It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whitmer. Enbridge. Impending Disaster.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

From your source...

"The federation's London Economics International study put the increase at 11 cents per gallon in the Upper Peninsula, 5 cents of which would be borne by the consumer, an increase the study concluded was "small compared with the usual volatility of weekly propane prices."

5 cents a gallon ! Holy Jesus!

On the other hand,
"Enbridge says the Line 5 pipeline provides 250 jobs in Michigan, while about 800,000 Michigan jobs are tied in
some way to the clean water of the Great Lakes. In total, more than 1.5 million U.S. jobs are directly connected to
the Great Lakes, generating $62 billion in wages, according to Michigan Sea Grant."

forloveofwater.org...

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24
Ya know, it's not just about Michigan.

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   

You'll have to cut me a little slack on my tone. I'm just pretty frustrated at how badly I see my country faltering right now, and to seemingly great applause. I'm not intending to direct anything at you personally.

It's just hard to really get all worked up over an issue that no one seems to really care about when it comes to being an inconvenience. People, society, requires energy to thrive; that's just a fact. We are killing off our primary sources of energy; that is also a fact. And the worst fact of all? No one listens when I point it out.

I'll agree there is no perfectly safe method of transporting fuels and oil. Deepwater Horizon affected my own state immensely, and I'm pretty sure it actually shifted weather patterns for a few years due to disruption of the Gulf Stream. But it wasn't so much of an "accident" as it was incompetence and poor oversight; the owners of the rig used surplus parts in critical areas that led to the rupture. They should all be thrown under a jail somewhere and left there until they're dust.

One can love and preserve nature and still take advantage of the benefits it offers. I'm living proof; I have cared for this place since I was a child, and have also used this place I live on. It is as pristine and natural as it was the day I was born, and yet I manage to live in it and benefit from it financially. Don't go thinking I hate nature; I love it. I just do something concrete about loving it.

5% may not sound like a lot, but in an area already dependent on stretched reserves, it can mean the difference between low fuel prices and a thriving economy as opposed to fuel shortages and abject poverty. That abject poverty is more often than not the cause of ecological devastation when it happens. Do you think the Amazon Basin is undergoing deforestation at such a high rate because people want to destroy it? No, the people who are allowing that deforestation are simply trying to survive and thrive with what they have. The loggers? They are doing their job. The logging companies? They are trying to keep business good so they can profit.

I made a thread once about the "Captain Planet Syndrome" as I called it. Media has painted these villains as evil people whose only goal in life is to destroy nature, and that's simply not the way it works. More often than not, people are just trying to either get out of poverty or at least not go into poverty. So the very idea that allowing people to suffer poverty to save the environment is actually absurd. A better way is to help people thrive without resorting to envoronmental devastation.

Right now, I have a hired team of loggers that are actively logging my mountain... something that hasn't been done in about 80 years, based on what we can see. Every winter, they take out several loads of trees, mostly cedar and red oak. The result? Every winter I get a nice chunk of additional income; the loggers make money; people have lumber available to build with; the mountain itself has never looked better; the younger trees are growing again to replace the older ones; there's much less brush and debris to start a wildfire; the number of naturally fallen tress is much less. There's no downside to anyone, including nature, but you'd be surprised at the ignorant statements I have have heard about my "reckless" treatment of nature.

Oil is no different. We can remove oil from the planet, use it to power our society, and the planet will simply make more. It's composed of two of the most abundant elements in the planet: carbon and hydrogen. We can transport it safely, as long as we do not force people to take financial shortcuts. Governor Witless is doing just that: she is forcing all these concessions from the owners of the pipeline, concessions that cost money, and thereby forcing them to take shortcuts elsewhere... "I wish we could afford new valves, but we have to pay all these environmental fees. Maybe we can get surplus valves and make up the difference?" In the meantime, what is Witless herself doing about improving oil transportation safety? Do you really, for one moment, think a fleet of tanker ships is safer than a pipeline?

Just look at traffic the next time you step outside: that mass of jumbled vehicles moving in all directions is exactly what you are claiming is the best way to transport fuels!

Are you beginning to get a sense of why I am frustrated right now? And even if, by some miracle, I manage to convince you that this is not about saving the environment, within 5 minutes there will be someone else, someone who, ostensibly like you, has become accustomed to trusting an untrustworthy media, who immediately expects me to do it again.

Face it: we are getting what we deserve. I don't want to see the Great Lakes devastated, of course not! But what do you want me to do about it? Spend 36 hours a day, 9 days a week doing nothing but trying to convince people who have already made up their mind of the truth?

Not gonna happen. Can't happen. That's what I mean when I say you got a "win." I gave up. I grew too cynical. Do it your way. Enjoy the consequences.

I am also a great advocate of our soldiers; if you knew me at all, you wouldn't even entertain any idea otherwise. I don't want you to have to go into dangerous areas! How is that disparaging anyone? The true enemies of our soldiers are those who would send them to die for selfish reasons, not those who want them safe! Are you seriously claiming that the safest place for our military is a sandbox filled with flying bullets and IEDs from people that already hate our guts for being us? Are you claiming that we are somehow helping our soldiers by sending them into those crapholes?

My God, man, think about what you are advocating here! I pray I just misunderstood you.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Whitmer needs to be commited to an insane asylum pronto.
She's done enough damage, already outdoing the wicked witch of the West.
Tornado + house = please God?

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Governor Witless is a tornado. She's full of hot air, she spins around every way the (political) winds blow, and she destroys everything she touches.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Let me be delicate in my response here.....I don't want no mod sandwich! lol

There are two side to every story and DTOM did not take the other side into account in this particular case. There are valid ecological reasons that this line should be scrapped. It has a history. This is purely about line 5 here.....nothing wider cuz I didn't look into anything wider.

