It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC police suffer massive info leak after ransomware attack

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

What I wouldn't give to have Barney Fife as President right now.

He might not have been the sharpest pencil in the box, but he was honest, he tried to do his job as best he could, and he cared about the people of Mayberry.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: Bigbrooklyn
World war three? Israel with ground troops in Gaza...What better way out of an inflationary tailspin...when all else fail they take you too war...Gerald Celentea reply to: AScrubWhoDied

3 rockets launched at Israel out of Lebanon to boot!

There's a new Sheriff in town and his name is Joe Biden. lulz

Sheriff is too feminist and anti-male. I prefer Heriff.

What could be better than feminist and anti-male?

Nothing, that's what....

Great point! I had the TV on Nick Jr for my 4 year old and a commercial came on that was pretending like Harris was the best thing since sliced bread. At the end it said something like "Kamala Harris isn't making history, she's making HERstory"

Dumbest thing I've seen since libs tried using that same line for Hillary. Didn't mean to veer off-topic. It's just disgusting that they try to get into the mind of children that young. No self-worth or dignity.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

World war three? Israel with ground troops in Gaza...What better way out of an inflationary tailspin...when all else fail they take you too war...Gerald Celentea reply to: AScrubWhoDied

Sheriff is too feminist and anti-male. I prefer Heriff.

What could be better than feminist and anti-male?

Nothing, that's what....

Great point! I had the TV on Nick Jr for my 4 year old and a commercial came on that was pretending like Harris was the best thing since sliced bread. At the end it said something like "Kamala Harris isn't making history, she's making HERstory"

Dumbest thing I've seen since libs tried using that same line for Hillary. Didn't mean to veer off-topic. It's just disgusting that they try to get into the mind of children that young. No self-worth or dignity.

So glad my kids are grown. Not that much has changed, but it has snowballed for sure.

Nothing sicker than using kids for anything, let alone politics..

It's all about Virtue Points. Maybe they can append them to their Citizen Score.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I can gauruntee some of those sources and informants to the FBI and the dc police are....
John and James Sullivan (one works with antifa and the other proud boys) and they are brothers.... The antifa one also has jade sackler as his CIA handler who also filmed 3 other shootings at blm riots.
Also Enrique tarrio (FBI informant)
I'm sure that flaming pos Ali Ahkbar alexander tool who is related to kamala harris is part of it also

edit on 5 14 2021 by BerkshireEntity because: Sp

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: chr0naut

Maybe they use the same firewall as my grandma?

Ask yourself, is there any VPN software of note that is particularly "American"? LOL.

My guess is that they don't have any particularly hardened systems, proven by the fact that they keep on getting hacked despite years of experience in regard to being digitally compromised, and all that money spent uselessly on faulty cybersecurity.

Or maybe you understand what's happening and are to politically brainwashed to care.

No, I am not an American. I have no particular affiliation or preference for any American political party. Most of them are serially stupid, as demonstrated by their repeated inadequacies, and repeated attempts to excuse their failures by blaming everyone else.

I consider very few Americans as being in the top echelon of humanity in very many arenas of human achievement or capability.

The many Americans that pride themselves in their unremarkable averageness, are particularly average. It is patriotic to conform and not question the leadership.

LOL!

edit on 14/5/2021 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I think your humility is your best quality.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Guess they have the J.C. Penny and Colonial Pipeline IT team working there too...

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I have shortcomings, commensurate with my capabilities.

I know I am on the Asperger's spectrum and am useless in 'reading' most peoples emotional states. I often have to do the whole "Sherlock" thing to try and make any sense of why people do what they do.

But I do have an award that places me in the top 7% on the planet in a very specific, and barely populous, academic field of expertise, for as much as that means.

I want to do great things. So far, I have not done that 'single big thing', but I am steadily heading in that direction.

I don't think I have any humility, and I understand the irony of your comment.

edit on 14/5/2021 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

What is expected from welfare refugees?

Also the russia spectre is back and right on que.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Something odd about this...

Usually w/ ransom ware (not that I'm an expert... But I have seen it at several places of work.) The data is encrypted locally on the victims network. The data is not copied and held for blackmail purposes. You pay the ransom & get a key to decrypt your data.

Sounds more in line with something wikileaks or anonymous might do... although I've not heard of them demanding a ransom in the past...

ETA: Another thing... They call them a "Russian speaking syndicate"... yet the texts shown are in english... hmmmm
edit on 14-5-2021 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2021 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ByteChanger

That was how ransomware operated about 5-10 years ago. Since 2017 they've been doing data exfiltration and extortion, it happens all the time and you never hear of it. These are financially motivated groups that are looking for money more than anything else.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Not buying this.

Ransomware attacks don't "leak documents". They simply encrypt files in the file-system with a key being required to "unlock" them.

Maybe I missed something in the OP and I'll admit, I didn't dig through any links to the story.

Is "Ransomware" becoming the new boogy-man that we all need to now be afraid of or is it simply establishing plausible deniability so if something gets out that shouldn't have, it's because..RANSOMWARE!!1 omgz

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

I work in this industry, if you see my post above yours it lays it out pretty clearly.

Look at it from a business perspective, your data is encrypted, okay that sucks and you may need to pay a fee to get it back if you haven't backed up your files correctly. That's a one time payment of 1 million bucks depending on org size and depending on regulations and industry you may never have to let anyone outside your company know of it. By extortion and posting up this data publicly now you look at brand and reputational damage, that's worth a lot more than 1 million, for some organizations that's worth tens to hundreds of millions.

Attackers have found a new way to capitalize on all of this and are doing it daily. I can't say who I work for, but I will say that we have new cases of this popping up daily, multiple times a day in fact. For a high level check out the egregor ransomware group and the now defunct MAZE group, that was their M.O. for their attacks. There are also others but those two got the most news coverage.

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

That was how ransomware operated about 5-10 years ago. Since 2017 they've been doing data exfiltration and extortion, it happens all the time and you never hear of it. These are financially motivated groups that are looking for money more than anything else.

Well, I don't think it should be called "ransomware" anymore then. Can't they think up a new, more descriptive moniker? If it is doing data exfiltration and extorting the victims. That is a whole other level of attack.

Ransomware; there was no negotiating, No back and forth bantering ESPECIALLY with a police force... These guys got some balls on them!!

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Yeah , I hear Sergeant Johnson likes to have Women Pee on Him . Some D.C. Cops are just Weird

edit on 14-5-2021 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2021 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Well the big money is in hacking the WHO and Vaccine companies to threaten showing their lies.

If they are willing to let thousands die can you imagine how much they will play to prevent a leak?

posted on May, 15 2021 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Here is Sheriff Joe Biden, a complete nitwit.....

Although I agree, it is an insult to our beloved Barney Fife! lol

posted on May, 16 2021 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I personally call it extortionware myself, but it's not an industry term and I'm sure someone can come up with something better than I can.

It's really a combination of attacks, you gain access, escalate privileges, stage data, exfiltrate it, and dump ransomeware on the way out. It makes the decision points quite a bit different at least in the cases I've been involved in both real and simulated as training. With the older model if the victim has good backups all you really do is cause a bit of downtime. Add the extortion in there and you increase your odds of payment to some degree.

Most of these groups are out of Russia or former Soviet Bloc countries, unlike IP theft that comes mostly from China. China wants in and out very quietly, so that's why most of these attacks are attributed to Russian affiliated groups, think less state sponsored and more mafia style.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join