It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice on energy drinks

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I did a 5 Hour energy shot ONCE! It felt like I was having a heart attack afterwards. I'll not do that again.

Did you get all Tony Montana say hello to my little friend wacked out of your mind?

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

originally posted by: ketsuko
If you think Mountain Dew is unhealthy, why are you even entertaining the thought of an energy drink?

Go ahead ... I dare you to compare the amounts of sugar and caffeine in an energy drink to the amounts in Mountain Dew. I think you will be surprised.

Do as others suggest - cut back. Go to tea or coffee. Limit yourself to only allowing it before certain times of the day and make sure get good exercise and sleep. You'll be surprised how much energy you end up with.

I have one coffee in the morning at 7ish and usually nothing but water after that, and I am up to 5 hours of workout every week now, and I have plenty of energy in my mid 40s.

I saw a lot of energy drinks with zero sugar. Some are basically just vitamin water with caffeine. I also drink green tea every day, and I think the kind I drink has no caffeine in it.

Green tea has caffeine...

for my PM pickmeup I like....

Iced coffee from the 7/11 with a shot of wild turkey...for that exciting yo-yo effect and a squirt of 50/50 tincture for good measure. I don't recommended it. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking any medication or have any medical conditions consult your doctor before use. If any adverse reactions occur immediately stop using this concoction. Keep out of reach of children and store in a cool place.
edit on 12-5-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Not that bad. I got the jitters real bad and pressure and pain in my chest.

Now when I was much younger... there may have been Tony Montana level at times, but it wasn't energy drinks that were involved. 40 years ago.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It's 'freng'...not, "friend", friend!

edit on 5/12/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
It's 'freng'...not, "friend", friend!

Okay, meng, I get it.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Maybe you should see a doctor? Narcolepsy is a thing.

I suspect I might actually have mild narcolepsy.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

This isn't correct for me. I normally don't consume caffeine. I've had an issue with tiredness my whole life that isn't connected to caffeine use.

Sorry I'm a mom, so I'm going to ask you some mom questions.

Are you sleeping well at night? Do you snore, possibly sleep apnea?
Do you tonsils need to come out? Are you practicing sleep hygiene?
Are you burning the candles at both ends and wondering why you are so tired?
Do you have bad circulation, maybe some early morning exercise and crisp air will help...

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Mix with water and your all set. These also have a good supply of B vitamins.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Sorry I'm a mom, so I'm going to ask you some mom questions.

Are you sleeping well at night? Do you snore, possibly sleep apnea?
Do you tonsils need to come out? Are you practicing sleep hygiene?
Are you burning the candles at both ends and wondering why you are so tired?
Do you have bad circulation, maybe some early morning exercise and crisp air will help...

I usually wake up once or twice a night but otherwise sleep alright. I don't know if I snore or have any sleep problems. My tonsils were taken out when I was little. I'm relatively healthy aside from high blood pressure.
I've had issues with tiredness and falling asleep my whole life, and now that I'm thinking about it, narcolepsy would make perfect sense. That's what causes people to fall asleep where they sit. I actually lost a job once because of it.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I'm so going to piss off everyone that replied so far, lmao

'Tis my kind of sodas right here -- they don't really do much for energy for me, but I like their taste. Keep in mind most of what I'm going to suggest is based more on a flavor profile preference than an energy boost (again, they don't really do it for me)

My personal favorite that I like overall is Rockstar's Punched, it's a good fruit punch flavor that balances out the tart/tang/sour from all the vites. It's also basically a sack of sugar in a can, but if you treat it like an occasional soda or sugary snack (i.e A TREAT) it's doable.

Bang is pretty good in flavors, if not a bit overpriced for what it is. Coca-Cola's got a new line of energy drinks (Coca-Cola Energy) we've tried, and I kind of like them as just soda-like drinks alone, too, they aren't shabby flavor-wise. Different, but good. They're smaller cans, though, so they may actually pack a punch for folks sensitive to caffeine and such.

I'm also quite fond of the Java Monsters, they're actually pretty good as ice cold as possible.

Let's see, I've also tried Celsius, and UpTime, but to my tongue, both are...not the best tasting. However, my husband swears they actually do give a good no-jitters boost. I believe both also have less/no filler additives (like artificial coloring) so they're something to consider if that's something you look for anyway.

I've tried plenty of brands out of curiosity over the years. Red Bull, tart-ass green can original Monster, NOS, etc. I can stomach them to start, but they're all real bite-y and eventually upset my stomach after a while.

