It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guilt, Shame and Fear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Let's talk about marketing. I think we all know what marketing is but a quick definition

www.investopedia.com...

Marketing refers to activities a company undertakes to promote the buying or selling of a product or service. Marketing includes advertising, selling, and delivering products to consumers or other businesses. Some marketing is done by affiliates on behalf of a company.

By that definition we can assume the results of a successful marketing campaign are profits. Alright.

So, what are some of the most effective tools marketers can use to market their products for profit?

This thread's going to be about three tools we've seen used all year long to market certain experimental treatments that have worked so successfully these companies are turning out record profits.

These tools are guilt, shame and fear.

www.searchenginejournal.com...

Discover how you can use guilt, shame, and fear as marketing tools and see some examples of how to implement them the right way.

The important tools we can use to convince consumers and decision-makers to purchase the goods and services we’re marketing: emotions.

There are the positives. The promise of reward. The good feeling of doing the right thing.

But more powerful are those we generally think of as the negative emotions – chief among them are shame, guilt, and fear.

Guilt

to effectively use guilt in marketing one needs to tie into a perception of wrongdoing.

What’s important to understand is that for guilt to work as a marketing tool, it needs a basis in reality.

That is to say, a person will not feel guilty about something they have not done wrong and so as marketers, we need to tap into pre-existing actions (or lack thereof) and remind a person of their wrong.

The marketing angle comes in providing a solution. A way to atone for the wrong, even if they didn’t have a guilty conscience prior to seeing your message.

The list includes things like:

Clean water
Nutritious food
Education
Health care
Surgeries

Shame

Let’s begin by discussing the difference between guilt and shame.

Guilt is based on a past or present misdeed and is internal in nature.

Shame is generally based on the present or future and is external in nature.

Shame entered the marketing field during the industrial revolution as people moved into more heavily populated areas and started comparing themselves to each other.

Marketers were quick to pick up on the ability to make people self-conscious about how others might perceive them, and capitalized on it. That is shame marketing.

Basically, tapping into their insecurities. Unethically done, creating insecurities that do not and should not exist.

While there are no set-in-stone rules, the successful campaigns tend to focus on areas the person is generally not sincerely self-conscious about and/or are non-judgmental

Fear

Where guilt and shame are generally (though not always) subtle tools, fear is a blunt instrument.

As with the other two, fear lends itself to certain niches but the motivations are very different.

With fear you are not tapping into something that a person has done, nor are you tying into social hardship. No, with fear you are reaching into the basest of emotions… the ones there to keep us alive.

If you want to use fear you need only one thing, a message that either ties into a universal fear (like pain) or a situational fear (like public speaking or heights).

Fear doesn’t work for all campaign types.

It lends itself to those with a topic that can be tied to universal or situational fears.

OK, there's the overview. Now let's think back to some of the marketing using these tacticts over the course of 2020. All year, fear has been the number one. Fear of death. Every day it has been nearly non-stop reporting on covid infections, numbers, deaths. Every day to drive up fear.

As was admitted by at at least one media person the death toll and numbers were hyped to drive fear.

Shame and guilt have player a large part. Slogans like 'we're all in this together' or 'we need to flatten the curve', antimask shaming, with such things as studies that imply antimaskers are sociopaths or with such phrases as 'you don't want to kill grandma do you?"

The same tactics are now being used directly for the experimental treatments themselves. The fear of 'new variants', the guilt and shame that 'we can't go back to normal until everyone's been jabbed.'

OK...so what's the product being marketed?

Why, the experimental shot of course and after an intense yearlong global marketing campaign, they are making bank.

www.nytimes.com...

The company said its vaccine generated $3.5 billion in revenue in the first three months of this year.

www.marketwatch.com...

Moderna Inc. MRNA brought in $1.7 billion in sales of its COVID-19 vaccine in the first quarter of 2021, marking the company's first significant billion-dollar revenue haul this year and also the first time it's ever reported a GAAP profit. Moderna had earnings of $1.2 billion, or $2.84 per share, in the first quarter of 2021. This is compared to a loss of $124 million, or 35 cents per share, in the first quarter a year ago

www.cnbc.com...

J&J said its pharmaceutical business, which developed the single-shot Covid-19 vaccine, generated $12.19 billion in revenue, a 9.6% year-over-year increase.

J&J said it now expects full-year profit of $9.42 to $9.57 per share, compared with its previous forecast of $9.40 to $9.60 per share.

www.nytimes.com...

AstraZeneca’s vaccine has brought in $275 million in sales so far this year.

To wrap this up...

How does that saying go?

'There's a sucker born every minute."

Well if you've bought into this marketing campaign based on guilt, shame and fear,. you just might be...

A sucker.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

This entire "epidemic" has been a great opportunity for social engineering.

Just look at the Karen's and Kevin's with masks now.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I'm sure I could sue if my loved one or myself had severe side effects or death......oh...wait.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I remember when I went to school they actually taught that peer pressure was a bad thing.....

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It’s all BLM now...Basically Life with Masks from now on.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Even better, those techniques don't even have to work on you, just the ones with power over you.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I agree with Bill Hicks and his views on marketing.

I won't repeat it here because it will be removed but if you know the bit I'm on about this should make sense.

For those who don't know, it's worth looking up. You can thank me later.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: DBCowboy

It’s all BLM now...Basically Life with Masks from now on.

I refuse to wear an ordinary mask. I prefer to wear a gaiter or bandana and pull it up to cover my mouth and nose when in a place that requires a facial covering. When in doubt always opt for a fashion statement.

www.foco.com...

www.amazon.com...

edit on 6-5-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Dollar store bandana FTW. Cost me a Buck twenty five, comes with the added bonus of a double layer and makes me look like some kind of desperado
. (at least in my mind it does
)

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Dollar store bandana FTW. Cost me a Buck twenty five, comes with the added bonus of a double layer and makes me look like some kind of desperado
. (at least in my mind it does
)

I still have my ghutrah when I want to look badass.

I also cut the leg off of a pair of camo shorts, pull it over my head and wear that. I probably should have washed it first....
edit on 6-5-2021 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Shemagh and dark sunglasses make an even bolder statement...

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Shemagh and dark sunglasses make an even bolder statement...

yeah, that mostly dispels the guilt, shame and fear concept!

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Nah cause i only wear anything at all because I'd feel guilty if a business got shutdown of fined because of me.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 03:13 PM
link   

It is basically a little more solid than cheesecloth though.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I wear a burka. Fun, safe and family friendly.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

I agree with Bill Hicks and his views on marketing.

I won't repeat it here because it will be removed but if you know the bit I'm on about this should make sense.

For those who don't know, it's worth looking up. You can thank me later.

Have always liked Bill Hicks but even more so the older I have become, he was spot on so many things. He would be off the charts about wearing a mask.

LOL was this about just the woman and a can of Coke?

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

He was on an epic rant about marketing and advertising doing nothing good for the world .

then suggested what they should do to themselves to make the world a better place.

He would get cancelled these days.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 05:19 PM
link   

(Snip double post) (Note to self: refresh the page before leaving so it doesn’t do that as often)
edit on 6-5-2021 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 05:37 PM
link   

... And all this sucks.

I am now being shamed by people who think this jab is the way to get us back to normal.

My friends mom didn’t understand why I wasn’t getting the vaccine yet. She said she was a scientist and flabbergasted that I was going to wait(I’m not waiting, I’m just farting in the wind).

new topics

top topics

join