It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colonial Pipeline paid nearly $5 million in ransom

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
I'm going to buy a Tesla Model S now... Been waiting for something the push me to pull that trigger. It seems used ones are now like 50k.

I only have to go 25 miles one way. I wonder how far an electric scooter will take me. And I don't mean the ones you sit and drive, I mean the ones with tiny wheels that you stand on.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: seedofchucky

So the FBI should've gone in before anything happened?

That's what (idiot) judges told Trump's election lawyers.

They should have complained BEFORE the election.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Once again, it's a private corporation. They're responsible for their own cybersecurity.

Funny, I said the same thing when the DNC's servers were "hacked".

It's funny, whenever anyone criticizes the DNC's strong arm robbery of the nomination of Bernie Sanders, or someone points out the un-democratic use of "super delegates", the typical response from the sheep is "Huh, well the DNC is a /private coproration/, they can operate however they choose.

But then....how come the FBI gets called whenever anything naughty happens to the DNC?

More generally, the FBI is on speed-dial it seems for any cause du jour of Democratic citizens. The pipeline's management are probably Republicans, so the FBI will get around to investigating the pipeline attack immediately after investigating the Hunter Biden laptop evidence. Should be any decade now.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I know we've pretty much given corporations carte blanche to run this country as they see fit but they're not the government...yet.

The government didn't pay the ransom nor did they "negotiate terrorists." The company that owns the pipeline did.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

What is there to investigate? We know what group did this. They're foreign nationals. The FBI has no jurisdiction.

So I ask again, what do you want the FBI to do?

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This pisses me off to NO END.

We don't negotiate with terrorist.

If this was Trump, he would have personally tweeted about it and had his people on it STAT.

This clown administration and the lackeys who run Colonial pipeline.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Sorry, but this article sounds like complete bs.

Lol..right

"They paid 5 million in bitcoins!" Give me a break

More like a retarded excuse for Joe intentionally shutting down a pipeline.

The military needs to do their damn job and go after the domestic terrorists in charge.

Shutting small businesses, choking off supply lines...all intentional

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

THE FBI CIA NSA Should all have seen this coming as its been WARNED ABOUT MULTIPLE TIMES

Its already happened Multiple times... How many times before someone does something ?

Ransomware is easier to pay if you are lazy and don't wanna work on prevention . Of course the easy way out

Who cares right ?

Arrests come after you SECURE THE NATION With SIMPLE FIXES ...

But nooo let the FBI go chase GRANDMA from Jan 6th... and chase fake hate hoaxes.. >That is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7
I get your point, but Ransomware for Crypto is a real deal.

I've seen some stories and in some cases, THEY ACTUALLY PAY UP. It's digusting.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Except this is not Target losing control of who buys XXL Tshirts...this is infrastructure containing a substance critical to the economy, perpartrated by a foreign source. Ergo a terrorist attack.

Even tho lives were not lost, it is the same basic principle as 9-11...instill fear. This is something government should have put all their efforts into....its the main thing we pay em to do.

I mean did we pay ransom to the pirates hijacking commercial ships off Africa? Nope...peeps got SEAL'd.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Sorry, but this article sounds like complete bs.

Lol..right

"They paid 5 million in bitcoins!" Give me a break

The military needs to do their damn job and go after the domestic terrorists in charge.

Shutting small businesses, choking off supply lines...all intentional

Makes it sound like an inside job?

Who knows, anything is possible in #Clownworld

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Use my gas SUV... options my friend... I'll also let my solar panels charge my Tesla, might take a while though, but then we are all f'ed if we have no gas or electricity, some more than others. I could live about 6 months with my family as to what I have right now. Those in a place like LA would be eating each other in 3 weeks...lol

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Pretend you are a business and this is real.
It's not even realistic.
"Quick, pay them the millions!"
Those other stories are just as bad with the cities doing it.
Talk about stealing tax dollars.
"I don't know where it went, it was untraceable crypto!"
The story that a pipeline can't be operated without the internet is bs too.
On/off...open/closed
This is starting to get retarded.
Our country is under siege.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

This sounds more like a electric bicycle problem. Even if the battery runs out you can pedal the rest of the way and put the battery on the charger while you work.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

unless it is bitcoins.

The report stated that it was in untraceable crypto currency.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: CharlesT

To be clear, Biden is a sh** placeholder, but I am genuinely curious on what we expect a president to do in this situation.

I fully expect Biden to find out who was behind this, track them down, and beat them up behind a building. However, if he did that then we might find this...

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Is he somehow some competent mastermind now? Doubt it, dude can't even complete a sentence... If it was an inside job, that puppet didn't have anything to do with it if we're being honest. That doesn't absolve him from being a checked out geriatric though.

This one has multiple layers...