If you can think of anything in particular you see and are wanting feedback on, give it a post and I'll see if it's one I've tried before

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:08 AM
link   

If you have narcolepsy that is an actual medical condition and I do not believe they are able to fire you because of it.
Get tested as soon as you can. Do not self medicate with energy drinks, you could be making it worse.

edit on 12-5-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Exercise is the best solution.
Ride a bike, jog/walk or even do some lifting.
You'll build up your energy levels and you'll sleep more deeply at night.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

If you have narcolepsy that is an actual medical condition and I do not believe they are able to fire you because of it.
Get tested as soon as you can. Do not self medicate with energy drinks, you could be making it worse.

I have CFS/ME, narcoleptic episodes isn't solely indicative of that disorder (Narcolepsy) itself. Uncontrollable tiredness/sleeping is also a hallmark of CFS/ME, and considering Trollz's long-term energy issues, it may be worth their looking in to.

FYI, one of the best clinical explanations I've ever heard that tried to fix a root cause to CFS/ME? Was mitochondrial dysfunction. In other words, the energy center in the mitochondrial DNA doesn't get good mileage, so to speak, lol.

But yes, a thorough medical once-over should be in order. But if it's CFS, ain't # she can do even via diet. Ask me how I know.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Let's see, I've also tried Celsius

I was actually thinking of trying these Celsius drinks here. Were these the same thing you tried? How were they?
Amazon

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Black coffee, but not the filtered drip coffee that is drank in Northern America. Espresso! Italian style.
Straight black coffee will give the caffeine hit you desire and next to zero calories. It may be bitter at first if you’re a sweet tooth, but once you’re addicted to that caffeine hit you will grow to love that beautiful bitterness.
I follow an intermittent fasting regime, not strictly but mostly, and I use black coffee to get me through the mornings. I also use before long runs or hard workouts to give a little boost.
As others have said, energy drinks are poison. Particularly the ones that are sugar free.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I love energy drinks and drink a couple cups of coffee just before bed. But I have ADHD so just find the caffeine calming.

Poison for some, not for others. A previously illegal smokable is totally toxic to me and makes me temporarily schizophrenic in the smallest amounts... relaxing for others they say.

I suppose this is why it is frowned upon to give medical advice on the internet, lol.

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

Let's see, I've also tried Celsius

I was actually thinking of trying these Celsius drinks here. Were these the same thing you tried? How were they?
Amazon

I've tried the Sparkling Orange, and the still Raspberry Acai. I thought the Orange tasted pretty good, like an stronger orange flavored carbonated water -- still a light taste, but more "orange", if you will.

The Raspberry Acai is the one my husband likes, but it's not one I'd grab before the Orange. i can't really quantify the taste specifically that I dislike, but it's simply "off" to me. It may be that acai is not a fruit I like much anyway, so my expectation is already low for it? Basically, don't write it off entirely if you do like it

link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

That being said, you still don't want the amount of sugar in an energy drink. Sugar won't kill you, but it's in everything these days, so unless you're careful, you end up eating way more than you know, and that's the real issue.

link   

I have CFS/ME, narcoleptic episodes isn't solely indicative of that disorder (Narcolepsy) itself. Uncontrollable tiredness/sleeping is also a hallmark of CFS/ME, and considering Trollz's long-term energy issues, it may be worth their looking in to.

FYI, one of the best clinical explanations I've ever heard that tried to fix a root cause to CFS/ME? Was mitochondrial dysfunction. In other words, the energy center in the mitochondrial DNA doesn't get good mileage, so to speak, lol.

But yes, a thorough medical once-over should be in order. But if it's CFS, ain't # she can do even via diet. Ask me how I know.

I wouldn't say I have a problem with energy. I can be just as physically active as anyone. It's the times when I'm not being physically active, like sitting in a chair at my desk at work, that the tiredness sets in. I usually get a "sleep attack" once a day where I just kindof suddenly fall asleep in a weird position where I'm sitting.
edit on 5/12/2021 by trollz because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/12/2021 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I've tried the Sparkling Orange, and the still Raspberry Acai. I thought the Orange tasted pretty good, like an stronger orange flavored carbonated water -- still a light taste, but more "orange", if you will.

The Raspberry Acai is the one my husband likes, but it's not one I'd grab before the Orange. i can't really quantify the taste specifically that I dislike, but it's simply "off" to me. It may be that acai is not a fruit I like much anyway, so my expectation is already low for it? Basically, don't write it off entirely if you do like it

I wasn't so much interested in the taste as whether or not it keeps you awake without causing anxiety/jitters. How does it fare as far as that's concerned?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join