It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Georgia Law Legalizing College Athlete Endorsements......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 03:52 PM
link   
sports.yahoo.com...< br />
This is a load of crap. I don't see how this junk can be legal. So they are allowed to make money but the school can take 75% and give it to whomever they like? Really? Not sure if this is the right forum but it's hard to know sometimes where this crap lies.
...also allows schools to take athletes' money

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) signed the state's new bill regulating athletes' name, image and likeness rights on Thursday. Kemp held his signing ceremony at the University of Georgia with a Bulldog backdrop in the athletic department's recruiting lounge. The symbolism was meant to be obvious for a law ostensibly designed to let athletes profit off their own image rights starting on July 1.

But there's a provision in the law that allows colleges to have significant control over athletes' endorsement money.

The bill that Kemp signed into law allows schools across the state to take up to 75% of an athlete's endorsement income. That cut would be deposited into a pool for all athletes at the school and then redistributed upon athletes' graduation.

I agree with this tweet on the page:

Anyone else read the Georgia #NIL bill? GA schools can require athletes to contribute up to 74.99% of their NIL earnings to a fund for all athletes to be doled out at graduation/withdrawal from school. SCHOOLS should set up such a fund with proceeds from their $million contracts

They have kept college athletes from earning money for decades and now they want to give them the right to use their NIL but yet, they can take three quarters of all earnings? Id say, if I were considering a school in Georgia, to hell with the whole state and go somewhere that doesn't have a stupid law like this. Hope they can't recruit anyone, see how a law like this can turn on you. Nick Saban is probably giddy about this thinking he'll get even more recruits. As if he needs them lol. Stupid Governor, et al., hope this bites them all on their collective asses.

As the article states, though, it's a little more complicated as the NCAA has done nothing about this, even though someday there will be Fed laws regarding this which should have moved them to do something, but they didn't and now we are getting stupid state lawmakers signing laws like this.

I don't think either the lawmakers nor the NCAA can get this right but we'll have to see how it plays out. Eventually. A music major can teach music and make money, why the hell can't "student/athletes" make money? Greg Anthony, famous for winning a championship here in 1990, had his own company stripped from him just so he could play AAA basketball and make it to the NBA. That was thirty years ago and almost nothing has changed.

I have a hard time understanding how a law like this can be enacted. Are they so seriously tone deaf and can't read the room? This is the best they can come up with, "protecting" their precious plantations?

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Problem is NCAA for Basketball and football (not so much baseball) has basically become a farm system / minor league. The athletes are supposed to be amateur students, but it is an open secret they are not students. Sure, every now and then you get a D1 guy who is legit engineering student and start athlete, but 95% of them are dumb jocks who would never gain admission to those schools even with affirmative action lowering requirements.

The students see themselves being exploited. IN some ways I agree, in other ways I don't. YEah, the schools are raking in millions and some of it needs to be shared with the athletes either directly or indirectly. ON the other hand, the athletes are benefitting from a developed sports program and seeking to earn a shot at the pro's.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The big schools make millions every year of these slaves...oops student athletes. Also factor in the millions (billions?) from student loan payments. I won't even get into child abuse rings using universities...yea college is awesome bro sign me up.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I bet they make the student pay all the taxes before the take the 75% cut as well .

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Amend the bill to state that ONLY those without a NFL invitation at graduation be given a portion of that fund. Those that are to be drafted would forfeit their share because honestly, they're off to make millions anyway.

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: cognizant420

That would not surprise me at all.

a reply to: EternalShadow

Wow, that's a narrow minded way of looking at it. You'd be happy stealing money from kids, working honestly?

posted on May, 7 2021 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Um, they're adults. I'm not for stealing anything. I'm just saying the player who's on his way to a lucrative contract doesn't necessarily need that money verses the athlete who's career is pretty much over after they graduate. The guy who won't be going to the big show was still a teammate that helped elevate others to go on to the NFL. They don't do it by themselves.
edit on 5/7/2021 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on May, 8 2021 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher
The days of the NCAA reign are big money sports are almost over. You will see in the next couple of years maybe a decade a complete reorganization in football/basketball. Power colleges don’t really have much need for the NCAA if home states open this Pandora’s box.

I can easily see the forming of a Super Conference with the likes of Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Notre Dame, LSU, USC and a few others coming together for the big money, paying their players and leave the NCAA in the dust.
edit on 8-5-2021 by Bunch because: (no reason given)

top topics

join