Was this a domestic job? Do we have proof or feelings? I'm going to go with the latter.

Also, is it the job of the military for domestic matters?

What's up with the sudden influx of wanting the feds everywhere, because I sure as hell don't want that.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:37 PM
link   

My understanding is the company operates on an intranet like infrastructure.
a reply to: CriticalStinker

You can have ONLINE/ OFFLINE / CC Systems... Its not rocket science. There should've been atleast 2 other backs up ready to go .

So it's an airgapped hybrid. They're going to have some level of state to state communication.

You don't need to have the hardware connected to system databases for state to state communication

That can be on a seperate system . So there is no interfearence .

Now, even if a system is internal and not connected to the open web as we understand it, that doesn't fully protect an infrastructure like a true airgap.

Offline = No internet Access... You can't access the system... Its simple . Not rocket science. You keep the main system offline . Then you keep logistics and SPECS ONLINE only . That way if there was a hack they have no access to internal systems.

There are ways of getting malware into a closed loop, see stuxnet.

Stuxnet functions by targeting machines using the Microsoft Windows operating system and networks, then seeking out Siemens Step7 software.

You don't use windows operating systems for OFFLINE backs up .. You use a complete Military Grade only OS to keep systems operational AFTER A ATTACK ..

You're just screaming at me about the federal government should have prevented this without really saying how.

I already mentioned how multiple times... You just don't like to read or love to become ignorant because i triggered you .

Yes, I do understand how all this works

No you do not.. You've shown ignorance and lack of understanding .

What I don't understand is how just proclaiming the fed should do more is actually helpful

So you admit you don't understand. Because that's already been answered.

I like how you said another member must be a Democrat... Well isn't it the right who says the government is generally incompetent?

Incompetence is a democrat trait. Being a apologist for incompetence is also another democrat trait . Kinda like what you are showing .

Well isn't it the right who says the government is generally incompetent? That we shouldn't rely on them for everything? Because that's something I agree with.

The "right" also just finished a term with one of the best performing presidents in modern history . He showed incompetence can be overruled with proper action . Nobody said rely on them for "Everything"

Basic National Security .... is what i am asking...

BASIC ....... National ..... Security ......

Now, obviously that doesn't mean there should be no presence by different agencies in the capacity of monitoring, preventing, and investigating attacks (which are happening every second of every day, look at DDOS attack maps).

I don't care about low level DDOS attacks as i do MAJOR ones. ...

My concern is MAJOR Infrastructure that is a MATTER OF NATIONAL SECURITY .
Once these are secured with minimum 2 BACK UPs...

Then we can deal with the little guys wanting a bite

This isn't new, this has been going on for years, you must be daft if you don't think otherwise

Only DAFT one is you with this moot point .... Murders happen for CENTURIES... Shall we give up finding them ? Rapes happen ? Shall we give up ?

Is this your DAFT LOGIC ?

If you are clueless and don't understand how it works. Get outta the way and let someone who DOES .. Simple...

"Did we blame the sitting president on the FedEx ransomware? How about multiple localities? Go look at the number of attacks and time-line darkside has taken credit for, and know they're not alone."

Of course i blame the sitting president ... I blame congress and I blame all the alaphabet AGENCIES that fail over and over again doing the same nonsense . They are all to blame for incompetence...

Simple.

This isn't a non issue, but I'm not seeing any solutions,l offered, just seething and random words in caps.

How are you gonna see solutions when you don't even grasp the basics ?

Yes we see you seething with this whole reply which had no substance. Look in the mirror if you want to see where Incompetence starts

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Once again, it's a private corporation. The government can make suggestions for what the company can do to upgrade their cybersecurity but they're under no obligation to follow those suggestions.

The other option is to pass regulations. But corporations and the Right generally oppose those.

Honestly this reminds me a lot of the Texas power crisis earlier this year. The companies in charge of maintaining the power infrastructure had known for a longtime their equipment was susceptible to cold weather. Thr federal government had even told them that multiple times. But those companies chose to maximize profits instead of modernizing their equipment.

Much like in that case, the blame lies solely with the company. They've known for a longtime that ransomware attacks occur and they might be a target. They chose to do nothing to neutralize that threat. In the end they've lost millions of dollars because they didn't want to spend the money to upgrade their cybersecurity.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I only have to go 25 miles one way. I wonder how far an electric scooter will take me. And I don't mean the ones you sit and drive, I mean the ones with tiny wheels that you stand on.

That is still rough on 25 miles as they go about 15 MPH and have not much more than 1 hour at full speed, but standing for 2 hours each way lol... 50cc moped would go about 30 mph and get you 100 MPG. You can lease a Nissan leaf for like 99 per month, but the 50cc moped might be best if you have good weather and traffic is bad. If I lived in LA I would have a motorcycle.

edit on 13-5-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join