in denial. Remember here, I'm not a Republican or Democrat. I'm just witnessing first-hand history repeating.

What's your theory on why they would be trying to shut down part of the oil production before anything is there to replace it? If it's not to decrease use by artificially driving prices up, what is it? If you don't think runaway inflation is not just over the horizon, what's different now that history will not repeat.

Just calling something stupid is not exactly discussion or debate. History backs me up. What backs up your ideas?
edit on 5/22/2021 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2021 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Thinking back, I do believe you are correct. I stand corrected.

My point still stands: fuel shortages are very bad things for the country. That is true whether the shortage is real or manufactured.

(I'll also point out that it is impossible to not be either a Democrat or Republican these days. If you agree with a high-ranking Democrat, you are automatically a Democrat; if you disagree with a high-ranking Democrat, you're automatically a Republican. Not real sure how people manage to handle the fact that so many are apparently switching parties at breakneck speed, but apparently they do.)

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2021 @ 10:46 PM
link   

The same bunch of idjits who are moving for an all electric fleet in a few years, when the electric infrastructure isn't ready, I would guess are the same ilk as those who want to shut down pipelines and believe in this climate catastrophe..
Get rid of oil, and people will have to buy electric cars, as we sit in the dark and freeze.

posted on May, 23 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Denial of what exactly? A concerted effort by Democrats to systematically shut down America's oil supply in order to lean on OPEC? Or trying to usher in a new age of electric vehicles? I am getting two different vibes here in this thread and the two issues seem to be getting entangled.

I just dont see that. OPEC was a whole bunch of countries cutting off supply quickly when we were importing, what....70% of oil from that region?

Now it's less than 10%. So now we just sell em all arms so they can kill one another.

Line 5 affects the UP and that's it. And according to oppo research, only 5% of that line goes to M"£ghan...the rest goes to Toronto. That is hardly a 1970's level disruption. It's very local.

And Keystone? People say its been shut down...but thats not quite true...CONSTUCTION...yes, PRODUCTION...no. So if an oil line is not producing anything, then how can it possibly affect supply and ergo,....gas prices?

The market dictates gas prices for the most part, low demand during covid....well you know...I wont insult your intelligence.

If anything I don't understand why they don't build a couple new refineries in ND instead of trapsing all the pipe across the entire US, but thats another topic.

And the Colonial line was bound to happen at some point...foreign hackers have been probing the infrastructure system for a long time. I suspect that in case of war, China and/or Russia would shut it all down with the click of a mouse.

But thats not a D or R problem....its a D AND R problem that has been kicked down the road waaaaay two long by both parties.

Now if we are talking collapsing oil for a green agenda, then I say no way is that happening cuz the left coast would be doing the same, plus Louisiana, Minnesota and Wisconsin are blue. Why aren't they shutting or scaling things back??

I have done a couple OP's on electric cars and if just 25% switched today, it would require 10-12 nuclear reactors to power them all, so oil aint going nowhere for a while.

Plus...jobs. You kill oil, you kill jobs and thus your career. Ergo I think she is trying to look good so she can get a cabinet position.

This is an Occams Razor moment IMHO.

posted on May, 23 2021 @ 02:10 PM
link   
So... How's the clean renewable energy research coming along? Or are we waiting until we have sucked all the natural gas and oil resources dry?

posted on May, 23 2021 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Darn it all! You found us out!

All researchers are keeping the present laws of physics in place just so we can make sure that as much pollution as possible is pumped into the air, as many wars over oil as possible are fought, and as many people as possible are driven into poverty. We'll unveil new laws of physics that make renewable energy easy only after our malevolent plans have come to fruition.

And there's nothing you can do about it! Mwa-hahahahahaha!

TheRedneck

* The above post is purely sarcasm and should not be confused with reality. It's purpose is to point out the idiocy of believing that some nefarious power is preventing renewable energy while hundreds of thousands of scientists and researchers across the planet are actively striving to improve society by finding more efficient ways to do things and new potential sources of power.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   

You're right, issues are getting conflated here. I see this as being purely political also.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join