Whitmer stopped an underground tunnel the previous admin approved, which on the surface looked MUCH better than this out-of-date-effed-up line. THAT should have been the premise of the thread IMO.

I am a country boy, but I love my fast cars. I am willing to compromise some so I can keep both. But dammit, aint nobody willing to compromise on anything nowadays for fear of "losing".

We don't send our kids to skool with a closed mind....why do we close it when we hear something we dont like to hear? (myself included)

As far as the mideast, its a craphole and those people hate everyone else for the most part. I worked there and lived it. So if we could unass ourselves from there, I would be ecstatic! Problem is....it aint just gas we are addicted to....oil makes plastic.

We are on the same side...I abhor the extremists on both sides....they shout the loudest and get all the attention.

Anyhoo, sorry to ramble....I got some new craft beers and they are making my eyes blurry.

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The big "bewilderment" is WHY NOW ?

Why now all-of-a-sudden is SHE going after this ?

Here's what many Democrats are taking as "contributions" . . . .

Might explain a few things.

Whitmer Paid Just $855 For Private Florida Flights; Nonprofit Kicked In $27,500 After Uproar

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   

The true consequences of line 5 being scrapped go far, far beyond that one line. I mentioned the I-40 bridge closure and what it added to the situation. That's much more than 5%, and all those percentages add up. I see the premise of the thread as including the consequences of shutting down line 5, which also includes every other potential transportation route and method. Nothing in this world exists in a vacuum.

If you're in Ohio, brace yourself. This will affect you directly. Governor Witless is not just doing damage to Michigan. She is doing severe damage to the entire Upper Midwest. She will ultimately, if not stopped, also be the one with oil on her hands when the St. Lawrence and great Lakes are an oil slick. That's coming... make no mistake.

And there are other national security implications even beyond that... but I'll not drag the thread into those. Just understand that the military you served requires fuel... a lot of fuel... and if there's no fuel there's no military. The area would literally be vulnerable to attack by those people that hate us so much.

Thank you for your service, and that sentiment is sincere. I'm glad you were willing to go over there when your country called. However, I don't want our country to have to call on you unless absolutely necessary. In the world we find ourselves in, there will always be a need for a well-trained, well-equipped, well-disciplined military... there is no need to make up wars. Who was it that said something like "the soldier above all others desires peace, for they have seen the horrors of war first hand"? I can't remember off hand.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Thats fair enough, but let me be clear here.....all my responses were purely within the scope of the OP. Nothing more.

What you are adding in should perhaps be a thread of its own tying in all these separate incidents together. I am unaware of the I40 deal, familiar with the area though, but perhaps if tied together may paint a bigger picture? Although Tennessee is run by a Republican...just saying.

I am not in Ohio anymore BTW, but I still love my state.....Buckeye forever!

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Just as an aside, your username is, basically, lake health.
Does it indicate a predisposition toward anything being done to lakes, rivers, etc.?
Any "contamination" at all.
No matter how safe it is determined to be?

edit on Sun May 16 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Oh well, it's all fun and games until you're in the hospital and they're using glass IV bottles again ...

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Glass syringes, paper garbage bags, and no more contact lenses, inexpensive clothing, etc etc etc

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
Interesting situation.
Also interesting that fossil fuels keep making the headlines.
Almost as if by design.

As a thought-exercise : sit back in your chair, look around the room you are in, and count the items at least partially made of plastic.

Gets boring at around 70-80-100, ya ?

Shall we see how we can ween ourselves of-off this addiction ?

( Did that with wood a couple of times, and have lot's of wood stuff around me as well as the plastic. )

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The big "bewilderment" is WHY NOW ?

Why now all-of-a-sudden is SHE going after this ?

The US is already at record unemployment; record suffering due to joblessness. The economy is already in the tank .... why would you not choose now to orchestra a complete change of economic forces?

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Tides??? BS post all he way through and through. Line 5 if something happens will shut and seal in less than 30 seconds. The State is responsible if anything bad happens because they refused to give inspection and maintaince permits for the last year. All on the gov and AG's shoulders.

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

originally posted by: shooterbrody
Interesting situation.
Also interesting that fossil fuels keep making the headlines.
Almost as if by design.

As a thought-exercise : sit back in your chair, look around the room you are in, and count the items at least partially made of plastic.

Gets boring at around 70-80-100, ya ?

Shall we see how we can ween ourselves of-off this addiction ?

( Did that with wood a couple of times, and have lot's of wood stuff around me as well as the plastic. )

Who are you talking to?
I work in the middle of a refinery.

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Where you work has nothing to do with Enbridge. I was there less than 30 hours ago watching a small group of idiots scream and yell.
Look up Great Lakes tides and imagine the damage they will cause.

The electric cable they are currently replacing has leaked more oil than Line 5 ever has but is anyone protesting the electric lines that criss cross the straights and are OIL COOLED and insulated.

Can't fix stupid.

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 03:37 PM
link   

The failure in logic here is that a pipeline is the safest method of transporting oil and using trucks puts the environment at the most risk. So is this just appeasing the generally illiterate activists? It is and just wanting to stop pipelines or shut them down is harmful activism.

Smart money, until different energy solutions become viable, is to upgrade or build new pipelines. New pipelines pose very little risk and of course, reduce risk to the environment.

The idea that anyone on any side of this does not want a clean environment is absurd on its face. The infrastructure has to be run by people who don't put politics and activism ahead of common sense.

Whitmer is a power-mad narcissist who should not be in control of anything. She does not give a damn about the environment. The world has way too many Whitmer's.

(post by Nothin removed for a manners violation)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join