It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Epic Games Vs. Apple Trial Has Begun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 10:05 PM
link   
The Epic Games Vs. Apple Trial Has Begun

www.npr.org...

Epic Games, the maker of the hit video game Fortnite, brought Apple to federal court Monday for the start of what is expected to be a weeks-long blockbuster trial centered on Apple's iron grip of a major slice of the mobile economy.

The lawsuit that prompted the trial is about one app developer, Epic, a $29 billion company based in Cary, N.C., but the outcome could have far-reaching consequences for companies in Silicon Valley and the future of how money moves on smartphones and other devices.

If Epic wins, Apple, a $2 trillion company, could be forced to reshape the policies of its highly lucrative app store, which has been the target of growing pressure from Washington and the European Union.

From what I've read Epic has a good case along the same lines as the Microsoft antitrust case from decades ago. But not quite the same.

Apple having such a large foot print in the mobile app space and it's way of bullying its vendors stifles innovation as a means for the vendors to differentiate themselves and drive down costs. That directly hurts the consumer while insures Apple continues to dominate the market as nothing new has a chance to come along and disrupt the industry.

Apples argument is week. They say they can not allow side loading because their customer base expects and desires their more curated app store environment. But that doesn't make a lot of sense; because if a particular consumer does in fact want to be lead around by the nose by apple they still can even if side loading were permitted.

Where this has interesting implications is in the political world. In a world where conservative voices are being deplatformed a kids video company may come to save the day.

edit on 7-5-2021 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 12:36 AM
link   
This is the kind of post that should get plenty of attention, but there just ain't much to say in response beside, YEP!

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

Hmmm i hate Apple because Apple...i hate epic games because of their hostility and disdain towards Linux so...i dunno # 'em both...

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I hope Epic loses because to hell with them.

But i can’t be in Apple’s favour because they are even more evil and loathsome, so after they win the trial i hope their enslaved Muslim workforce burns down their concentration camp factory.

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Apple and Google spent millions to creating each platform. They should be allowed to dictate terms for other companies trying to make money off the platforms. Valve Digital Rights Management Platform charges 30% fee. EA and Activision didn't like that, they made their own platforms to sell games and dlc on.

Mobile game publishers and app makers should work together to create a mobile device and OS to compete against Apple and Google, if they feel the fee's are too much. See how much they like spending millions to create a platform only for other companies to mooch off it.

I think Epic going to lose this case. They have the option to launch a browser to get around Apple fee's but they don't want to do that.

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

Good luck Epic , always happy to see the litigious Apple get a taste of its own medicine.

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Echo007
I think Epic going to lose this case. They have the option to launch a browser to get around Apple fee's but they don't want to do that.

How does launching a browser get around Apple's fees? We're talking about sideloading of apps onto the iOS platform, not browsing. I'm rooting for Epic on this one -- has much larger implications which can only be a positive for iOS users if they win.
edit on 8/5/21 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Apple and Google spent millions to creating each platform. They should be allowed to dictate terms for other companies trying to make money off the platforms. Valve Digital Rights Management Platform charges 30% fee. EA and Activision didn't like that, they made their own platforms to sell games and dlc on.

Mobile game publishers and app makers should work together to create a mobile device and OS to compete against Apple and Google, if they feel the fee's are too much. See how much they like spending millions to create a platform only for other companies to mooch off it.

Surely you don’t need to spend millions to create a platform? Isn’t there some other way to download an app other than through apple or google? What happened to just going to a developers website and downloading directly?

Google and apple have a monopoly on the app marketplace that needs to be broken up.

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Apple's store Apple's rules, fair enough. Problem is when Apple's store is THE source of apps for customers' devices, with Apple taking a 30% cut of all transactions per store terms.

This has been brewing since the App Store launched, and hopefully this case finally settles things.

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 06:42 AM
link   
If we're lucky court fees will bankrupt both entities

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul

Surely you don’t need to spend millions to create a platform? Isn’t there some other way to download an app other than through apple or google? What happened to just going to a developers website and downloading directly?

Google and apple have a monopoly on the app marketplace that needs to be broken up.

For an Apple device it is very difficult to download an app outside the app store. You need to jailbreak the device.

Android allows you to side load very easily.

This case against Apple is Epic asking for its customers to be able to download their app onto an Apple device with out going through the Apple store. There is also other implications wherein Apple doesn't allow certain features in apps that it allows on its platform. Features that app developers would like to implement that Apple does not allow.

The same case would not be brought against Google because it does allow third-party app stores and side loading.

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Epic may very well lose the case; but there are groups, including Congressman, waiting for that outcome so that they can argue that antitrust laws are broken in the 21st century and need to be strengthen to deal with Silicon Valley.

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Apple will counter by disabling devices with side load software by random checks to see if an app is in the Apple Store.

Which could mean the end of Flappy Bird devices being sold as rare items.

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Yes! Especially after they stole The Beatles Apple and because they had more money than The Beatles, were able to prevail in the court system with the theft. Theft is illegal except if you have more money and lawyers than the victim you stole it from.

new topics

top topics

join