It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Biden says More CyberSecurity Grads will Keep Gasoline Supplies High and Prices Low.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Wednesday, May 12, 2021

To: My ATS Comrades proficient in CyberSecurity,

Please share what you think of President Biden's solution to gasoline supplies being interrupted, due to Cyber attacks;

“I’d also point out that, I think what this shows is that I think we have to make a greater investment in education, as it relates to being able to train and graduate more people proficient in cybersecurity.”

“It’s important that we do this and the cybersecurity piece is one I think you’re gonna see where we need significantly larger number of experts in the area of cybersecurity working for private companies, as well as private companies being willing to share data as to what how they’re protecting themselves,” Biden said.

“I think that’s part of the long-term answer not just in terms of energy, but across the board.”
More at: thefederalist.com...

Graduating more Cybersecurity Experts will reduce the odds of future breaches of our Energy sector? If you agree, how many more do we need?

-CareWeMust

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Joe Biden doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground.
He is a simpleton, his statement is pure stupidity.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I have been in IT for a long time. I am now about 8 months from graduating UM Cybersecurity Bootcamp. I already have recruiters offering me ridiculous money and benefits. over 557,000 job openings in Cybersecurity. 3,300 in my 3 county area. One guy just got hired by the pentagon for $500k. The Solar Winds hack unleashed serious problems. The source code for MS Win 10, Exchange, and Server has been hacked by the Chinese 2 weeks after the Russian's hacked Solar Winds.

Quantum Computers are being released in 2023 and if you think we have problems now, just wait. They can decrypt current encryption standards in minutes compared to thousands of years. Since I have been in class, money has gone up, jobs have increased, and people that put their resumes online are gone within a day according to these recruiters. Things like this pipeline attack only drive it up further. I will easy make 6 digits in CS.

We need lots of cybersecurity people. It is a field that came into it's own about 10 years ago. Prior to that we did security in IT as Network Engineers. Other's did security on the servers, etc. Now we are trained speificially in security. It is a shortage of people and recent hacks that have really opened these companies up to attack.

edit on 12/5/21 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Joe Biden doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground.
He is a simpleton, his statement is pure stupidity.

To be honest, Joe answered some questions today he wasn't supposed to answer.

His "handlers" admitted last Friday that they try their best to keep President Biden from answering questions that haven't been pre-screened/approved.

Source: www.businessinsider.com...

------------------

A few hours ago, President Biden told reporters, "I'm not supposed to be answering so many questions!"

Source: www.foxnews.com...

You think Joe was given a spanking tonight for disobeying?

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Thankyou for the detailed and Experience-based response! Looks like Cybersecurity graduates are in higher demand than Coding graduates.

I wonder what the companies pay Cyber hackers? They have to stay one step ahead of the defense, which is what I assume you're training for.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:44 PM
link   

An experienced red teamer (ethical hacker) can pull in 200-300k all day long. Incident response professionals can get higher. Governance and program development folks are around 200-250k. This is with 5-10 years of experience, degree(s), and relevant certifications.

I work in cyber consulting, biggest complaints from client security departments is budget and headcount. Biggest complaint from new leadership or CISOs is lack of security awareness in the organization or a lack of skilled security team members. There are a ton of former IT folks that can fake it long enough until an intelligent leader evaluates their program.

Edit: also when it comes to ICS and OT, like the pipeline situation there are even less people that specialize in that sector of security. I would say under 10 thousand people globally, maybe even under 5 thousand. I spent 5 years in that sector and kept running into the same people at different companies every few months.
edit on 5/12/21 by Hypntick because: additional info

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Wow... I just wonder what the hell our parents and grandparents did for gasoline supply systems before computer automation?

Would it be so hard to put in manual valves and analog pressure sensors just in case.... you know, turn the wheel, watch the dial to make sure it is in the green?

There is no way in hell I would ever be 100% reliant on automation.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:55 PM
link   

President Biden says More CyberSecurity Grads will Keep Gasoline Supplies High and Prices Low.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

An experienced red teamer (ethical hacker) can pull in 200-300k all day long. Incident response professionals can get higher. Governance and program development folks are around 200-250k. This is with 5-10 years of experience, degree(s), and relevant certifications.

I work in cyber consulting, biggest complaints from client security departments is budget and headcount. Biggest complaint from new leadership or CISOs is lack of security awareness in the organization or a lack of skilled security team members. There are a ton of former IT folks that can fake it long enough until an intelligent leader evaluates their program.

Edit: also when it comes to ICS and OT, like the pipeline situation there are even less people that specialize in that sector of security. I would say under 10 thousand people globally, maybe even under 5 thousand. I spent 5 years in that sector and kept running into the same people at different companies every few months.

After talking to a guy who earned his wealth in corporate cybersecurity last year, it occurred to me that most of the hacking is akin to what used to be corporate spying, using human beings. Not really illegal, but close to it.

I suppose the same can be said of Cyber-spying/hacking....up to a certain point.

The salaries and consulting fees being paid are amazing. I suppose companies are saving a lot of money somewhere else, in order to see the Cybersecurity experts as being worth so much in compensation and benefits.

Thank-you for the very informative reply, Hypntick!

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Wow... I just wonder what the hell our parents and grandparents did for gasoline supply systems before computer automation?

Would it be so hard to put in manual valves and analog pressure sensors just in case.... you know, turn the wheel, watch the dial to make sure it is in the green?

There is no way in hell I would ever be 100% reliant on automation.

We're overly dependent on automation as it is. When your power goes out...how many hours before you're losing your mind?

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

As you see at: thefederalist.com... , Joe Biden says corporate executives told him at a round-table that the U.S. needs more educated people that they can hire.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Why is our critical infrastructure even online so that hackers can get access to it. What is wrong with our country being so dependent on risky technology, there should be no connection to the internet or any communication system that can be hacked for this kind of stuff, why does everything have to be connected together. It is dumb, extra cyber security people making mega bucks won't help, hey, maybe some of them will get pissed off and set things up so they can be hacked. A little ransomware planted in the system is good for financial security if you get canned.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 02:46 AM
link   

It's funny to see Biden talking about cyber security while his son does those things...., you know what I mean.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Critical infrastructure is connected for a variety of reasons, the easiest is for remote monitoring of process efficiencies. Think of the bean counters that want to boost profits for the company, this is in all critical infrastructure. Other reasons entail not all sites have personnel at them, some are controlled remotely by a central control center. Vendors will occasionally have a VPN connection as well to their clients for purposes of predictive failure monitoring, helps them design better products.

I agree a true "air gap" would be best, however those can be defeated as well. I was at an oil company once that was totally disconnected from everything out there. They were in a military barrier in front of their corporate barrier, you had to submit to bag scans and checks of all kinds. Laptops could have no cameras or means of recording sound, you could not bring USB or other devices on site, cell phones had to have no GPS capability or ability to take pictures or record sound. The backup data they had was stored on disk that was picked up once a week via armored vehicle, to be kept at the corporate offices.

They had hands down the best security I have ever seen, every technology you could think of as well, every security control you could think of. Yet a determined person could get in there. A person working for their vendor to do an assessment of their security posture because the client wanted to be sure they were doing everything they could. Turns out that red teaming was on the menu as well, but with all of the controls, the physical security, the lack of ability to bring tech on site, you would think it impossible. Unfortunately this was in a country that wasn't quite up to speed in the area of a smart watch, or that you could modify a smart watch in such a fashion that the charging cable could also pass data via USB, or that anyone would even think to pick that attack vector.

Yet that's precisely what happened. I was hired to perform a security assessment by their controls vendor, I was given a "get out of jail free" card, and then given insight into how they operated. I came with a group from the vendor that were there to do a regular security assessment and address some issues with technology. I walked into the gates every day with my watch on, not one soldier said anything, not one security guard mentioned it, their head of security didn't even question it. They thought that by not allowing USB devices on site that they didn't have to have controls against plugging USB devices in because it became in inconvenience when connecting mice and keyboards. I was able to obtain a few pieces of configuration and control data and pull them onto the storage of the watch and walk out the door with it. Low value target, but within the scope of the engagement.

The only way a system cannot be compromised in some fashion is to turn it off completely and disassemble it. Insider threat is almost impossible to mitigate, don't even get me started on supply chain attacks against hardware you think is clean arriving with surprises on it.

Edit: Defenders have to be right and catch 100% of the things that try and come through, attackers only have to be right once.
edit on 5/13/21 by Hypntick because: Additional info

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse
I already have recruiters offering me ridiculous money and benefits. over 557,000 job openings in Cybersecurity. 3,300 in my 3 county area. One guy just got hired by the pentagon for $500k.

people that put their resumes online are gone within a day according to these recruiters. Things like this pipeline attack only drive it up further. I will easy make 6 digits in CS.

Put their resumes online where?

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Thankyou for the detailed and Experience-based response! Looks like Cybersecurity graduates are in higher demand than Coding graduates.

I wonder what the companies pay Cyber hackers? They have to stay one step ahead of the defense, which is what I assume you're training for.

The insurance industry - something that I write about for a living - is getting very worried about cyber attacks, for a number of reasons.
One reason is that when we all went into lockdown a lot of people suddenly had to work from home, which meant that corporate computers had to be dispersed over a wide area. Personal wifi facilities tend not to be as secure as corporate ones, which opened up a lot of possible access points. (By the way, the Guardian did an excellent piece during the Sochi Winter Olympics a few years ago which showed that Russian cyber crooks were targeting the mobile phones and computers of those coming in to cover the event or even just to watch it, sometimes within minutes of arriving at the airport - hackers have a lot of experience of this.)
Another reason is the sophistication of the attacks. Cyber criminals are getting very, very good at these attacks and are constantly refining their tactics. What worried insurers is that the police often just don't have the time or expertise to follow up on reported cyberattacks, so that many companies are giving in and paying the ransom asked in the ransomware attacks. They're also reluctant to disclose any such attacks, as they don't want the bad publicity that might follow.
Here's the thing that made my eyes shoot open the other week: some people estimate that cyber criminal activity might soon be - or already is - as lucrative as the international trade in illegal drugs.
This week insurer Axa announced that it's not going to cover any ransomware attacks in France. Others might follow its lead because they just don't have the technical expertise to properly price coverage for cyber risks.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Once Joe teaches the coal miners to code, this will all be behind us.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Are you talking about "White Hats" ?
I can tell you that it was more than IT Security experts.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Wow..... J Biden is full of ideas and justifications to set-up a rigid Police State System

100,000 cyber-crime sleuths Graduates
100,000 gold bullion guards in mines and vaults
100,000 paid snitches to report non-vaxxers / non maskers

~and on & on~

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Yep to everything you've said. Couldn't have said it better. Where there's a will there's a way.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join